April 17 - 18 Boat Dive

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

April 17 - 18 Boat Dive

Post by Scuba Scott »

Tides are very nice for a good boat dive. Time to start planning. Waterman's Wall is what I was thinking. It would be nice to have a couple boats going to a location.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: April 17 - 18 Boat Dive

Post by LCF »

Were you thinking about that Friday (April 17th)? Tides in the morning are lovely . . . but I've had a hankering to go do the Possession Point ferry. Although Waterman's is always a good dive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

I enjoy PPF but given the great tides I would select Watermans. PPF is available with more tide exchange. Tacoma Narrows Bridge would be a good one also.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, the bridge would be fun -- I've never done that. But I think I'd have to find a boat tender.

I can always have my arm twisted to do Waterman's. It's currently my favorite Puget Sound dive. I love the nudibranchs that have eaten the Food of the Gods.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Strange tides those days--the current is ebbing even through the slack before flood, the time to dive seems to be before the afternoon ebb, but that maxes at -2.5 knots.

Any idea how Waterman's would behave on those tides? I know it is small exchanges, slack before ebb, but how about where it is essentially ebbing all day?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't know, but from about 5 am to 11, you've got less than a half knot of current, according to the model. It would always be blowing the same direction, but there wouldn't be much of it.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey Scott, I am game to do Watermans again with you. If need I can bring my Zodiac up and launch again from Manchaster. Let me know. I love that site.
Charles
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Hey Scott, I am game to do Watermans again with you. If need I can bring my Zodiac up and launch again from Manchaster. Let me know. I love that site.
Depending on wind and wave conditions, I will launch at Alki or Redondo and run over. We can meet you there like last time or hitch a ride on one of our boats up here. We can work out the details that week. I need to get my boat in the water soon to make sure everything is fine. I have not had it out this year.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I'd love to get in on this if there is room. I loves me a good boat dive. Are they rec depths?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Watermans Wall is 40 fsw to about 170 fsw. There is plenty to see above 130 fsw. I have only been there three times. Most of this time is 70 fsw - 120 fsw and then go play in the kelp. I have seen some nice GPO's here. The wall is actually stair steped in the areas I have dove. Not a big tall wall like Henry Island, or Dalco. Current is the primary issue so I only go on days where the exchange are less than two feet and slack is at a good time of day. If weather is good I will take my 21 foot glasply that can cary 4 divers and gear easy. I have the hard top off right now and no soft top.

Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

I would like to do Watermans on Saturday, April 18.

Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

OK,

Less than a week away. LCF, are you going to Watermans on Saturday? Aquanautchuck, are you bringing up your boat? Norris, are you still in on this dive? I have two divers on my boat with me.

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Sorry Scott, I found out that I have a family commitment yesterday I need to go to. :crybaby: :banghead: :crybaby: Keep me posted though if you do it again this year. It is my favorite dive up there.
Charles
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I dont' know if you guys have looked at the weather but it looks like it's going to be pretty good. I live near Manchester and if you guys decide to put your boat in there I'd be willing to host the divers afterwards for some burgers and beer or something...
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
Charles
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Well Aquanaut remember that I'm up here and any time you want to head up this way to dive give me a heads up I'm usually interested in getting out there. I only moved here about 7 months ago, I moved here from Ohio (so cold water diving isn't new), so I'm still learning all the NW dive sites. I have never done KVI tower or many of the other boat only sites up here, and my home is usually pretty open to divers. Also hood'sprot is only about 50 minutes from me, so when heading there drop me a line too.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm not diving this weekend, as it turns out -- I'm beached for at least a month. So I'll be boat tending for my husband's tech class. I don't know if we're going to do Waterman's or go up to the San Juans.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Hmmm not sure what is up now....I could just opt out for a shore dive Sat.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Kitsapdiver,

I'm not sure if we will drive around or launch on this side. I will need to do a test run with the boat this week and make sure there are no issues after a winter storage. Need to get the old girl in the water and see what she can do. If we come from the east by boat we can pick you up on the way. I will check for locations that will work. Cold post dive beer and food is always on my list of things that I plan on for this kind of day.

Scott

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

kitsapdiver wrote:Well Aquanaut remember that I'm up here and any time you want to head up this way to dive give me a heads up I'm usually interested in getting out there. I only moved here about 7 months ago, I moved here from Ohio (so cold water diving isn't new), so I'm still learning all the NW dive sites. I have never done KVI tower or many of the other boat only sites up here, and my home is usually pretty open to divers. Also hood'sprot is only about 50 minutes from me, so when heading there drop me a line too.
I will keep that in mind. I usually try to do Blake Rock and Blake Island at least once a year.
Charles
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

I might launch at Port Orchard. Can someone tell me if this is a good launch?
Attachments
Watermans Wall and Port Orchard.jpg

kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I can drive by tomorrow and talk to them, and look at the facilities.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Well guys, I guess I am lucky I canceled because of family plans. I just spent 4 hours in a Endodontis office getting an emergency root canal. :angry: :angry: :angry: . By the time I was done I wanted to :enforcer: myself. I can't think of many more things that are more painful. You all have a great dive and make sure you post a great "Jake " report for all of us.
Charles
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Sorry to hear your pain. I hope I never go through that. Brian, (ozzie diver) will be joining me in the morning and we will drive to Port Orchard and launch. I never got the boat in the water this week for a test run. I will take my 19 foot boat since we only have two divers. Plan to splash for our first dive about 10:00am. We will take a line down over the wall to mark our exit point and get back to the anchor line. I will do my best to get some good pictures and video.