The Wreck of the Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea 5/03/09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

The Wreck of the Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea 5/03/09

Post by Joshua Smith »

We dove the wreck of the "Al" today. DCS Films has a great write up of the history, and excellent footage of diving this wreck (and many others!) in the past.

I dove it last year, and even though I had a fun dive, I was a bit underwhelmed. She lies in 240 fsw, just outside of the Everett Marina, and also at the mouth of the Snohomish River. Because of the proximity to the river, the Al frequently has very poor visibility. Last year, I could tell that I was diving on a large, man made object of some kind, but not much else. The rain we experienced last night in Seattle further lowered my expectations for the dive today; and as we were setting the hook and deploying the deco station, visibility was not looking very good.

But I was determined to dive today. I figured I could always scrub the dive at depth, and pay a minimal price with the deco obligation. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I did that. So, we geared up. We were diving with Porthole Charters off of the MK V, Captained by Mike Fergesun. Mike is a fellow diver, and very good at positioning the boat for a good grapple- we nailed the drop, and after rigging up our deco trapeeze, we were busy putting divers in the water.
Diving today were myself, Dan Warter (Roomer Treece on this board), Rob Wilson(RJW), Paul Hangarter(bigsky), Ron Akeson, owner of Adventures Down Under, in Bellingham, WA, and the organizer of this charter. Also on board were Kirby and Bob- two guys that I took Advanced eanx and Deco Procedures with a couple of years back- I've dived with Kirby since then, but it was the first time since class I had seen Bob- it took us a few minutes to figure out where we knew eachother from! Small world.
Benjamin Nussbaum was our excellent safety diver for this trip. I can't wait to start doing these dives with BJ, but I'm REALLY going to miss him as a safety diver! He takes really, really good care of us, like only a brother (or sister!) diver can.

All of us except for Paul, Kirby, and Bob were diving Megalodon Closed Circuit Rebreathers, me on my COPIS, everyone else on APECS. I should point out that Paul just started his Meg class with Ron Friday night- he will be joining the rest of us in Meg land very soon! ( :blackblink: <---Meg Smiley!)

So, in teams of two and three, we splashed, and started our descent. I was diving with Ron and Paul on this dive. Down we went, deeper and deeper. Visibility was about what I expected, but as we passed 160', I started to see lights from the other teams, and the strobes they had set on the line, below me......suddenly, the side of the wreck came into view. Oh......Oh, wow. Today was much, much, different from my previous dive. Vis was about 20 feet, and man, oh, man, what a difference that makes! The wreck is HUGE. We could discern many landmarks and features in the deck and superstructure.....ladders, railings, hatches....I attached a strobe to the downline, while Paul secured his reel and Ron started filming. We were hooked near the Bow, and started moving aft, by general consensus. We saw the usual suspects living on the wreck- gigantic lingcod and rockfish. As well as crabs, nudibranchs, and....monofilament. On my first dive here last year, I got entangled in the nasty stuff, and my buddy Rob suffered a punctured counterlung while he was cutting me free from it. Anyone diving this wreck needs to be warned- there are lots of opportunities for entanglement. I never even saw the line that grabbed me last year, and there's no way to defend against something you can't see. I just felt it, tried to back out of it, and flashed my light at Rob when I couldn't get free. He cut me out, but suffered a puncture in his counterlung during the process. Today, I saw a few strands of line, but was able to avoid them. After touring aft for a while, we turned and headed back to the tie-in, and headed forward a bit. We saw the gigantic windlass near the bow, but we turned and headed back to the line to begin our ascent before we saw it. Rob and Dan went all the way to the point of the bow, and followed it down to the bottom before turning around. I would have liked to have done that, too, but we had a fine dive going aft, and I have no regrets. (The windlass blew my mind, though!)

At 20 minutes of run time, with ~15 minutes on the wreck, we moved back to the downline, and began our ascent. As we completed our stops, visibility began deteriorating while the current began to ebb. My 20 and 10 foot stops looked like a snowstorm, with all the detrius in the water....I finally surfaced into a pleasant, more-or-less sunny afternoon.

This trip was very well planned, thanks to Ron- We enjoyed some (relatively) excellent visibility, for the Al. And for those of you out there that didn't enjoy your first dive on her- all I can say is that I didn't, either: but today more than made up for it! We had a GREATtime diving her today, and, again, no small part of that was due to the great people we had on the boat- I would happily go do this dive again tomorrow morning, if I could!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: The Wreck of the Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea 5/03/09

Post by CaptnJack »

Damn I would have never guess early May would have good vis there. With snowmelt and the nasty shallow bloom we have going on now I'm surprised you even booked a dive on the AL! Whoda thunk :thumb3d:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Damn I would have never guess early May would have good vis there. With snowmelt and the nasty shallow bloom we have going on now I'm surprised you even booked a dive on the AL! Whoda thunk :thumb3d:

I was really surprised, but, yeah- today kind of kicked ass!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Cool report Josh! what was it about the windlass?
(The winlass blew my mind, though!)
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BASSMAN wrote:Cool report Josh! what was it about the windlass?
(The winlass blew my mind, though!)

It's like a really big winch.....REALLY BIG.

Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Cool trip report.
Talk to me about punctured counterlungs...
This sounds seriously bad, but I have only poked and prodded rebreathers on the surface and don't really know much about them. Exactly how bad is it to have a punctured counterlung (better than a punctured lung, but still pretty bed is my guess).
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Kalatin wrote:Cool trip report.
This sounds seriously bad, but I have only poked and prodded rebreathers on the surface and don't really know much about them. Exactly how bad is it to have a punctured counterlung (better than a punctured lung, but still pretty bed is my guess).

On a Meg, it's not so bad. On other CCRs, it probably wouldn't happen. It's not a serious problem, usually.....but it could be. The answer is : "It depends." It might be a very serious problem, and it might not be so bad. Sorry to be so vague, Please feel free to PM me if you want a more specific answer....

rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Kalatin wrote:Cool trip report.
The counterlung cut was a non event. It was a small cut I didn't even notice until a buddy noticed some bubbles and pointed it out during deco. It must have happened while unhooking Josh. :jason:
It was repaired and dove the following day.

Nice write up Josh. Great dive on the Al yesterday. Kind of weird diving with Dan and not seeing him behind a camera though.
Gotta love those video lights. :supz:
Last edited by rjw on Mon May 04, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

GREAT REPORT!! Yeah I felt a bit naked without the camera, (off getting a checkup) but it was a blast! This was the first time I got to see the bow and you get a much better idea how absolutely huge this wreck is. The chain links on the windlass were literally bigger than my head. VERY COOL!! :supz:
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I talked to Kirby and was unsure about what vis was going to be for you guys. but when i went down to the river and saw it had 5' of vis in it Saturday I knew you were going to have a good dive. She is my favorite wreck up here to dive next to the Bunker Hill. Josh did anyone make it to the bridge?

You have to penetrate on of these days at least into the freezer deck it is really cool and they are wide open with very little to get tangled up in. They are safe for a none cleaned wreck. But keep in mind it is a deep one we do not need anymore internees in her one is enough.

Glad to here you had a great time though.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sounds like a great time was had by all!
:partydance:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Great report, Josh.

I'm glad (and surprised) you had such good vis. That's awesome.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

so how long was the deco on the way up ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

H20doctor wrote:so how long was the deco on the way up ?
About an hour.

Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Twas indeed a nice dive, my first on this wreck. We headed toward the stern at 220. Just as I was about to turn back to the line, I felt, (did not see) a monofilament line slide down the front of my thigh. Fortunately did not get hooked up. Not alot of time to mess with entanglement at that depth. My dive buddy Bob said I had been swimming along it lengthwise for a ways. We got just past the big open hatch, tempting. Plenty to see on the outside with the good vis. While following the deck, you find yourself in a bit of an overhead enrvironment under the deck rail and rigging above you. I dove my new Liquivision X1. Very nice. Bring your reel and your cutting tools. I am always glad to see the wreck when I hit the bottom, doesn't always work out that way. Bottom was at 238, top of wreck 190. Lots to see just following the line to the hook. Lets do this one again soon!

Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

really old and low quality footage of the Al, but if you can suffer through the first minute and not snort coke out your nose when you see our gear, there is some solid footage of the giant machinery on the deck, with a diver in the screen for perspective

http://www.vimeo.com/4557588
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"