Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Kalatin »

We must have missed you at Sund Rock. Later in the afternoon, it opened up to about 6 feet, but there was still a ton of junk in the water column. Don't forget about the horrendous traffic on the way up to Hoodsport - three hours from Olympia to Hoodsport.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Kalatin wrote:Later in the afternoon, it opened up to about 6 feet
=D> :rofl:

"You know your a PNW diver when..."
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Kalatin wrote:We must have missed you at Sund Rock. Later in the afternoon, it opened up to about 6 feet, but there was still a ton of junk in the water column. Don't forget about the horrendous traffic on the way up to Hoodsport - three hours from Olympia to Hoodsport.
Yeah, we were there around 9:00 a.m. (made for a VERY early departure from Redmond yesterday). I'm happy the viz "opened up" for you. :) Hopefully that permitted you to see the very large jellies before you were literally on top of them. We had a few unintended up close and personal moments with some really big ones!

We grabbed lunch at the burger place in Hoodsport and watched the cops attempt to direct traffic. Had no idea how bad the back up would be until we started heading home. When we saw that never-ending line of cars on 101 North, we were VERY glad we headed over early. That looked like it totally sucked!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

I'm not the greatest at measuring super high vis, but I would guess that visibility was 80 to 100 feet in Clear Lake, Oregon this weekend. I know later in the season it gets up to 200 feet plus.There were a lot of people camping this weekend, but we were pretty lucky, we got up early and hiked some trails and they were empty. Surprisingly there were quite a few divers on Saturday. Saw a large group from Eugene Skin Divers Supply and I ran in to Biodiversity Guy and his friend as we were leaving, small world :).
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

traffic sucked into Hoodsport and there was really no reason for the cops to be stopping traffic like they did IMHO. Luanching the boat was fun, had to wait for the tide to come back in a few feet to get the ramp wet lol. We also ate at the burger place in Hoodsport while aiting for the tide to come back in, oyster burgers :metal:

oh yeh viz off Glen Ayr dock 2-3' in spots, North of docks in the shallows found 10-15'
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Point Whitney May 23; at least 15 feet but at a depth of 55 it turned to schmutz, less than 5. At that site all the good stuff is shallow anyway!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Saltwater St. Park_5/23/09 Sat.
This was to check out the NEW REEF!!!

Got there at 10AM to beat the park traffic. Successful but it got pretty busy later.
Big minus tide > long walk to the water but short swim to the buoys.

Dropped in gunk to find some artificial reef sections. Viz was maybe 5 feet.
Later, more to the north between the 2 (remaining) buoys we found the BIG reef, or at least one section of it. Jana says there are 3. Vis at 60 feet was seeing your buddy's light at 10 feet but not your buddy. It would be nice to see what this reef really looked like.

Looks like it's going to be a nice reef and once established a decent dive. It's reminiscent of KVI towers.

Fritz
Last edited by fmerkel on Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Fox Island, West Wall today.

at the shore point, about 2 ft of viz. Dropping down to 20fsw, opens up to about 8-10feet.

Sits around 10ft at the wall itself.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Cove 2 today around low tide viz was horrible, worst I've seen there. 30 feet and above it was maybe 2 feet, below that around 40-45 feet it opened up to maybe 8.

Redondo later in the day at super high tide, viz was about 5 feet no matter where you went. But my friend from Idaho still got to find himself a little octopus, so it was worth the dive.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Eric and I headed over for a day in the Hood Canal and did Pulali fingers and the west wall off the point. Viz was okay in the shallows - five feet or so down to about 20, about 15 feet down to 80, and it opened up to 30-ish feet below that, but dark as night. Noticable thermocline at around 40 feet...was cold during the dive, but our short deco was pretty warm and toasty.

The shallows were full of snot everywhere, though, so it was kind of that gross viz that makes you queasy. Lots of big egg yolk jellies, too, all floating around.

All in all a very good day to be on the water...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

we had no problem with traffic to or from sund rock today.

viz was 3-5' until you got below 35-40' on the south wall, where it opened up to 10-15'. the north end was craptastic down to 70' or so.

tons of nudis and a couple octos on eggs. pics and a report tomorrow...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We dove EUP yesterday around 6 PM and viz was great, not to say unbelievable. At least 15-20 feet at the end of the jetty, and just got better as we went out. It probably topped out at around 20-25 out near the boat yard. I don't know what's going on, but I'm not complaining!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Fickle Fickle Ms. Puget!!!

on high tide last night at Alki Point (not Seacrest) 3-5 in the shallows, 5-7 at 50'.

looking out at the water this morning it looks quite different than yesterday. How DID the plankton know the weekend was over...

ALL HAIL THE PLANKTON GOD! Maybe we need to sacrifice something... ;)

from the archives...

http://web.mac.com/ljjames/homepage/Dai ... n_god.html
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

ljjames wrote:.... Maybe we need to sacrifice something...
:popcorn:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Langley Tire Reef, Thursday 28. First 25 feet viz 2-3 feet , salad bowl with chunks of lettuce and particles with maybe 8 ' viz below that. Still no good :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Cove 2 this evening was about 20 ft of vis from top to bottom. There were large chunks of alge snot in the water so looks like the bloom might be dieing off. With favorable currents this weekend my be great for diving.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I will let the picture tell the report at Three Tree North today.
Attachments
IMG_1155.JPG
Jeff Castor
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Mukilteo was horrible. could not see my guages until like 35' then had maybe 5'. We went to about 50, and should have gone deeper, others said past 70 it was great!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Viz at Cove 2 today was a whopping 20'! What a difference a few days makes!

Today is an excellent day to go to any of the Coves....tomorrow is Alki's "no car" day, and they're closing off the streets farther down the road. I think that a lot of people thought that was happening today, so there are surprisingly few people present. Tomorrow will likely be a bit of a madhouse since the roads will actually be closed.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Dove the Redondo today and there was a murky vomit viz going on from 45FSW. I would say about 3-5 feet :huge:
Jeff Castor
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

pogiguy05 wrote:Dove the Redondo today and there was a murky vomit viz going on from 45FSW. I would say about 3-5 feet :huge:

mmmmm....vomit viz......
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Zen Diver wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:Dove the Redondo today and there was a murky vomit viz going on from 45FSW. I would say about 3-5 feet :huge:

mmmmm....vomit viz......
Kinda makes a guy want to get back in the water, huh?! Been dry the whole month of May. Hope to make up for it in June!

I was just starting to get encouraged about a viz shift before I read Jeff's report.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Don't know about the viz but when I parked down there thursday night I made the mistake of parking in the last spot in the row by the parking meter. I didn't relize until I had my tanks setup and went around the side to get into my suit but there is a open drain there that obviously goes direct to the sewer. By the time I had my suit on the damn thing had almost asphyxiated me and I though I was going to vomit or pass out. No wonder that spot is always emty. :huge:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Monday June 1. Just came back from Keystone, viz is bad, ten feet filled with planktonic soup :(
Nice above the waters..
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Monday June 1. Les Davis.

Pulled in, looked at the water, and it was milk. Chocolate Milk. Hopped in and was pleased to discover that that milk was about 1-3feet at 52 degrees. After that it opened up to the usual Les Davis Vis, between 10, and 15 feet (5 in places) at around 49-50 degrees. I was pretty suprised, and happy.

D(B)