Offboard 02 for the mCCR

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Offboard 02 for the mCCR

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
bigsky wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
70mins of deco? Jeesh for that kinda BT I would have done 20-25 (on OC), how on earth did you rack up that much deco in 12mins?
70 minutes was total run time including descent
D'oh. Yeah. I can't remember how much runtime we had when we started the ascent, but I think I'm close. And yes, I cleared at 70 minutes.
Damn. Good thing you didn't actually get a decent BT time in, you'd still be out there finishing your deco.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:
Damn. Good thing you didn't actually get a decent BT time in, you'd still be out there finishing your deco.
VPM with 12 minutes at 290 gives 88 minutes of deco with a setpoint of 1.3. Not making that up.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
VPM with 12 minutes at 290 gives 88 minutes of deco with a setpoint of 1.3. Not making that up.
What diluent? What the hell do you get for 20 or 25mins BT? Is it counted in days or weeks?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:
dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
What diluent? What the hell do you get for 20 or 25mins BT? Is it counted in days or weeks?
I put in 10/55, Just guessing. 20 minutes of bottom time is four weeks of deco, you get a sandwich for lunch too.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pretty close. It was more like 12/60. What's the big deal? You do the depth, you do the time, right?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:Pretty close. It was more like 12/60. What's the big deal? You do the depth, you do the time, right?
I don't see the big deal--actually sounds reasonable (I don't know Jack about those types of dives). That is why I ran it in V-Planner, just to see what total runtime is.

Richard is being the deco :police:
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

To answer the question-

290 feet, 12/60 dil, 1.3 sp

15 minutes bt, including descent = 85 min Runtime

20 minutes= 121 min RT

25 minutes = 154 min RT

(I could have sworn Richard said he had a copy of vplanner.....)

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:To answer the question-

20 minutes= 121 min RT

25 minutes = 154 min RT

Question: do you run a constant PPO2 on ascent as well? I assume your computer monitors? Reason I ask (and I don't have V-Planner in front of me) is that switching to a higher PPO2 and/or switching to a lower helium mix would lessen that deco considerably.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yes, we do. But dives like this start pushing the CNS clock pretty hard- that last 25 minute profile is at 84%. I'd rather not try and game the system very much- that way I have some margin of CNS exposure left over for the chamber, if I need it.

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yes, we do. But dives like this start pushing the CNS clock pretty hard- that last 25 minute profile is at 84%. I'd rather not try and game the system very much- that way I have some margin of CNS exposure left over for the chamber, if I need it.
Makes sense, although I wonder how valid the CNS clock is.

These dives are interesting to me because of the exposure time in a dynamic environment.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:These dives are interesting to me because of the exposure time in a dynamic environment.
Uh.....Yeah! I find them more interesting than my pool dives, for example. Of course, the pool can be pretty darn dynamic, too, if you don't clear out before the seniors lap swim.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:To answer the question-

20 minutes= 121 min RT

25 minutes = 154 min RT

I do have vplanner, but without knowing your diluent had no way of knowing what to put in.

20min BT on 12/60 OC, gets you 30mins on O2, 30mins on 50%, and 15mins on 35/25, 7 min ascent from 190-130ft, plus roughly 4 mins to get to 190. Total ascent for a 20min dive = 86mins = roughly VPM +2. I'm not doing this dive, but if I were I would probably pad the O2 by 10mins, but it would still be <100mins runtime. It would not be a cheap dive.