Riding On Sharks?!?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Riding On Sharks?!?

Post by Tom Nic »

I have no problem with diving WITH sharks... although there are issues with baiting, etc that I would rather avoid.

Riding ON sharks? Seems more than a little nutty and not the greatest for the shark either... :axe: If you read on, the story below mentions riding ON great whites, not just swimming with them... yikes!

Oh well, further refinement of the gene pool I guess... what do you think?

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/story?id=2275481&page=1
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I was surprised and a little dismayed to learn that Jean Michel Cousteau, of all people, were "pioneering" this. Sheesh...

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah- I'm a believer that we all have the right to......well, die however we want to; that is- engage in whatever stupid, suicidal behavior we choose, as long as it doesn't endanger other people, but this is....a bad idea. Hordes of moron thrill seekers will no doubt be headed out to try this now, and it won't be good for the sharks, is my guess.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Zen Diver wrote:I was surprised and a little dismayed to learn that Jean Michel Cousteau, of all people, were "pioneering" this. Sheesh...

-Valerie
Yeah, I thought that was pretty weird as well, kind of out of character? Or maybe I made an assumption about character that I should not have... there I go again! ](*,)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Jean Michel Cousteau is the same moron who made the stupid shark-sub that screamed "my grandpa left me money and I want to be popular like he was so I made a shark sub that didn't work and made a movie about it."

I can't say I'd be upset if he got eaten... stupid shark-sub crap.

On the other hand, did anyone see the squid show? I thought that was great - more science, more story, it actually worked, and wasn't a display of dangerous diving habits.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I used to be a devotee of the Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" a long time ago.....back when they had reputable scientists discussing shark behavior, migration, anatomy, diet, etc.

A few years back they switched it over to the "thrill-seekers" and most of the films shown from that point concentrated on lunatics placing themselves directly in harm's way, thumping their chests, attempting to "prove" that sharks won't attack.

The fact is that sharks are (for the most part) carnivorous.....and we are (ahem) protein. Like all carnivores, sharks are attracted by certain things (noises, movements, colors, etc.) and they will place themselves at risk by attacking large prey items only when they are hungry, in need of food, and can attack without risk to themselves. When being fed from a harmless bait source that will not fight back there is no reason whatsoever for a shark to turn away from that food to attack a human being, even though they are physically capable of doing so.

In a situation in which a shark is hungry....the shark is actively engaged in hunting.....and there is no easy, harmless prey to feed on, a diver would be making a huge mistake to enter the water, (I'm referring to the species known to attack humans in this discussion). You will note that in all of the "thrilling" shows shown on TV the sharks are being fed in a variety of ways, thereby making the divers in the water fairly secure from attack. Even then, the unexpected can occur.....I recall a show in which one of the afore-mentioned lunatics posing as a scientist used Zen techniques to lower his heart rate before swimming amongst Bull Sharks. The sharks were engorged by eating offal tossed into the water for several hours by fishermen. He did this on film for 2 seasons, if I remember correctly, and then in season 3 one of the Bulls turned and darn near bit his leg off for no really apparent reason.....some would probably say that he tempted fate once too often. Not willing to abandon his "principles", and probably sensing a means of making a profit, his next show was entitled, "Anatomy of a Shark Bite", in which they analyzed the bite from every angle and even used a set of robot shark jaws to simulate the actual "chomp". #-o

May we be preserved from the theories of such "scientists".

I briefly turned on "Shark Week" this past Saturday afternoon. There was a show on called "Sharks - Are They Hunting Us?", in which a newly certified diver (certified less than 4 weeks prior to filming) traveled to Southern Africa to dive with the top man-eaters (Bull Shark, Tiger Shark, Great White Shark, etc.) on several different dives to "prove" that they don't hunt us. The show missed the point entirely....they do not hunt us in some situations....while in fact they DO hunt us in other situations.

The sensationalism shown in the show reminded me of why I stopped watching a few years ago.....

Oh, and Valerie.....nothing any of the Cousteaus does nowadays would surprise me anymore......

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Yep! I confused Baby Costeau with his Daddy! :toimonster: I guess the acorn CAN fall far from the tree when it's a big nut! :toimonster: (Sorry, stupid pun alert)

John, I echo your comments about the Discovery Channel's Shark week. You articulated well what I've been thinking as I eagerly tuned in to find some of the dumbest programming I've ever seen. This helps ratings?!? Sigh... that says things about the average viewing public that is not very complimentary... ](*,)
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Shark Week Bites:

So as you can tell im with john on this one I just dont say it as good as he did

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Sounder wrote:Jean Michel Cousteau is the same moron who made the stupid shark-sub that screamed "my grandpa left me money and I want to be popular like he was so I made a shark sub that didn't work and made a movie about it."

I can't say I'd be upset if he got eaten... stupid shark-sub crap.

On the other hand, did anyone see the squid show? I thought that was great - more science, more story, it actually worked, and wasn't a display of dangerous diving habits.
Different Cousteau
Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I realize that Cousteau is trying to do this to break down peoples' fear of sharks (and thus turning them into cuddly wuddly animals to play with). But, what happens when the first shark riding tourist becomes a pink mist of seaspray?
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Calvin Tang wrote:I realize that Cousteau is trying to do this to break down peoples' fear of sharks (and thus turning them into cuddly wuddly animals to play with). But, what happens when the first shark riding tourist becomes a pink mist of seaspray?
Culling the herd ... gee - there's so many things that come to mind with all of this - probably the most likely outcome is that this will promote a rash of future Darwin Award Winners. #-o

http://www.darwinawards.com/

The real winners, however, will be the sharks, and their less-loved and much more fearsome bretheren - yes, .... I mean the lawyers. (gasp!)

(If there are any lawyer members of NWDC, you are not included in that discription by virtue of your superior intellect and the upstanding citizens you associate with.)

It's a shame that the Discovery Channel has digressed into such mindless pandering under the guise of scientific education. :toimonster:
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

How many different shows are we talking about?

So far I've heard the Cousteau's grandkids and their "shark-mobile", Jean-Michel's awesome PBS special on sharks (where he did indeed hitch a short ride on a great white while free swimming) and Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.

Just wanna keep the rant straight for future reference... :book:
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Re: Riding On Sharks?!?

Post by lurch »

Tom Nic wrote:, the story below mentions riding ON great whites, not just swimming with them... yikes!
With enough Mountain Dew anything is possible.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm really glad you provided a link to that commercial. It's been my favorite for almost a year.

I love the guy on the surface playing with the water..."Here fishy, fishy, fishy."

Priceless =D>
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Sasquatch wrote:Priceless =D>
I aim to please.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I have to say, I still like shark week. I think the shows are pretty stupid. But the sharks are always cool to see. They are my fav animal and that is really the ONLY place I want to see them. Kind of why I like the Puget Sound.. The holy grail of dives is the 6 gill, which means I will probably never come face to face with one. Which is fine by me.. I don't want to be a scubasnak.

That Mountain Dew comercial is the bomb.. I haven't seen that one yet... :supz:
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Re: Riding On Sharks?!?

Post by thelawgoddess »

laivindil wrote:With enough Mountain Dew anything is possible.
ha, ha - that's sweet!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Cephlah
Avid Diver

Post by Cephlah »

Personal dive rule #3 - Don't poke things that are bigger than you. They might poke back!
How lucky we are - we get to see firsthand what most people only see on TV!
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Cephlah wrote:Personal dive rule #3 - Don't poke things that are bigger than you. They might poke back!
I'm 6'5", 230lbs. Does that mean I'm safe? :rr: