Cove 2 AED update...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Cove 2 AED update...

Post by Sounder »

(No :threadjacked: please. :thankyouyellow: )

This initiative has not died despite the discussion having moved onto other subjects...

I have been in contact with the City of Seattle and had a great conversation with the Senior Coordinator of Aquatics (Kathy referred me to him) with the Parks Department today. He really likes the idea of having the AED at the park and likes the suggestion of putting it in the entrance to the Alki Fish & Crab Co.

Presently, he is looking into the hoops we'll need to jump through. As it sits (and these are more "dotting the i's and crossing the t's" than "hurdles" or "hoops"), we're working on solutions to the battery monitoring, training local parks staff and potentially restaurant staff or kayak rental staff (though they wouldn't be the only ones able to use it... just a few people who are routinely there need to be trained) through the Red Cross procedures (City policy for the Red Cross certification), and there are a few other minor details he is researching.

The good news is that he likes the idea, and says that if we are willing to pay for it and donate it to the City, the rest is just details we can work out.

Where do we go from here?

1. Continue researching the details and working with the City while "dotting the i's and crossing the t's."

2. Once we get the green light, we collect funds and purchase the unit (which needs to be a Philips HeartStart to stay uniform with the City's other units) and signs. I will head this process up as well and, depending on the funds we need versus what we raise, explore the potential of branching out to other dive clubs (though I'd like to keep it from NWDC if possible). With more time on this than we had with Jake's donation, I'm aiming to take personal checks and/or open an account specifically for this purpose so we don't get hit with 3% fees on paypal (though this will be an option if needed).

3. Install the unit and have a little "kick-off" of some sort. I'm thinking a little dedication, followed by a big-buddy dive, then beer and pizza somewhere afterward local afterward.

I've got leads on AEDs but I'm unsure whether they're the right one or not (looking into this). I may be looking for a Red Cross trainer to provide the training free or at a discount so if you know someone who teaches through Red Cross (Valerie?), please send them my way. If we end up being authorized and responsible for the installation, I'll be looking for professional help with that too (Josh?). I may also be looking for a little media coverage to get a positive diver message from Seacrest Park for a change (Ed?).

So, that's where we're at. Stay tuned for more details - I expect to hear from my contact at the City early next week and will report as there are developments.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Cove 2 AED update...

Post by BillZ »

Great work Doug! Other than just providing financial support is there anything else you need help with?

Edit: just a thought, since the city has standardized on a brand they may get some kind of contractual volume discount. It may be worth asking if we can piggy back on their purchase.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BillZ wrote:Great work Doug! Other than just providing financial support is there anything else you need help with?

Edit: just a thought, since the city has standardized on a brand they may get some kind of contractual volume discount. It may be worth asking if we can piggy back on their purchase.
I've already asked them about that and there is an option available to us for a volume discount under their contract. I've also got two other leads on getting them at or near-cost so I need to see what brands that opportunity applies to.

Thank you for your offer to help. At this point, there isn't anything to help with outside of what I wrote above regarding the training, installation, etc. I will be sure to request assistance at the first hint of needing it, but for now things are moving along quite smoothly.

If this comes off without a hitch, I'm going to explore the possibility of getting units in other locations. If each dive club purchased one, we could have them in several locations. I'd love to see NWDC set an example for other clubs to follow.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Doug, you're wonderful at this kind of thing. I'll give you a check whenever you want one.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

That was my dream two years ago so I'm glad you're on it Doug.

Sorry, I teach for ENA, AHA, EFR and DAN, but not Red Cross. But, I'm willing to do a DAN AED class for the cost of the book only ($12.00) to anyone who's interested.

-Valerie
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I don't know what AED stands for ?? Please advise
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote:I don't know what AED stands for ?? Please advise
Automated External Defibulator. They re-establish normal heart rythyms electrically
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:That was my dream two years ago so I'm glad you're on it Doug.

Sorry, I teach for ENA, AHA, EFR and DAN, but not Red Cross. But, I'm willing to do a DAN AED class for the cost of the book only ($12.00) to anyone who's interested.

-Valerie
Thanks Valerie. If I can get them to approve the DAN class, we'll do it. If they have to have the Red Cross class, then that's a hoop we'll jump through. I'm sure I can find a firefighter or RN or someone who is a Red Cross instructor who'd donate their time or do it at a cut rate. My buddy in Tucson is one - a plane ticket to bring him up here would be all it took and I'd cover that cost. We'll see - I'll know much more next week once we finish all the "details" research.
LCF wrote:Doug, you're wonderful at this kind of thing. I'll give you a check whenever you want one.
Thanks Lynne. I enjoy social-service projects like this and it's nice to have such a wonderful community ready to help at first request.

I'd like to dedicate the AED to Jake Rotman-Koenen (BigFameOne) from NWDC with a little metal plate affixed to the mounting box (I'm emailing Tobin to see if he could make a really cool one for us). I think the dedication of the unit plus Valerie's donated AED course for interested parties would be a wonderful way to honor Jake.
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

I'm interested in sending a donation- where and when? I am also interested in getting a personal AED for my truck for those dives at less developed locations (lets face it, I- and most of my dive buddies- are at the age where we need to cover all the bases). I already have a DAN O2 kit. Any interest in a group purchase to maybe get the cost down?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
Zen Diver 2 wrote:That was my dream two years ago so I'm glad you're on it Doug.

-Valerie
Thanks Valerie. If I can get them to approve the DAN class, we'll do it. If they have to have the Red Cross class, then that's a hoop we'll jump through. I'm sure I can find a firefighter or RN or someone who is a Red Cross instructor who'd donate their time or do it at a cut rate. My buddy in Tucson is one - a plane ticket to bring him up here would be all it took and I'd cover that cost. We'll see - I'll know much more next week once we finish all the "details" research.
LCF wrote:Doug, you're wonderful at this kind of thing. I'll give you a check whenever you want one.
Thanks Lynne. I enjoy social-service projects like this and it's nice to have such a wonderful community ready to help at first request.

I'd like to dedicate the AED to Jake Rotman-Koenen (BigFameOne) from NWDC with a little metal plate affixed to the mounting box (I'm emailing Tobin to see if he could make a really cool one for us). I think the dedication of the unit plus Valerie's donated AED course for interested parties would be a wonderful way to honor Jake.
I know a Red Cross CPR/cardiac life support instructor. I will ask if she's an AED instructor (I am guessing yes) and tell her the situation and find out what kind of deal we might be able to get.

How many responders is the City requiring to be trained? Am I reading this correctly, we have to pay for city or restaurant staff to get trained in order to donate + install the AED?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Post by kenpodan »

As it happens...I'm an American Red Cross AED trainer and I'd be happy to do a class for the cost of lunch at the fish and chips place!
Let me know if you need me...
Cheers!
Dan Edwards
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

kenpodan wrote:As it happens...I'm an American Red Cross AED trainer and I'd be happy to do a class for the cost of lunch at the fish and chips place!
Let me know if you need me...
Cheers!
Dan Edwards
This would be fantastic, thank you!!

I'm not sure what all will be required, but people around there may be required to be trained, and while it doesn't seem like a big deal, not having it in the budget means we have to take care of the whole thing.

Thank you so much for the offer - I will be in touch!!

:thankyouyellow:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

This is cool, I got certified at my company when we got one in-house, definately worth adding to your First Aid Training.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

I was just nosing around on the DAN website and saw that they offer matching grants for the purchase of AED's.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trai ... dgrant.asp
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

ldevore wrote:I was just nosing around on the DAN website and saw that they offer matching grants for the purchase of AED's.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trai ... dgrant.asp
Great find! We'll need to see if our situation is a good "fit" for it - I'm looking into it and contacting them with questions. Worst case, I've got a line on getting one at about the same rate we'd get with the DAN grant.

In other news, I heard back from the City again today. We're talking with Risk Management and the Parks' Safety Officer... it sounds like those may be the last hurdles I need to clear. If they have any objections, I will work with them to reach a solution that works for everyone - and as several X1 owners here will attest, I can be very persuasive when I need to be.

Stay tuned!!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've got another update on the progress of this project...

The various offices involved now all appear to have signed off on it. The manager I've been working with at the City is now going to meet with the concessionaire, determine where they want it mounted, and then draw up an agreement for maintenance and care.

It looks like we're getting very close to the green light on action steps of collecting donations, purchasing the unit, engraving the dedication plate, and mounting the box.

Once it's installed, I think it'd be really nice to have a short dedication to Big Jake, followed by a big buddy/club dive, beer and pizza.

Thank you all for your continued support of this project. I'm VERY much looking forward to beginning the collection of donations after receiving the green light from the City.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Thanks Doug for all your work on this. Keep us advised.
Charles
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Bless you for following through on this, Doug. Let me know where to send the check.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Came into the office this morning to find the following emails from two of the key players:
Thanks Doug, I'm in the process of putting together an agreement and will get back to you soon.
Followed by this one...
Hello all. I believe we can draft up a letter of agreement to allow for this to happen. We will send draft to you sometime today.
:partydance: :partydance: :partydance:

So we've got a bit more time on this than we had for the donation to Jake's family, and if possible, I'd like to save on Paypal fees where we can. I'll cover the 3% fees from every donation that needs to come in via Paypal, in addition to my family's contribution. Beyond that, people could write me personal checks (I'd likely open a seperate bank account to keep personal and project assets separate).

Once I figure out the best way to collect donations, I'll put out the call.

This has been a lot of work with little to show for the effort and time. It's really great to see this dream starting to come to life. Thank you to everyone who has supported me and offered to help with this. It looks like we're about to pull the trigger on this. I think it'll serve as a great example for other cities to put AEDs at popular dive sites and I'd like to get other dive clubs involved in funding them. For now, I think it's fitting that NWDC own the one at Seacrest Park/Cove 2 and that it's dedicated to BigFameOne.

If you have a moment today, go back and read through some of Big Jake's posts and his dive reports - they're locked and "sticky" at the top of the dive reports forum.

Here's to NWDC stepping up to save divers' lives. :mmmbeer:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Excellent!!
Roughly how much do we need to raise?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Excellent!!
Roughly how much do we need to raise?
Well, I'm not exactly sure yet. It's going to depend on what the mounting box is going to run and whether we're able to pull off the purchase I'm hoping for. I can't imagine it'll be more than about $2k and I'm guessing (hoping) it'll be less than that.

Even $3k is pretty inexpensive for what it may do for someone.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Update: The AED was ordered, and there was a recall which effected the unit we ordered so that added a bit of time, and then there was some shipping confusion, but all has been cleared up and the AED is on it's way!! It should be here anytime, at which point I'll get with Josh and we'll coordinate the installation.

Stay tuned!!