What have you found while diving??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

DiverDown wrote:Do you think the PD is gonna spend time doing ballistics on all weapons found..
Well, ah, actually I do. That's what we pay them for. Can you think of something more important for the police to be doing?

Dave
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dave - are you a criminologist?

Here's the deal with big versus smaller department. If you gave it to Lake Stevens PD, they may or may not be set-up to easily run ballistics. If they are set up for it, they'd absoultely do it. Snohomish Co. SO would absoultely be set up as they're a larger department. A small department would send it to the state crime lab if the case required it, but probably wouldn't just for a found weapon without having something they were trying to link it to.

What's troubling is that in MANY cases, the PD won't return the weapon to the finder "just because" even though it rightfully should be. A friend of mine is an attorney specializing in firearms law and much of his business is recovering weapons that belong to his clients and should have been returned by the PD but weren't... I have a real problem with how police departments handle firearms - sometimes they don't return things when they should and it takes a court order for the civilian to get their weapon back.

DD - if it was buried in silt, how did you find it? Metal detector or stirring up the bottom? It is a premium weapon and a great find. I did see the bluing coming off, but you can re-blue it. Wade's in Bellevue has a great finish-guy. If you really want to trick it out, check out http://www.robarguns.com - the owner is a friend of my father and is alligned with Thunder Ranch. They have some of the best coatings and custom weapons around.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I found a 7 foot salmon rod in about 25 fsw in at the San Juans Club Dive!
I don't know if it was used in a crime scene.
It is an Eagle Claw Fiberglass Rod with a Penn reel.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Sounder wrote:Dave - are you a criminologist?
Well, no, I'm not. I'm just a taxpayer mostly. (I'm also the Chairman of my city's Civil Service Commission, a former member of the Snohomish County Law & Justice Council, a former two term City Councilman and the father of a homicide detective.)

I agree that there are problems that can arise when a person is put in a situation where they've found something. I'd just like my point to be that if I were the victim of violence then a ditched weapon recovered may lead to the arrest of my attacker. And that, in my opinion, is the prime purpose of funding police agencies. If that isn't the reality in some jurisdictions then perhaps their mission needs to be closely examined and re-directed.

There are so many unsolved murders in this country that the recovery of a deadly weapon can be a deal maker for investigators.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yes, I totally agree. Ideally, the unique markings on the case and round would help solve something or at least be recorded. It's like "gun DNA" and larger departments compile that data and cross-check it against questions in their cases. I also agree that in those departments where they don't jump on every opportunity to collect information, they're doing a dis-service to the public that pays their mortgages. Sounds like everything was sufficiently documented here though... I just wish I'd found it! ](*,)
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Sounder wrote:I just wish I'd found it! ](*,)
Oh, YEAH! Me too.

So is lake Stevens a popular dive site or was it just handy?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Lets go dive the lake.. Its close to my home and shallow and its WATER!! I always said that I would dive the sewer lagoon in Everett, just to say "I dove that"!!

BTW nice avatar S... \:D/
Who run barter town?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i'd be interested in the lake, too. (the sewer ... not so much!)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Ok sounds good LG,we should wait till the weather changes.. Not so many boats out... ](*,)
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

DiverDown wrote:I would dive the sewer lagoon in Everett, just to say "I dove that"!!
I hope you bring your full face mask for that one.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Looks like your avatar forgot his on that dive...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm looking forward to diving Pine Lake here on the plateau after fishing/swimming season to collect treasures!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

My dive buddy found a diamond ring. It was a mens Horseshoe ring with 10 diamonds around the horseshoe and one big one in the middle. He had it appraised at 2700$ and then hocked it for 500$. Not bad for a day's work
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Oh, and I found one apallo bio-fin at mikes last year if anyone is missing it or has lost one and needs another one. I guess this person didn't know the rule of lost fins. If you lose one, you must throw the other one in as well....
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I like that rule! :supz: