A Bad Day Diving???

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

A Bad Day Diving???

Post by Seaslave »

I took three pictures and then my brand new Casio FLOODED :angryfire:
We dove the north side of Sucia Island Wednesday morning. I got down to 105fsw, flicked my light around and saw this beautiful basket star and started snapping. Things went down hill from there. The camera started scrolling through it's menu's and then worked fine. I thought the button was just stuck. Took a few shots and moved on. Found my next subject and nothing, camera turned on but no lcd. Now I know somethings wrong. Looked in the housing and see water sloshing around on the inside :angry: My buddy can hear the river of profanity spewing from my mouth underwater! Oh yah, and vis sucked, maybe three feet. Looks like the Fraser River has the runs....
So I pulled the battery out and let the camera dry out. It turns on, but the lcd is dim. Am I totally screwed or is there any hope? Any camera guys have any tips? :shootself:

-Mathue
Basket Star 1.jpg
Basket Star 2.jpg
Basket Star 3.jpg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: A Bad Day Diving???

Post by LCF »

No advice, but some sympathy. I did a dive on Sares Head a couple of years ago with my beloved Dimage, and at 100 fsw, discovered the housing was completely flooded. Turned out I had closed it on a fruit fly wing. It was a painful lesson, and no, the camera couldn't be revived.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Ouch! Your camera is fried. Did you notice what caused the flood when you opened the housing? I've had two Casios and never had any problems with the housings at all.
I hope you had some kind of insurance or that Casio will take it back and give you a new set up.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If it is fairly new purchased from a authorized dealer and a factory housing they may replace it especially if there is a history of problems with that housing. but your pretty much at their mercy. Hope you get lucky. Other than that I'd say :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: I have had several such sad days and the consensuses is that salt water is highly toxic to electronics. The slightest touch on any charged circuit and you might as well have poured acid on it. There is no way to neutralize it.

Sorry I can't be more help but that is the answer I have gotten from all the experts. Most camera repair places will tell you not to even send it in for repairs.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

One suggestion for all you camera buffs. If you have room in your case place a couple pieces of sham-wow inside preferably where it can't touch the camera. That stuff is really good at sucking up water and may just save your camera if you have a minor leak.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Bummer dude. Good luck with your effort to replace it. Maby my A620 will float your way. Come down and join me on Saturday and you will forget all about it. Well perhaps not. But I guarantee you a good dive day on my boat.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Tough break Mathue - ouch... and awesome pics of the basket star - double ouch...

And yes, the camera is 99% likely completely hosed.

Good news is you only have to replace a camera.

I'd take the camera case, close it, take it on a dive or at least soak it to make sure there isn't a flaw in the housing.

As you know, a TINY piece of just about anything will cause wicking that will become a flood under pressure. The fact that you saw water "sloshing" means that the leak was small initially... hopefully just something getting caught in the o-ring, so all you have to replace is the camera. And it is a good camera, worth replacing IMO since you already have the housing.

Good luck!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Thanks everybody for the the sympathy and the advice. I'll start shopping around for a new one. I did find a little sand on the housing over near the hinge. May have been the culprit, who knows :dontknow:

-Mathue