Cove 2 4-11-09 (with video)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Cove 2 4-11-09 (with video)

Post by mz53480 »

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PUjZ7bL2g

So this was my 1st dive at Cove 2 and I was to meet up with Dwashbur and family around 2pm.
Left Olympia around 12:30pm and traffic was great, got to the park around 1:45. Weather topside was looking good, but as soon as I show up, here comes a fire truck, ambulance and police and I hear that there was a diver incident....great.....
A little after 2 I get a call from Dwashbur and I meet him at the parking lot, he fills me in on the incident happenings and that he and his family helped with the response. Kudos to you all!
So after all the excitement, he and his family (and awesome dog "serious black") are still good to go for diving with me. Wow, what can I say....THANK YOU!
So around 2:45pm we head out to the bouy and drop down. My dive buddy (Eagle Eye) stops me around 10fsw on the descent and has already spotted a nudibranch. Cool! The whole dive was filled with "hey, come look at this" and spot-on navigation.
Got to check out the Honeybear and back around to the hockey mask (Pez, was this your old avitar?) and back up.
Saw lots of goodies, including 2 sets of lings guarding eggs and a crab that was wanting to pick a fight with my camera....
(hehehehehe).
Stats: Dive time ~50min, max depth: ~46fsw, water temp ~46'F.
Thanks to all for a great dive and hope to get together again!

Happy Diving!

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Cove 2 4-11-09 (with video)

Post by dwashbur »

MZ,
Nice editing! It was great to meet you and dive with you, and we're all hoping we can do it again real soon. "Eagle Eye" is chenari on this board, by the way.

I think my favorite part of your video, apart from the hockey mask part, which as you know had me burning through my air too fast because I was laughing so hard, is chenari chasing that little sculpin around the ball trying to get a picture. She told me she could hear you laughing while you filmed.

Our pictures from the dive are at
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq17 ... 9/?start=0
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

dwashbur wrote:MZ,
Nice editing! It was great to meet you and dive with you, and we're all hoping we can do it again real soon. "Eagle Eye" is chenari on this board, by the way.

I think my favorite part of your video, apart from the hockey mask part, which as you know had me burning through my air too fast because I was laughing so hard, is chenari chasing that little sculpin around the ball trying to get a picture. She told me she could hear you laughing while you filmed.

Our pictures from the dive are at
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq17 ... 9/?start=0

Yeah, that sculpin was being a pest! He would sit for just the amount of time for Chenari to get the camera up and just before she would click it off, ZOOM, he would move! I was laughing after the 5th or 6th time he did that. I think we finally ganged up on him and she got a shot...
Nice pics too! :smt038

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Actually, she never did get a shot of it.
Dave

--
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

mz53480 wrote:Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PUjZ7bL2g

So this was my 1st dive at Cove 2 and I was to meet up with Dwashbur and family around 2pm.
Left Olympia around 12:30pm and traffic was great, got to the park around 1:45. Weather topside was looking good, but as soon as I show up, here comes a fire truck, ambulance and police and I hear that there was a diver incident....great.....
A little after 2 I get a call from Dwashbur and I meet him at the parking lot, he fills me in on the incident happenings and that he and his family helped with the response. Kudos to you all!
So after all the excitement, he and his family (and awesome dog "serious black") are still good to go for diving with me. Wow, what can I say....THANK YOU!
So around 2:45pm we head out to the bouy and drop down. My dive buddy (Eagle Eye) stops me around 10fsw on the descent and has already spotted a nudibranch. Cool! The whole dive was filled with "hey, come look at this" and spot-on navigation.
Got to check out the Honeybear and back around to the hockey mask (Pez, was this your old avitar?) and back up.
Saw lots of goodies, including 2 sets of lings guarding eggs and a crab that was wanting to pick a fight with my camera....
(hehehehehe).
Stats: Dive time ~50min, max depth: ~46fsw, water temp ~46'F.
Thanks to all for a great dive and hope to get together again!

Happy Diving!

MZ
:fish:

Yep, that's the mask from Pez's avatar.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice video! looks like some terrific viz that day.

so what's in the plastic baggie? is that something you found?
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

PM sent.
Dave

--
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:so what's in the plastic baggie? is that something you found?
It looked like the invasive Ciona to me.

Once my MBA is finished, I'm going to do the AAT training with Janna. For now, those of us who don't have the WDFW removal permit we need to report them to the AAT folks with as detailed information as you can give regarding their location.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey all, just a heads up. Dave had found, tentatively ID'd and sent in a photo of the possible nasty to me previously.

Once I verified that it was indeed the invasive, Ciona savignyi (nice observation, Sounder!) I asked him if he could do a return visit to remove it and dispose of it, told him the exact procedure and what he'd need to do it and how, and he was kind enough to go back and do just that, keeping me informed every step of the way. The sighting has been recorded in the REEF database and will be reported to WDFW as well.

A big thank you to Dave and his family for both reporting AND removing it for us.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------