Saltwater/Freshwater Question

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Saltwater/Freshwater Question

Post by E_Mo »

Random question regarding freshwater vs. saltwater...

I know that there is a buoyancy difference when diving freshwater vs. saltwater, since saltwater has all the dissolved minerals. My question is does that affect atmosphere levels? Whenever I read about atmosphere levels, I always see 33 FSW, 66 FSW, etc... When diving in freshwater are there different atmospheric levels, or is the difference (If any) so insignificant the saltwater levels are used?

Thanks
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Saltwater/Freshwater Question

Post by CaptnJack »

Its does affect pressure but its so ridiculously small that it doesn't matter. For recreational <130ft dives it adds up to about 2 or 3 ft. Depth sensors/gauges are by their very nature less precise than differences in salinity.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Re: Saltwater/Freshwater Question

Post by E_Mo »

Thats what I was thinking, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the help.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown