what a waste

General topics about technical diving.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

what a waste

Post by Burntchef »

the 2007 macys day parade used 400,000 cubic feet of helium :eek:

much of that is recovered but many thousands and thousands go to waste.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: what a waste

Post by Joshua Smith »

Damn. Almost as bad as an open circuit diver.... :boxer: :axe:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:popcorn:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Burntchef wrote:the 2007 macys day parade used 400,000 cubic feet of helium :eek:

much of that is recovered but many thousands and thousands go to waste.

Wow. That's actually quite a lot! Total annual US consumption is 2.7 million cubic meters (I looked it up). 400k cubic feet is 11,326 cubic meters or almost 1/2 of 1% of total annual consumption.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

My LDS charges $1.15 per cu.ft. of he., plus a $10 service charge, as listed on their website. 1.15X400,000=$460,000, plus our new and improved state tax of 10% makes it $506,000. Add to that a $10 service fee per bigass baloon (sorry, I couldn't find how many there were). Gee whiz, that's a hefty bill. I wonder who pays for all that?
Last edited by Fishstiq on Sat May 02, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Fishstiq wrote:Mt LDS charges $1.15 per cu.ft. of he., plus a $10 service charge, as listed on their website. 1.15X400,000=$460,000, plus our new and improved state tax of 10% makes it $506,000. Add to that a $10 service fee per bigass baloon (sorry, I couldn't find how many there were). Gee whiz, that's a hefty bill. I wonder who pays for all that?
Wow you must still be sick...
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Fishstiq wrote:Mt LDS charges $1.15 per cu.ft. of he., plus a $10 service charge, as listed on their website. 1.15X400,000=$460,000, plus our new and improved state tax of 10% makes it $506,000. Add to that a $10 service fee per bigass baloon (sorry, I couldn't find how many there were). Gee whiz, that's a hefty bill. I wonder who pays for all that?
Ummm $1.15 a cf might be ok retail for 100% helium. But the parade doesn't pay anything close to that and they cut with air alot. So its like cheap coke. Advertisers pay baby!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Advertisers pay baby!
so if i slap a big macy's logo on the side of my tanks, do you think they'd subsidize my helium costs? :geek:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
so if i slap a big macy's logo on the side of my tanks, do you think they'd subsidize my helium costs? :geek:
Do you come up with Lennox china?? :breakdance:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:
Do you come up with Lennox china?? :breakdance:
if i go down with it, yes. :neener: