Discovery Bay

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
defied
I've Got Gills

Discovery Bay

Post by defied »

Any good entry points? Shore or boat, doesn't matter. Input for some good locations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D(B)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Discovery Bay

Post by CaptnJack »

There's only one boat launch, on the west side.
http://www.rco.wa.gov/maps/presentation ... AreaID=790

Here's the interactive tool you can use to find any ramp in WA.
http://www.rco.wa.gov/maps/boat.htm

Mostly private ownership around Discovery Bay, I don't think there are any shore dives. In any case, "Ed's fault" is a surprisingly good little wall. Its in several boat dive books. The wreck of the Warhawk is a fascinating wreck since its about 100yrs old. There's alot left considering she's in salt water, wood, and burned.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks!

D(B)
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Another vote here for Ed's Fault. A nice wall.

If you happen to find an eLed light near the anchor point (~25fsw), it's mine. :)

glenn
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Glenn,
I have plans to dive Ed's Fault Sunday. I will keep and eye out and let you know if I find it.

Maybe. :neener:

-Mark
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

0] Thanks!

What's the best way to get to the wall? Boat, I assume? Anyone have coordinates/directions for getting to, and landing on the wall?

Thanks again!
D(B)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Boat only.
Its in the NW Boat Dives book (by Dave Bliss)

Here's its basic location from chart 18465

The Warhawk is the wreck right across the bay, the symbol is a bit further south than it really is though. She's about 200yards south of Point Discovery, in that little bay. Not hard to find on the depth sounder. Please don't anchor on her, she's old and fragile.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Ok here you go. First you need to find the Gardner launch site. Go up 101 past discovery bay until you see a boat launch sign on the right. here is a map
launch.jpg
Launch and follow this map to the site marked. Approach on a vector between the point on the east side and a small white cottage on the west shore. Motor in slowly watching you depth sounder until it suddenly goes up 20 feet and drop anchor. You should be right on the fault.
Ed's fault.jpg
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Wow!!! Guys, that's awesome info! Thanks a ton!

I will make sure not to drop anchor on the wreck. I will probably have a pilot on standby to drop us in, and maneuver away until we surface on SMB.

Thanks again!

D(B)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

One minor warning, well a couple I guess. The launch ramp is just that. A concrete ramp, no pier or any place to tie off so you will need someone suited up to hold the boat after launch. The other is watch the point at mid course. Stay well out from the point as there is a sand bar that goes way out. Also keep an eye on the winds. it can get rough if the wind comes up from the north or south.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Once you find the shallow spot on the Fault, it's better to motor shoreward before you anchor. Anchorage is better and there are less critters to disturb or smush when dropping the hook. #-o Look for 35 to 45ft of water.

FWIW, here is another site to look at. If it works for you, move your mouse around on the chart and it will display Lat & Lon in all the different formats on the left. Ed's Fault is the blue dot just right of center.

http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage/in ... ontype=DMS

-Mark
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:Wow!!! Guys, that's awesome info! Thanks a ton!

I will make sure not to drop anchor on the wreck. I will probably have a pilot on standby to drop us in, and maneuver away until we surface on SMB.

Thanks again!

D(B)
The Warhawk is only in 35ft of water. So its real easy to find her on the depth sounder then motor off 50ft to the north and drop the hook. Even in so-so vis, swimming 50ft south to a 150+ft shipwreck oriented roughly east-west is pretty easy.