"What is dangerous" - in scuba diving ??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: "What is dangerous" - in scuba diving ??

Post by Dashrynn »

Norris wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
spudgunman wrote:
I will also 2nd the danger of diving with H20doc, he seems to get killer starfish that remove your mask and then try to choke you with old crab legs that float around. Dont know how they always find him in the water.
I can second that, somehow old H20doctor encountered a sunflower star at the last redondo dive we did. Dunno how that thing got on his head...but doc was shocked when i pointed it out.

Then to top it off at mukilteo he manages to scare the crapzolla out of me with an old red rock crab shell and claws (and you know how vicious those guys are.)
Look on the bright side,at least now you dont have that crapzilla in you anymore..
In me? Doc better get back to diving!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Every time my wife see's or reads about a diver's death, she repeats to me "Diving is so dangerous, please be careful!"
I always reply. "It's not dangerous it's serious."
Being careless can get you in trouble very fast, just as panic can. I think every recreational diver should get trained up to, and even beyond, Rescue Diver. As a Rescue Diver you are trained to self rescue and then help your buddy from there.
Learning about panic and even experiencing it in a controlled training exercise, helps you become a better diver. Oh, and take Greatful Diver's gas management seminar!

Just my 2 cents :popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

So "panic" is more or less the thing which leads to other dangerous situations. I am not saying that i don't panic at all but i do have some panic management training which i did as part of my Motorcycle safety course. And now it makes all sense.

So far my swimming is fun and i can't wait to take the course.

One basic question though, it might not be related to the topic of this thread but does the hood keep water totally out and keeps head and ears dry ? or it absorbs water but maintains a boundary between cold water and the skin??
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

even a dry suit hood is the same as a wet suit hood. made of neoprene and keeps the water from exchanging away from you, same as a wet suit. Your head warms up the water pretty fast. But when you use a dry suit, it keeps your body and undergarments dry. Um, most of the time.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Actually there are dry hoods. They are common on Viking and other PSD/commercial type drysuits. They keep your entire head completely dry except when they don't. I had a dry hood on my first suit (Viking) way back when. It was warmer but more hassle. I now dive (and prefer) a typical wet hood.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey