Scooter Dive - James Island - La Push

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Scooter Dive - James Island - La Push

Post by loanwolf »

Did another great scooter dive off the coast. This one is in La Push. Scootered around James Island and thought the adjoining rocks. The walk to the water was long as hell with the minus tides we had this last weekend. their are some great dives off La Push. I will recommend that one does not do this on a -2+ tide as it really is a long walk to the water at that point. The spear fishing was great. Coming back thought the rocks was a little exciting until I got into the lea of them and out of the surge. Their is a small channel at low tide that you can scooter thought to get back the the river and the parking area.
JI-LaPush1.jpg
JI-LaPush2.jpg
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Scooter Dive - James Island - La Push

Post by Gooch »

another scooter dive with good maps? Cool!
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

how long do your batteries last?
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

and what kind of rebreather do you use?

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

I usually get about 3 to 3.5 hrs out the batteries current can make a difference on it so you have to be thinking. I am on a rEvo.
Greg
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

WHAT?! a THINKING diver?!?!? ;) *kidding*

Looks like an awesome run. 3-3.5 hrs on a scooter is a long time in the 'saddle' even at the medium high speeds.
loanwolf wrote:I usually get about 3 to 3.5 hrs out the batteries current can make a difference on it so you have to be thinking. I am on a rEvo.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

ljjames wrote:WHAT?! a THINKING diver?!?!? ;) *kidding*

Looks like an awesome run. 3-3.5 hrs on a scooter is a long time in the 'saddle' even at the medium high speeds.
loanwolf wrote:I usually get about 3 to 3.5 hrs out the batteries current can make a difference on it so you have to be thinking. I am on a rEvo.
That is why i am going to upgrade to the 850 so i get 5+hr of run time for a little more piece of mind on log runs Laura. I already had to swim in about a mile once in CA becuse I misjudged the currents in a trench.
Greg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Wow, that's a long ass way. You towing a backup? (even a Mako or something) Do you have your profile downloaded?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

How was the visability? How deep could you go? All I have done out there is some kayak surfing. We kayaked out to the cave out there and that was cool.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

CaptnJack wrote:Wow, that's a long ass way. You towing a backup? (even a Mako or something) Do you have your profile downloaded?
No, it is not a overhead environment so I do not tow a second scooter. I stayed between 20' and 60' until I headed back in then it shallows up coming back thought the rocks. I am carring a 6 watt protable marine radio with GPS in a tube.
Greg
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Jeff Kruse wrote:How was the visability? How deep could you go? All I have done out there is some kayak surfing. We kayaked out to the cave out there and that was cool.
100+ south, got down to about 30 to the north then crap in the shallows, surf.
Greg