Freediving Cuda

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Freediving Cuda

Post by smike »

I have been doing some work for Ben at Dive-Xtras. His latest project is a scooter to use while free diving. It has a saddle that slips on the end of the scooter (sorry don't have any pics), and a cord that plugs in with a remote controller. Other than that it is a stock scooter, and can still be used that way.

So there were some electronic modifications we had to make - and then it was testing time, last Wednesday evening. So Ben brought two modified cudas down to the t-dock, and I got to go free diving. WHHHOOOO-HOOOO!

Ok, so first I wore a dry suit and a weight belt, because I don't have the equipment for freediving. The freedivers have these really expensive fins, and use wet suits, and lube up their bodies so that the wet suits will slip easily over them. The ones I talked to at cove 2 'bout 3 weeks ago had bottomed out at 75 - 95'. They aren't the extreme ones - see the record books. Anyway, I degress. So I wore a slate, just for the bungees, to secure the cord for the remote controller. The cord hangs down to your feet.

We got in the water, and then we had to figure out how to get onto this thing. After flopping around for a while, - see the scooter was a few pounds buoyant, and I'm trying to get onto it - well - eventually I got the hang of it - You weren't watching were you? I'm so embarrassed :nervous:

So now I actually have a use for a snorkel! I'm face down in the water, with a rocket hiked up between my legs! My legs are in between some brackets, and the "upper" brackets are placed just above the backs of my knees. My knees are bent (I'm so DIR), and it looks like I'm ready to frog kick, so the fins are streamlined.

I'm too light, so I had to dismount, disconnect the cord from the scooter, go back to my Scubaru, get heavier, you know most the routine... Plug in the cord, get in 4-5' of water, push the scooter motor to the bottom, mount this thing (weird place to put a scooter), fall on my face, cough in my snorkel, relax, relax, relax... Turn on the motor... I'ts cavitation time... figure out how to push the scooter back into the water so that the blades are in... Wow! I'm moving! Take a deep breath... Turn the scooter up a speed... Bend at the torso, and I am down! Shooting along the bottom, 3' off the bottom at MACH!!! Turn up a speed again WOWWW. There was a crab, That was cool! I am flying along! I've been down, what 5 seconds? M u s t B r e a t h e . . . Bend back, shoot to the surface. Awesome! OK, have to catch my breath.

So a couple more sessions like that, and I am ready to go deeper. So I go out to the end of the T-dock, get my breathing calmed down, take a deep breath, adn dive for the bottom. Definitely need to start the scooter first and go up a couple of speeds. I'm holding my nose, because I am not sure what to expect as far as clearing. I equalize at the surface and hold pressure against my ears on the way down, and that seems to work well. I bet I am down a total of 20 - 30 seconds. I know I can hold my breath for at least a minute, but it is so strange to feel compression on my lungs and suit, and mask, and I am not prepared for the experience.

Still, I think I probably went down to 45' or so on one dive. I went looking for the geodome, and actually found the buoy line, but then I got to thinking about what if I actually found the geodome, ran into it (or got tangled in it), with my head, blanked out... :help: yikes - Not going there again. This calls for a helmet, at least.

Oh, so now it is Friday, and I am "saddle sore".

I got to experience something truly unique. Freediving scooters was really fast, super fun, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I rode a rocket and lived to tell the story!

The scooters got shipped out and are heading to Cayman:
http://www.performancefreediving.com/co ... ng2009.htm

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Freediving Cuda

Post by spatman »

great story, smike! that sounds like a blast!

man, i totally would have gunned it to the surface to see how far out of the water i could get...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:great story, smike! that sounds like a blast!

man, i totally would have gunned it to the surface to see how far out of the water i could get...
I know, I have this Hunt for Red October image in my head! I wonder if you can get airborne?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Wow, that is the part I meant to include - I'm rather large, so I didn't breach, but it was cool to have my head pop a good two feet out of the water. I always "whooped" an "Whoo Hoo!" yell each time I came up.

I didn't get the scooter into top speed, I think it still had two more up. I would think I could get my head up 5' above water on surface on a good run - Hmmm. I'll have to ask Ben if I can take one out again...

The other part I forgot to include is that the visibility was about 6 feet, and water was very green. So on the way down, I am heading into the darkness, not sure how far down I am except guessing by the squeeze. Then when I turn to go up, the dark --- is still dark... then 2 or 3 seconds, and you can see light coming into view... lighter, lighter... POP "Whoo Hoo!"

Whoo Hoo!
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

smike wrote:Wow, that is the part I meant to include - I'm rather large, so I didn't breach,
Hey I'm really skinney and light! I bet I could get a good Dolphin flip out of it. Cool report too bad I missed the show. Thanks Mike for sharing.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I hear rumor that the free-diving goddess MRC can breach out to her knees, and was pretty sure if she had more of a run at it could get out to her ankles ;)

WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by ljjames on Fri May 08, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I have access to a record-holding free diver if you're looking for someone to do more testing. He happens to have invented the Liquivision X1.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I believe MR is a record holding free diver as well ;)
----
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Sweet dude !! I'm jealous.. Way to Jam on that bad Boy scooter.. :hello2:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I would love to see Mandy dive it. That would be awesome to see. Ben has stories...
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

ljjames wrote:I hear rumor that the free-diving goddess MRC can breach out to her knees, and was pretty sure if she had more of a run at it could get out to her ankles ;)

WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy gives it a pretty good shot at the very end of the clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFXliMhI ... re=related
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Ok as if I didn't need reason enough to buy a scooter... adding freediving to the list... sheesh.

As someone who is a recent proud owner of a pair of those long freediving fins I'm here to tell you that it is really really hard to frog kick in them.... stupid muscle memory. But boy oh boy can I haul ass while flutter kicking.

Kidspot over in Maui has a cool video of someone freediving DIR style (you might need a DMX account to view).

I certainly hope no one I (try and) freedrive with every lubes themselves up, for any reason, at any point, any time we're out diving.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

THE VIDEO!!! They are using the scooters we tested out in Mukilteo...
Looks like awesome fun.
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/4871633[/vimeo]
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I gots me a seat and a couple cudas and am going out to try that today...

Once i figure out how to control the thing, me thinks it's the next step in monkey diving, evolution of scoo-toe-ring as seen in faisal's vids from the red sea, perhaps?

Wooooooot!!!!!

According to Ben it's a lot harder than they make it look in the vid... loads of work :) Maybe it will become part of my abs and thigh-master routine!! LOL!
----
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Would be great if you had the viz to see where you are going. If Ben has another harness, I'll go with you in a heartbeat - it is a blast!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

:)

the other seats are still in free diving land I think... But when they come back... Maybe I should start charging ;) Kinda like the carnival, it's an "E" ticket ride!!!!!!!!!
----
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I wonder how this seat/harness would compare to monkey diving, the seat sure seems streamlined. I think it would be cool to sling a bottle and try it out on scuba. Of course I haven't tried monkey diving out yet so I can't compare, Give us a report Laura!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

tuning down my regs as I type this.... ;) I think i'll have to have a dedicated "crazy ass fast reg" setup... Yanno, for testing the new prop and stuff too when its done as well on our test course...
----
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow great video. Why oh why is there always just one more thing to buy?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

OH MY GOD THAT IS SO FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after everyones reports I was a bit worried about doing it in my drysuit, etc...

well, verdict is, it's SUPER smooth, and fast and HELLA FUN!!!!!!

I probably scootered 3 miles this evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all should come out and give it a try... I just can't tell you with words how amazing and cool it is... very easy to control... very very relaxing...

Both on Monkey or free diving, it's just... amazing...

My style is a little different, it's a combination of the Free divers, with fins and the seat and remote on/off, and faisal in the red sea doing his scoo-toe-ring, cept I keep my bottle on, and don't toss gear around at depth. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxoUVQ2 ... re=related

I should have some video tomorrow or monday :D
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

got new housing so had to take it for a spin... this is the stock 65 degree lens, the Fathom 90 shows up tuesday! Handed off the camera to lamont for a minute or two to show the silliness...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXVV1QxYJy8[/youtube]
----