Airplane on Fire leaving Sea Tac Today

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Airplane on Fire leaving Sea Tac Today

Post by Scuba Scott »

I was picking up my boat today by Sea Tac and heard a large bang and pop pop pop so I look up and see a commercial airplane with the left engine on fire and blowing flames out the back. This was about 3:15 Wednesday afternoon. Everyone from local business ran outside to see what was going on. I hope everyone is ok and I will be sure to watch the news tonight. It was crazy to see and hear. I bet it was a wild ride as the plane made an emergency landing.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Airplane on Fire leaving Sea Tac Today

Post by spatman »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ng29m.html
A Boeing 777 has landed safely at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, following reports that flames shot out of one of its engines.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

The plane dumped fuel over Puget Sound before landing without incident at about 3:30 p.m. and taxiing to the gate. Fergus said no one was injured and there were no major delays for other flights.
yay.

Oh... I mean.... uh... glad everyone is okay?

D(B)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dumped Fuel over Puget Sound

:tappingfoot: :tappingfoot:

I know I know they need to do that in order to narrow the possibilty of fire or something, but poor fishys
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:
The plane dumped fuel over Puget Sound before landing without incident at about 3:30 p.m. and taxiing to the gate. Fergus said no one was injured and there were no major delays for other flights.
yay.

Oh... I mean.... uh... glad everyone is okay?

D(B)
One small part of the 7-8 millions gallons of fuel and oil split and/or washing in every year. I think a big chunk of that JetA kerosene evaporates pretty quick, which is small consolation.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." -Sockmonkey

"...and when your doing am emergency landing because your plane's engine is on fire and it's carrying enough fuel to get to Korea."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Norris wrote:Dumped Fuel over Puget Sound

I know I know they need to do that in order to narrow the possibilty of fire or something, but poor fishys
They need to dump fuel to get the jet light enough to land. Otherwise, they'll come in way too fast.

For what it is worth, kerosene has a low vapor pressure--it evaporate way faster than gasoline (and, if you've ever played with gasoline, you, uh, know it evaporates fast). FAA regs give minimum altitude (I think ~2000 feet, which is actually pretty damn low for a jet like that) and keeps things away from populated areas.

Even once the kerosene hits the water, it will still evaporate damn fast--I bet you'd be hard pressed to go out and find any evidence of the fuel being dumped. Much more oil (as Richard said) comes off of roadways each day--and that stuff isn't nearly as volatile.

Glad everyone was okay.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I suppose a firey plane crash with massive carnage, live on King5 news would have been the better alternative. :goodpost:
Who run barter town?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Well you could put a "Dumping Fuel To Save Lives Welcome Here" sign on the roof of your house. :bow:
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Message loud and clear. I spoke before I researched, I have been watching those documentaries on puget sound pollution and it has been on my mind. My plane fuel knowledge is minimal, so that was an uneducated statement.

Another thing is, I wasnt trying to imply that sea life outweighs flaming crashes and human lives so please, enough with that crap.

Lesson learned....
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

You the man!!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Norris wrote:Message loud and clear. I spoke before I researched, I have been watching those documentaries on puget sound pollution and it has been on my mind. My plane fuel knowledge is minimal, so that was an uneducated statement.

Another thing is, I wasnt trying to imply that sea life outweighs flaming crashes and human lives so please, enough with that crap.

Lesson learned....
I was replying to your sarcastic comment, with a sarcastic comment! :joshsmith: No offence was intended, nor did I take offence in your comment. :mmmbeer:
Who run barter town?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:mmmbeer:

Cheers!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**