How do you pee?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

How do you pee?

Wideband Caths
10%
Freedom Caths
8%
She-P
4%
Foley (you're crazy)
No votes
It Depends
8%
Wetsuit
8%
Hold It & Sprint
61%

Total votes: 49

Sounder
I've Got Gills

How do you pee?

Post by Sounder »

This is a funny subject, but I am really looking for information here. I also think there are other people who would benefit from the discussion so please feel free to bring the funny, but if we could keep it somewhat on-topic it would be appreciated. :pirate:

I'm going on a 3-day live aboard in the Channel Islands at the end of the month so I'm finally getting a p-valve (two actually, one in my new suit and I'm putting one in my old suit). I've talked with trusted friends about various options, and now I want to see what the rest of the club's experiences have been. Airsix :luv: and I :angry: are going to be installing them on our suits at the same time (romantic, I know :hearteyes: ) so if you have suggestions on installation techniques, we'd appreciate those too (I've been told RTV over Aquaseal and to use a hole-punch). Ok, so really Ben is going to install them both, and I'm just going to "help." :thumb3d: Peter - if you want to come join our hole-punching p-valve installation party, you're welcome to.

I've heard the stories, I know Steding wears an XXXXL (just ask him) :bs: , I know Pez doesn't like glue :pinch: , and I've heard about the benefits of shaving both on removing the cath and for that optical inch :bday: (thanks Chris). I'm interested in your experiences in using them, applying and removing the caths, peeing underwater, connecting to the hose (quick disconnect versus not, etc.), cleaning the hose, any UTI issues (any info from Lynne & Val on what to look for here is appreciated!), and anything else you can come up with. I'm also including the She-P in this discussion as I'm sure there are ladies among us here who are interested in that too and I'm sure Laura can answer questions there. :prayer: I'm also interested in multi-day use where you're applying and removing one each day for several days and any other tips for prolonged use.

So male, female, or Joe, what have your experiences been, what works, what do you prefer, what can't you stand, what else? Also, what's the learning curve for peeing? I know there is at least ONE person :hah: in my group of friends who simply can't bring himself to pee despite trying, and then there's Pez who will tell you he starts peeing, and when he's finished. :lalala:

Hydration is important for general health and especially for dive safety. P-valves allow the diver to hydrate appropriately, which, at least in my opinion, makes the dive safer... especially on longer and deeper dives where more inert gas is being introduced. It also makes the dive more comfortable, which is always a good thing.

Buckle up folks, here we go!! :nervous: :popcorn:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: How do you pee?

Post by dsteding »

Jeeez. This has been beaten to death on TDS, really? Want to go through it here?

I'm buying beers for the first person to successfully hijack.

Oh, and FYI, I wear a XXL, not a 3XL, that thing is made for a tuna can.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:popcorn:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sounder wrote:I'm also interested in multi-day use where you're applying and removing one each day for several days and any other tips for prolonged use.
That's what she said!
dsteding wrote:I'm buying beers for the first person to successfully hijack.
Doug, I'm currently hooked on Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, thanks!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:
Sounder wrote:I'm also interested in multi-day use where you're applying and removing one each day for several days and any other tips for prolonged use.
That's what she said!
dsteding wrote:I'm buying beers for the first person to successfully hijack.
Doug, I'm currently hooked on Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, thanks!
Sounds good! First round on me!

I'll buy a beer for the second hijacker as well . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Ultra-flex - same company, not so wide-band - No poll option.

Quick connect is mandatory and makes it flow faster believe it or not. We use the really cheap ones from US plastic Part # 64949 for the cath(3/8") and the 1/4" mate for the tube side. I think the pair is like $3.50 vs the $10 one's other use.
Dave Mitchell
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

especially on longer and deeper dives where more inert gas is being introduced.
You're doing it wrong....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I have yet to hook mine up, but in limited, uh, bench tests, it seems that the freedom caths are more comfortable. Shaving is mandatory. Don't bother with the "manscaper" electric deal-you'll still have stubble. Gillette Mach 3 all the way. But I knew that before I got a pee valve.... :angelblue:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I voted, but really needed to be able to select two options. Whenever possible I do hold-and-sprint, but just in case I can't do that, I wear a Depends.

I don't know if this counts as a hijack or not, but I've noticed that for the most part when I'm down in the water under pressure, I usually don't have much urge even if I just finished a 20 oz Diet Coke before putting my suit on. It's when I get out that my bladder says "Okay, time to let go now!" Does that happen to anybody else, or is it just me?

dsteding, I'm not a beer drinker, but if this is a successful hijack you could buy me a screwdriver :roll:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:Jeeez. This has been beaten to death on TDS, really? Want to go through it here?

I'm buying beers for the first person to successfully hijack.

Oh, and FYI, I wear a XXL, not a 3XL, that thing is made for a tuna can.
While you and Sounder might have tuna cans, I gotta work around the Foster's oil can.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Sounder wrote:So male, female, or Joe,
I actually saw that on my college application form. :rofl:

I drink Rouge's Dead Guy.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

dwashbur wrote:
dsteding, I'm not a beer drinker, but if this is a successful hijack you could buy me a screwdriver :roll:

:dontknow:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dsteding wrote:Jeeez. This has been beaten to death on TDS, really? Want to go through it here?

well, why not? not all of us read thedecostop. i don't honestly care to 99% of the time, anyway. this topic was posted in the Gear Central (Recreational) forum, which i'm pretty sure TDS doesn't have. this can be a good topic for newer recreational divers, or others who may be considering a pee valve someday.

that being said, what the heck is a Foley??
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:

well, why not? not all of us read thedecostop. i don't honestly care to 99% of the time, anyway. this topic was posted in the Gear Central (Recreational) forum, which i'm pretty sure TDS doesn't have. this can be a good topic for newer recreational divers, or others who may be considering a pee valve someday.

As long as I get my beer, I don't care if we discuss it or not :occasion5:
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Monkeys are funny
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

On land, I pee standing up.

In the water, I pee (PERFECTLY) Horizonal :partydance: .

Scott
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:Monkeys are funny
:eric: :eric: :eric: :eric: :eric: :eric: :eric: :eric: :angry:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

monkeys like waffles
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:

Too bad. You miss out on alot of good stuff, like "Mastery or Misadventure...Secrets of the Condom Catheter" and the equally awesome sequel "She-P: Female Overboard Discharge Review" you can't find entertainment like that just anywhere.

A Foley is an indwelling catheter up your urethra.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:monkeys like waffles
Waffles are best with whipped cream
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:

Too bad. You miss out on alot of good stuff, like "Mastery or Misadventure...Secrets of the Condom Catheter" and the equally awesome sequel "She-P: Female Overboard Discharge Review" you can't find entertainment like that just anywhere.

A Foley is an indwelling catheter up your urethra.

:pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:A Foley is an indwelling catheter up your urethra.
sounds like a few people i know.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I find it mildly ironic that on this board where hijacking is heavily frowned upon that a serious conversation on Pee-Valves cannot be had.

Yet on TDS where things can go downhill very fast there are several.
Dave Mitchell
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Okay, so maybe people don't read TDS, but this has been discussed here before:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... =pee+valve

Not that I'd question Sounder's motives, but I really think this is a "hey look at me, I'm gonna pee in my pants" thread combined with a little bit of a "let's talk about something that makes everyone giggle" motivation.

I'm all for the latter, so I say, let's hijack the hell out of this one. When in Rome . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dsteding wrote:Okay, so maybe people don't read TDS, but this has been discussed here before:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... =pee+valve

telling people to "just do a search" has been covered before too, steding.

i think you should reread this thread.