Maury Island with the kids

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Maury Island with the kids

Post by girldiver »

Yesterday, I had the fortune to volunteer my time as the 6th graders from Nautilus Elementary boarded the Maritime Academy vessel and headed out for a day of science labs atop the Puget Sound. The UW grad students leading the labs took the kids through phytoplankton collection and observation, salinity and temperature measurements and how to measure visibility with a secchi disk.

We launched from Des Moines Marina and headed out into the bay. As we were headed south (over the course of 6 hours with lab stations along the way) towards Maury Island, we crossed the very distinct line between the gorgeous deep blue water coming from the north and the aquagreen water (glacial run off from the Puyallup River) meeting from the south. What a great day to do salinity studies and show how freshwater affects the change in two different areas of the same water body.

For the final activity, Rus from the Marine and Science Technology Center at Highline, Fritz (scientist from UW) and I took a plunge with a video camera and collection bags at Maury. Visibility was 5 feet (as measured by Secchi disk) at surface for the first 20 feet down. Then it opened up to about 30 feet and we had amazing life. The kids viewed ling cod, ratfish, a grunt sculpin, kelp crab and sole in our 15 minute dive. The dive was short due to meeting school buses...but all of the life showed up to model in front of the camera.

We reboarded the boat (up a really tough rope ladder...yeah...that was interesting...) and the kids spent the next 30 minutes back to shore captivated by the seaweed, crab and starfish brought up for the touch tanks.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Maury Island with the kids

Post by BASSMAN »

Cool! :supz:
Sounds like a fun, "give back to the younger generation" time. I hope it could give a few of them a passion for the Puget Sound clean-up process.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Maury Island with the kids

Post by mz53480 »

girldiver wrote:Yesterday, I had the fortune to volunteer my time as the 6th graders from Nautilus Elementary boarded the Maritime Academy vessel and headed out for a day of science labs atop the Puget Sound.....
:smt038 :clap: :thumb3d:
Hearing things like this is encouraging news for future generations. Kudos to you!
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!