Nitrogen Enriched

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Nitrogen Enriched

Post by ArcticDiver »

OK, there are a lot of brilliant people on this Forum. So, will one of you tell me how adding Nitrogen to gasoline enriches it and thus makes if cleaner burning and more powerful like Shell's ads proclaim?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Nitrogen Enriched

Post by Pez7378 »

Perhaps THIS will explain the concept?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Disclaimer Statement

This announcement contains forward-looking statements concerning the financial condition, results of operations and businesses of Royal Dutch Shell. All statements other than statements of historical fact are, or may be deemed to be, forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are statements of future expectations that are based on management’s current expectations and assumptions and involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance or events to differ materially from those expressed or implied in these statements.

Forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements concerning the potential exposure of Royal Dutch Shell to market risks and statements expressing management’s expectations, beliefs, estimates, forecasts, projections and assumptions. These forward-looking statements are identified by their use of terms and phrases such as ‘‘anticipate’’, ‘‘believe’’, ‘‘could’’, ‘‘estimate’’, ‘‘expect’’, ‘‘intend’’, ‘‘may’’, ‘‘plan’’, ‘‘objectives’’, ‘‘outlook’’, ‘‘probably’’, ‘‘project’’, ‘‘will’’, ‘‘seek’’, ‘‘target’’, ‘‘risks’’, ‘‘goals’’, ‘‘should’’ and similar terms and phrases.
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

You seperate nitrogen from water by putting water in a small tank with a catalist such as( baking soda)and a small current (couple volts) that charge creates gas (nitrogen). alone nitrogen will not run our every day cars unless built for it meaning brand new.so you ad this gas to your intake system .thus allowing you to burn less gas!!! In a round about way! :spatman:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Yeah, I read what they said. But what they said is in marketing language, ie nonsense language that makes me look for the hook. When that is followed by the quoted disclaimer that really makes me wonder.

Since it takes a certain amount of BTUs to make the engine move and in turn the drive train, vehicle and payload reducing the amount of BTUs in a given volume of fuel would just result in needing more fuel, not less. That is why when one adds ethanol or MTBE to gasoline it takes more fuel to achieve the same performance, and those are not inert like nitrogen.

What am I missing? Or, is this just another marketing hype thingy?
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ArcticDiver wrote:and those are not inert like nitrogen.
Nitrogen can be reactive when it isn't N2 gas. They're probably talking about a molecule with -NH2 hanging of it somewhere, and it sounds like they took some common additive to gasoline and managed to add/substitute some nitrogen-containing groups to it and added some stability (?) to the molecule. The press release, though, is completely divorced from any kind of physical, chemical basis...
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

"Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, containing a unique, patented cleaning system designed to seek and destroy engine “gunk” (carbon deposits)..."

Ah, I get it. The nitrogen eats the carbon!

C + N = ....uh.... hmm... CN (cyanide)

Yummy! :koolaid:
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

ArcticDiver wrote:What am I missing? Or, is this just another marketing hype thingy?
I think you're totally missing the point. This will be the wave of the future. This should save the world from the onset of catastrophic global warming and climate change. Due to the abundance of nitrogen in the air, we can all expect that this plan may realize our objective of escaping the clutches of this nation's dependence on foreign oil.
It's probably realistic to expect that history may remember this as the greatest technological acheivement since the development of the internal combustion engine. Now that it is projected that we can utilize the excess nitrogen from the air, scientists expect that the synergy of nitrogen enrichment will cause engines to run so clean that the only measurable emissions are expected to be water and nitrous oxide, or laughing gas. In fact, this should cause an increase of laughing gas in the atmosphere to the point where the whole world will be happy narc'd all the time, and Eli Lilly should go out of business because I project nobody will need anti-depressants anymore.

It's the age of aquariums, man!

This post contains forward-looking statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are, or may be deemed to be, forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are statements of future expectations that are based on my current expectations and assumptions and involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance or events to differ materially from those expressed or implied in this post.

Forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements expressing my expectations, beliefs, estimates, forecasts, projections and assumptions. These forward-looking statements are identified by their use of terms and phrases such as ‘‘anticipate’’, ‘‘believe’’, ‘‘could’’, ‘‘estimate’’, ‘‘expect’’, ‘‘intend’’, ‘‘may’’, ‘‘plan’’, ‘‘objectives’’, ‘‘outlook’’, ‘‘probably’’, ‘‘project’’, ‘‘will’’, ‘‘seek’’, ‘‘target’’, ‘‘risks’’, ‘‘goals’’, ‘‘should’’ and similar terms and phrases.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

LOL

Yes, Pauli your sarcasm did come through as did that of the others.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

I'm sooo tempted to adopt that disclaimer for ALL my posts! ...but nobody smart enough to read listens to me anyhow, and I'm a believer in, "if you don't need it..." :dontknow:
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

I was at Costco and noticed they had a "Nitrogen filling station" for car tires. Seemed pretty odd to me... What benefit could filling your tires with pure nitrogen have? Seeing how air is generally 79% nitrogen, could removing that other 21% of oxygen/trace gases really make a difference in tires???

Pretty soon you'll be driving around after a dive, off-gassing excess nitrogen, burning nitrogen enhanced gasoline, driving on nitrogen filled tires.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

E_Mo wrote:Pretty soon you'll be driving around after a dive, off-gassing excess nitrogen, burning nitrogen enhanced gasoline, driving on nitrogen filled tires.
...and there is NOTHING like a nitro-pale ale!! Put your favorite beer through a nitrogen tap and WOW!! Nitro beers are NOT just for dark Irish stouts any longer!! :breakdance: Nitrogen tapped Mac & Jack's is AMAZING!! :mmmbeer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

E_Mo wrote:I was at Costco and noticed they had a "Nitrogen filling station" for car tires. Seemed pretty odd to me... What benefit could filling your tires with pure nitrogen have? Seeing how air is generally 79% nitrogen, could removing that other 21% of oxygen/trace gases really make a difference in tires???

Pretty soon you'll be driving around after a dive, off-gassing excess nitrogen, burning nitrogen enhanced gasoline, driving on nitrogen filled tires.
When I was an Aircraft mechanic, we would fill the tires with nitrogen due to it's expansion properties.

It is less likely to expand due to altitude, or temperature. It's non corrosive to the tire, like Oxygen is, and if you get "Hot brakes", the gas won't feed any fires that break out (Because the magnesium brake housing will take care of that for you! :rofl:).

So for car uses.... Maybe if you go up and down in the mountains a lot, and live in extreme conditions (Desert-Glacier), and are worried more about the corrosion inside your tire, vs the wear and tear of the asphalt on the outside :banghead: .

Hope that helps.
D(B)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Nitrogen in gasoline and Nitrogen in tires fits right in with the email I received today. It was from the "Federal Reserves Bank" and informed me that due to severe phishing attacks the Federal Reserve Banks had instituted restrictions on wire transfers. To get more information on this critical area please visit..and gave me a link.