Questions on 7’ primary hoses???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Questions on 7’ primary hoses???

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I have been seeing a lot of 7’ primary regulator hoses lately, and after sharing air with Nwbrewer I realized how nice it was. I would really like one of these setups. I have a couple questions about this.

1: What’s a good price and where can I purchase one?

2: If I have a back inflate BC, not a back plate, can I safely route the long hose?

3: How to setup and route the hose once I get it?

Thanks for the help
Sheahan
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Questions on 7’ primary hoses???

Post by Norris »

Great questions I also am looking to go this route so people there are two that are anxiously awaiting answers.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sheahan I don't remember what exactly your BC has on the sides, I tuck the extra hose from the 7'er under my canlight. A 5'er on you would simply wrap under your armpit, and still give you the benefits of a long hose for airshares. No canlight needed.

I would expect in the $30-40 neighborhood.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

sheahanmcculla wrote:I have been seeing a lot of 7’ primary regulator hoses lately, and after sharing air with Nwbrewer I realized how nice it was. I would really like one of these setups. I have a couple questions about this.

1: What’s a good price and where can I purchase one?

2: If I have a back inflate BC, not a back plate, can I safely route the long hose?

3: How to setup and route the hose once I get it?

Thanks for the help
Sheahan
Sheahan-

NWSD carries 5' and 7' hoses, however I have no idea how much they are.

You DON'T have to have a bp/wing setup to use a longhose. You can use it with any bc. Important things are how the hose is routed, how the excess hose is "stowed" (using a light canister, or if no light canister, tucking it in the waist strap), and most importantly, how quickly and efficiently it can be donated...meaning, nothing that "traps" the longhose from being deployed (slung pony bottle on right, etc).

Beyond that, there's the mechanics of how to deploy it, but in short, you want to make sure its cleanly routed, nothing trapping it, etc

For single tank diving, with no can light, you may consider a 5' hose.
Last edited by BDub on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

what first stage do you have?

backinflate shouldn't be an issue, do you have a can light? what is the right side waist strap like? weight pocket or something over there?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I am 6' tall and have tried the 6' hose for a long time. I tried the 7' hose and was much happier with it. Most of my dives are with a single tank.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I typically route mine under my can light (on the right side waist strap) when I have the can light, and when I don't (i.e. during a day-time dive in the tropics) I just stuff the hose into my waist strap right where the can would usually rest. The 7' hose can be used without a can light - it can run under whatever you've got on your right hip or can be stuffed there. The key, as has been mentioned, is to keep everything secured and "clean" to prevent snagging or hanging-up on stuff.

Once you go to a long-hose/necklace set-up, you'll wonder why the whole world doesn't dive that way.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

CaptnJack wrote:what first stage do you have?
Aqualung Titan
CaptnJack wrote:backinflate shouldn't be an issue, do you have a can light?
No, but am working on it
CaptnJack wrote:what is the right side waist strap like? weight pocket or something over there?
It is weight integrated. Back inflate.
Took a quick phone photo
Took a quick phone photo

I would hate to get a 5' hose and then have to buy a 7' down the road. But I am also pretty small and 7' might wind around me 10 times. Do I also need a clip? (Don't know the technical name) to hold it to a D ring before the dive?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Regarding the decision between stuffing a 7ft in the waistband vs. running a 5ft under the armpit my vote is stuffing the 7ft. I used to have my canister on my plate instead of my waist. So I stuffed the 7ft hose in the waistband (as illustrated in the 5thDx DVDs) and it worked great. It was comfortable and functional. I do some shallow freshwater dives on occasion without the canister light (useless on shallow dives on sunny days) and revert to stuffing the hose. Getting used to doing this lets you comfortably use the 7ft hose under all conditions (wetsuit/drysuit/canister/no-canister/cold/warm/).

Update: While I was typing you posted the pictures, and looking at the BC, stuffing might be a challenge (no exposed waistband).

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

He could stuff it into the waist at the bottom of the arm hole and then come back out and across the chest, round the neck, and into la boca. That might route it easier than trying to get it in the opening in the middle (on his stomach), but only trial will tell for sure.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Good Questions, I am tagging along for this as I have also decided to go with a long hose setup. One of the things that has been holding me back is my octo. It's one of those flat ones and wouldn't lend itself to a neclace setup.

So do I just buy a another second stage like the XTX50 is use for my primary? Or do I go for a cheaper model? And if I did do this how would this affect a potential Doubles configuration down the road?

I'd like to do as little rebuying as possible in the future
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

I have a spare (possibly two spare...would have to check; the offer below applies to both) 7' hose at home. The usual black rubber, and barely used. I bought it to do some O/C doubles diving before the first Antarctic attempt last year, and then swapped for MiFlex this year, as I really was trying to save as much luggage weight as possible and I'm slowly moving everythign to MiFlex.

Since I'm really a CCR diver, it's done little but sit in the "spares" pile on the shelf for a season, and before that, got very little use. If you want it, I'll sell it for $25...

[EDIT] = two folks in line for hoses already :)
Last edited by camerone on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Mattleycrue76 wrote: So do I just buy a another second stage like the XTX50 is use for my primary? Or do I go for a cheaper model? And if I did do this how would this affect a potential Doubles configuration down the road?
Your second should breathe as well as your first... think about it - if you need it, you want it to be every bit as good as your primary in breathing resistance.

Any of the Apeks regs will do...the XTX50 is a great choice, but used TX50s and TX40s and ATX series regs come up all the time and have the same guts inside. Any of them are a fine choice.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Good Questions, I am tagging along for this as I have also decided to go with a long hose setup. One of the things that has been holding me back is my octo. It's one of those flat ones and wouldn't lend itself to a neclace setup.

So do I just buy a another second stage like the XTX50 is use for my primary? Or do I go for a cheaper model? And if I did do this how would this affect a potential Doubles configuration down the road?

You can use an octo second stage for your necklaced regulator (not the flat one) if you so choose, but I did not.

My reasoning was that I wanted my necklace to be of the same quality as my primary because it would be what I would be breathing it in the event of donating to someone in an OOA situation.

And this is from someone who doesn't have a ton of discretionary scuba units to spend on gear - but I elected to not scrimp on my life support. For me it was as simple as buying a second stage Delta IV with the long hose attached. It became my primary and my former primary became my necklaced backup. It has worked great - the only thing I don't like is that the hose is a bit too long (my necklace hose) and I need to switch it out to a few inches shorter hose.

YMMV
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Good Questions, I am tagging along for this as I have also decided to go with a long hose setup. One of the things that has been holding me back is my octo. It's one of those flat ones and wouldn't lend itself to a neclace setup.

You have the Apeks/Aqualung flat backup right? That should breath fine, and while it's not the greatest thing for being on a bungee'd backup, they do work. Laividil used one like that for a while. he eventually got another XTX, but they do work ok as a backup until you can afford something else. Don't buy something cheap, you already have that. I'd use the one you have until you can afford something better. You've got a while before you'd be doing any "big" dives where the difference in second stages would really be a big deal.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, when you've got someone on your primary, you definitely want a top-quality secondary for yourself. Things are stressed, things may be chaotic, and the last thing you need at that time is a sub-optimal regulator for yourself.

That point goes toward traditional octopus regulators too - when someone is in their greatest need, they want the best regulator they can get... not some el cheapo regulator that was "thrown in as a bonus" or one the owner bought a cheap version of to save money because it's "not something that'll be used every day."
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Before I got my BP/W and can light, I dove a jacket BC and a 7' hose. I moved about half of my weight to a weight belt and just tucked the hose under the weight pocket just like it was a can light. Worked just fine. I also used the Aqualung hockey puck as my bungeed back-up for quite a while. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. Just make sure you get the right hose length to put it in the right position. Mine was too short and for a few dives if I used the back-up, I had to kink my head a little to the right. That being said, as soon as I had some spare $$ I purchased a far better regulator for my back-up and am much happier with it.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I would guess that BC has a velcro cumberbum under the larger "hip" area. I would run the 7' hose off a downward facing port on the titan (there should be one) and your backup hose off the next one higher up (both on the right side of the reg obviously).

Then tuck the 7' hose into the space between the weight pouch part of the BC and the cumberbum. If you get a 7' hose you'll have enough slack to make a good deep tuck. If the hose slips out go inside the velco sumberbum. A 5ft hose won't need tucking. A 6ft hose will need tucking but even if you were 4'6" tall its unlikely to stay put since it won't have a long enough loop below the BC parts.

I have no idea where to put a can light on that BC.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Shehan:

a. I periodically dive a Balance with an Airsource inflator/octo combo;

b. My singles reg is a Titan with the primary on a 5 foot hose;

c. I believe in keeping things simple.

So, you liked the long hose for air sharing -- so do I. It looks like you have the inflator/octo combo on your BC -- if so, I'd just start out by getting a 5 footer or even a 40" hose. You will get the benefits, learn how to use the system and then as you migrate to a more "technical" setup, you'll change this or that.

Despite what people might write, putting a long(er) hose on your primary and using the inflator/octo combo (again, it looks like that's what you have) will get you started to the "dark side" without a problem -- or at least it did for me!

BTW, I can put my can light (Salvo, 21W) in my Balance pocket -- there is not reasonable way to put most canlights on a Balance.
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

I went with a 7' miflex, bright yellow. Works well. I stuff the extra under my waist belt. Works well.

Miflex (sp) seemed like a good choice for this. Flexible, strong, and not that much more expensive.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

WoW ! Thanks for all the help and advise. It seems like long hoses are prefered by lots of people on this board. I will make my decision and get a longer hose next week most likely. Then I will pick your brains for the rest: like getting a neckless, shorter secondary hose, and winding the primary hose properly. I believe I will also need a swivel bolt snap for the primary?
CaptnJack wrote:I have no idea where to put a can light on that BC.
Me and Brewer had it on my tank band, which seemed like it would work, but never got to try it. I had to bail on that day.
There is no cumberbun in front, it's like a hiking backpack. so there is room to stuff hose.

I am glad I don't have to jump out and buy a back plate and wing right away. This long hose thing will boost my confidence as a good buddy. I want my buddy to be confident that they will be ok if something happens to their gear.

Again Thanks for all the help I really appriciate it! And am very excited to get my hose. :bounceline:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There may be a way to zip tie the canister on by the weight pouch. Back on the tank means you probably need help to turn it on (not that big a deal but if it gets caught and turns itself off its nice to be able to get it yourself)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:There may be a way to zip tie the canister on by the weight pouch. Back on the tank means you probably need help to turn it on (not that big a deal but if it gets caught and turns itself off its nice to be able to get it yourself)
It wasn't a big deal with the light I loaned him, switch in the lighthead. Something like the Salvo 12watt LED would be the same.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

camerone wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote: So do I just buy a another second stage like the XTX50 is use for my primary? Or do I go for a cheaper model? And if I did do this how would this affect a potential Doubles configuration down the road?
Your second should breathe as well as your first... think about it - if you need it, you want it to be every bit as good as your primary in breathing resistance.

Any of the Apeks regs will do...the XTX50 is a great choice, but used TX50s and TX40s and ATX series regs come up all the time and have the same guts inside. Any of them are a fine choice.
I haven't dove any of the XTX regs, but i've tried ATX200, ATX100, ATX50, TX50 and i think ATX40 regs and they all breathe about the same. The 50/100/200 are better than the 40 because the spring resistance is adjustable underwater and that's the only determining factor that I saw. The 100s/200s seem to be designed to solve the problem of separating people from excess disposable income.

Similarly with my Atomics, I've got Z2s which are fine.

Point being, don't just buy the most expensive regulator you can find because you don't want to be cheap... Buy from the high-end, high performance regulator line, but not the most expensive you can find...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Sheahanmcculla, once you get your hoses, if you want some help setting your rig up I'd be happy to give you a hand. I'm beached these days, so I'm excited to do anything I can that's diving-related!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames