Edmonds incident

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RebreatherNut
Frequent Bubbler

Edmonds incident

Post by RebreatherNut »

I just saw on the news that there was a dive accident in Edmonds.
Anybody have more information?

RBN
"One minute to go, Luck-meister! Then I'll be down on you like a buzzard on a gut wagon." - ALF
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds incident

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

:dontknow:

from king5.com

EDMONDS, Wash. – Police are investigating a possible drowning in Puget Sound near the Edmonds ferry dock Friday afternoon.

Washington State Ferries spokesperson Susan Harris says it was a diver in distress.

A person could be seen taken away on a stretcher from Brackets Landing near the ferry dock.

I hope they're wrong and that person is ok.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

And this from kiro7:

SEATTLE -- A diver in distress was pulled to shore by another diver at a dive park in Edmonds dock, said Washington State Ferries spokeswoman Susan Harris.

Two people were diving at the Brackett’s Landing dive park in Edmonds when one diver pulled the other out and called for help.

The Edmonds Fire Department arrived and provided CPR to the diver, Harris said. He was transported to Stevens Hospital and his current condition has not been released.

Harris said he was alive when he was transported.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Here's hoping somebody just got tired swimming waaayyy out there and needed help getting back.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:Here's hoping somebody just got tired swimming waaayyy out there and needed help getting back.
Yeah, but unfortunately CPR isn't a typical treatment for fatigue. Sure hope he/she is ok.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

My prayers are with them tonight.
Charles
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sounder wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Here's hoping somebody just got tired swimming waaayyy out there and needed help getting back.
Yeah, but unfortunately CPR isn't a typical treatment for fatigue. Sure hope he/she is ok.
As well as things are typically reported in the media, who knows what actually happened? Hoping everyone is OK.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Sounder wrote:
As well as things are typically reported in the media, who knows what actually happened? Hoping everyone is OK.
Good point. This is true - let's hope the media botched it.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

This is this morning out of the Everett Herald...

http://heraldnet.com/article/20090418/NEWS01/704189815
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

An unconscious diver was pulled out of the water by his partner on Friday evening at Edmonds Underwater Park, a scuba diving area, police said.

The partner then told onlookers to call the police, Edmonds police Sgt. Don Anderson said.

Paramedics from the Edmonds Fire Department treated the diver, an adult man, at the scene. The diver was later taken to Stevens Hospital in Edmonds, Anderson said.

The diver's name and details about his condition weren't available Friday.

The Edmonds Underwater Park is popular among scuba divers. It features man-made reef structures and diverse marine life.
Is it just me, or does this seem to be happening a lot more than usual lately? Why so many diving related accidents recently?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Fishstiq wrote:
An unconscious diver was pulled out of the water by his partner on Friday evening at Edmonds Underwater Park, a scuba diving area, police said.

The partner then told onlookers to call the police, Edmonds police Sgt. Don Anderson said.

Paramedics from the Edmonds Fire Department treated the diver, an adult man, at the scene. The diver was later taken to Stevens Hospital in Edmonds, Anderson said.

The diver's name and details about his condition weren't available Friday.

The Edmonds Underwater Park is popular among scuba divers. It features man-made reef structures and diverse marine life.
Is it just me, or does this seem to be happening a lot more than usual lately? Why so many diving related accidents recently?
I had the same sentiment, maybe it should be a separate thread though, non incident specific.

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

one reason may be that as the weather gets sunnier and warmer more people are dusting off there gear, trying to remember how to get it all together and going for a dive with a buddy that is probably in the same exact scenario.

just my opinion
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

I had a discussion with my students hubby today. He's been out of the water for 9 years...and has (if he remembers right...) 100 dives from the last century. He doesn't want to pay the money to take a refresher course ($75 for a pool session...) because he doesn't see the value in it.

Really??? Sorry for continuing the hijack of this thread...but I brought this incident up to him and let him know that we lose way too many divers each year.

I haven't heard anything more on the Edmonds incident, but I really hope it wasn't diver error. Would feel a whole lot better if it were a natural cause.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

(post updated with all the first hand verified facts)

The diver age 44, was found un-responsive on the surface with air in his BC. (This was the second dive of the day at Edmonds for both the divers with visibility at an average of about 10-15 feet ) They were at a depth of about 15 feet whilst returning towards shore at the end of the second dive when after less than a minute of the previous "You OK" check, his dive buddy realized he was missing. He searched for about a minute and surfaced, he then located his buddy adrift on the surface and when he failed to respond, swam towards him. he was found face out of the water but not breathing, a call for help was issued, and rescue breaths was administered while his gear was being removed and he was being brought to shore. once on shore, he was still not breathing and had no pulse. CPR was administered by the rescuer. A female Police Officer arrived within in less than a minute and she took over chest compressions while the rescuer continued rescue breaths. The paramedics arrived and the victim was resuscitated and stabilized. He is alive and in the hospital, but as of Tuesday was still not responsive and in a coma. there are some "positive" signs in the form of brain activity and we are all hopeful. The diver's buddy was the one who performed the rescue, it is purely because of his rescue diver training, skill and immense experience, that this diver is still alive.

although almost 100% certain the incident was because of "natural causes", as of now the cause is still unknown. The doctors ruled out a heart attack after some initial test results.

sorry, i cant answer any personal or detailed questions - i will update this post when i have more info.
Last edited by kdupreez on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:14 am, edited 15 times in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

kdupreez wrote:The diver is in his 50's, was found un-responsive at at depth after no more about 2 minutes of previous responsive encounter. He was immediately brought to surface and he was not breathing, a call for help was issued and rescue breaths was administered while he was being brought to shore. once on shore, he was still not breathing and had no pulse. CPR was administered until paramedics arrived and he was resuscitated. He is alive and in the hospital, but as of sunday was still not responsive. there are "positive" signs and we are all hopeful. The diver's buddy was the one who performed the rescue, it is purely because of his rescue diver training, skill and immense experience, that this diver is still alive.

sorry, i cant answer any personal or detailed questions.
kdupreez,
Thanks for posting.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks immensely for your input kdupreez. Here's hoping that all goes well and he recovers fully.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Burntchef wrote:one reason may be that as the weather gets sunnier and warmer more people are dusting off there gear, trying to remember how to get it all together and going for a dive with a buddy that is probably in the same exact scenario.

just my opinion
I don't know why it is happening but I have had the same thought too. I was even present at an "incident" so I am extremely attuned to the bad news now.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

my original post was updated with latest facts.
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 798#p92589

i will update when more information becomes available..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

kdupreez wrote:my original post was updated with latest facts.
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 798#p92589

i will update when more information becomes available..
Thank you for keeping us updated. Having the information really helps the community deal with the news. Please continue to share what you can, as you can.
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

More info available on ScubaBoard;

http://tinyurl.com/cr5b93
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
PucKviruS
Just Settling In

Post by PucKviruS »

Last edited by PucKviruS on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

PucKviruS wrote:*removed at OPs request*
One of the things I learned in Rescue is to take steps after an incident to assist with the natural human responses to something like this. I hope his buddy takes such steps.
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks for the update. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. Buy the dive buddy a beer or two and send me the bill.
PucKviruS wrote:*removed*
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'm sure no amount of talk can help in this situation but I just wanted to say that I am sure he did everything within his power to change the outcome in this and nothing he did caused it nor could have prevented it from happening. It is so easy to lose track of a buddy in seriously limited viz. I'm sure we all have at one time or another.

We all feel the pain and I hope that he can work through this.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

My heart goes out to *********, his wife and his dive buddy. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Judging from the amount of attention from his workplace he will be missed by everyone who knew him.