Cove 2 gets its revenge

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Cove 2 gets its revenge

Post by LCF »

For three and a half years, I have been saying that the rock slopes at Cove 2 were an ankle fracture looking for a place to happen.

I was wrong.

It wasn't an ankle fracture.

Yesterday, after the second of two absolutely great training dives, during which I kept my cool in midwater, managed a bag shoot and a gas switch and two very nice ascents, and otherwise exceeded my usually rather dismal expectations for myself when out of sight of the bottom, I fell climbing the hill in my doubles, and did a violent face plant. The result, after 4 1/2 hours at Harborview, was that I have broken my cheekbone where it forms the platform to support my eye (the thin plate of bone between my eye and my sinus). Initial estimates of time out of the water: EIGHT WEEKS!

Peter is already scheduling boat dives with me as boat tender. That's cold.

And I am going to have to remember what I did with my spare time before I learned to dive!

I tried to attach a photo, but you'll have to go to our gallery to see me in technicolor: http://www.tsandm.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=231
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Cove 2 gets its revenge

Post by Sounder »

This is going to need to be a time-progression of photos - that bruise is moving up and it'll be changing as time goes on.

This was the part I didn't include in the dive report. Poor Lynne taking a spill, in doubles, and catching herself... with her face.

Get better soon Lynne! In the meantime, while I wish you weren't forced to be out of the water, we truly do appreciate your willingness to run the boat for us.

BTW - Lynne stayed in good spirits the whole time despite being cold, tired, and having a facial fracture.
Last edited by Sounder on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

Get well soon!

And I've got a planned three to four months out of the water this summer, so I empathize.
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Oh ... that looks so much like Chris Finley's step-mom the day she slipped on the rocks in Cove 3 and almost tore her eye out.

I do hope you feel better than that looks ... or at least have access to some good drugs for a few days.

I hurt just looking at it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

yowch! so sorry to hear that, lynne. i wish you a speedy recovery.

i think one of the captions under your photos should be:

"you should see the OTHER guy!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

My sympathies Lynne - ouch ouch!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Ouch! That sucks! One of my greatest fears of diving is falling in my gear while maneuvering to and from the water. The logs at EUP, getting to the beach at 100' rock, even sometimes the logs at muk after a storm. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Jake
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Lynne - OUCH! I hope you feel better soon.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:"you should see the OTHER guy!"
Yeah, Peter is a mess. :stickwhack:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sounder wrote:
spatman wrote:"you should see the OTHER guy!"
Yeah, Peter is a mess. :stickwhack:
Good thing he had lots of witnesses! I can just see him trying to explain to the cops how that happened and he had nothing to do with it! :dontknow: :dontknow:

Hope you aren't in too much pain and that recovery goes well. It's heck having to nurse yourself!

I agree those guys aren't showing the proper respect asking you to run the boat. :lalala: :lalala:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wow....that looks like it REALLY hurts!

I hope that you recover quickly!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I think you need this....
Attachments
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:I think you need this....
Valerie?!?! :angry:

I was going to bring a football helmet with me on Thursday when I saw Lynne!! Why must you have the same twisted sense of humor I do?! :steamingears:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sounder wrote:
Valerie?!?! :angry:

I was going to bring a football helmet with me on Thursday when I saw Lynne!! Why must you have the same twisted sense of humor I do?! :steamingears:
It's a sickness... :bow: :eek:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Ouch that looks painful. Hope you feel better soon. On the bright side I gues s :smt024 this means you get to hang out with us on NWDC more :smt024
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Wow! That really sucks! Yes, it looks painful but 8WEEKS without diving-that really hurts! The first several times I wore my doubles (what was it Valerie, 5 or 6 times?) I fell for one reason or another but the worst that ever happened was a skinned knee.
Here's to a speedy recovery!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

D'oh! STITCHES! gah!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

You know when you're watching a friend, and they trip while walking, and talking, and you feel bad, and want to be sure they're okay, but you can't help but laugh, so it comes out in a "Oh hoh hoh hoohhh Are you oka hay hay?" half laugh, half concern expression.

Looking at the first picture of you, and the expression on your face , followed by Peter squaring away your tender duties made me do that. 0]

Get better!
D(B)
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Ouch, that looks painful. :crybaby: And no diving for two month? I feel for you, that REALLY hurts. Hopefully it will heal soon...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

"I coulda been a contender!"

What a drag about the fall! I'm so very sorry and I hope you have a very speedy recovery, not too much pain, and a lot of people pampering you over the next 2 months - POOF, make it so!

On the plus side, you have a KILLER shiner, and so that's something. (I used to play Rugby and the bruises were always fun to compare)
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Sorry to hear about the injury - those pics make it look really painful. I hope you are able to recuperate quickly!
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Oh Lynne, you have such a flair for the dramatic. It's just a scratch, walk it off, it'll be fine........ :shootself:

I hope doesn't hurt to laugh because I heard once that laughter is the best medicine. Seriously though, that looks painful. I wish you didn't have to go through that. Those pictures made me wince!~

We're all pulling for a quick recovery! :grouphug:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Damn. I'm sorry, Lynne- that looks painful! You need some big old "Jackie O" sunglasses!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Oh my,
Looking at those pictures was painful. I wish you a speedy recovery and so sorry about the 8 weeks out...grrr.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

OUCH!!!
Let me know if you need a fat piece of frozen tofu for that shiner! :roll:

I hope it is a speedy recovery!