Good info for the DIR types

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Good info for the DIR types

Post by dsteding »

airsix wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I actually have more difficulty matching with "UTD" divers (some not all) in the slightly shallower range (80-120ft) due to a philosphical split on standard gases between 30/30 and 25/25. I don't really use either except for rare dives anyway.
That sounds like "I'm DIR, not UTD". What is your distinction between UTD and DIR? DIR = GUE and anything else (5thD-x, NTec, etc.) = UTD? My vision was UTD encompassing all of the above. :dontknow:

-Ben

No, Richard keeps insisting on diving that wacky gas, nothing DIR/UTD difference about it. Probably the minor difference between two otherwise extremely compatible systems.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Hey Josh ... let's go hook up with these guys sometime. I'll certainly buddy up with ya ... I'll just bring my own bailout bottle (I have dived with RB'ers a few times in the past).

I think they're serious about everybody being welcomed ... let's give 'em the benefit of the doubt and go for it sometime.

Besides, I've wanted an excuse to dive with ya.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
See you all at Edmonds next week? I was happy to dive with Josh (Meg) and John (Kiss Classic) at Browning Pass. I'm sure I could stand to learn more about RB rescue/bailout procedures and what not but it can't be as complicating as say, Ratio Deco, or Diving without a Computer.
Last edited by Pez7378 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I sure hope LCF chimes in here soon. I think I might have goofed - next week is at Edmonds. Don't quote me though, she's in charge.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote: No, Richard keeps insisting on diving that wacky gas, nothing DIR/UTD difference about it. Probably the minor difference between two otherwise extremely compatible systems.
Actually by and large I don't use either one. 32% to 100ft. 21/35 after that to 150ft. 18/45 below that. Except for the very rare overhead dive in the 90-110ft range which is a crapshoot between 25/25 and 30/30. I've only used one of those at a whopping 3 sites in the past 4 or so years.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I actually have more difficulty matching with "UTD" divers (some not all) in the slightly shallower range (80-120ft) due to a philosphical split on standard gases between 30/30 and 25/25. I don't really use either except for rare dives anyway.
That sounds like "I'm DIR, not UTD". What is your distinction between UTD and DIR? DIR = GUE and anything else (5thD-x, NTec, etc.) = UTD? My vision was UTD encompassing all of the above. :dontknow:

-Ben
The labels are strictly an internet thing.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I just use 10/50 for everything below 100' . What do you use below 225'?

DM
Dave Mitchell
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I hadn't written anything about next week's Tweek, because I didn't want people to get confused about which site was for which week, but next week's is being organized by me, and will be at Edmonds. And everybody is welcome to join us. There's a pretty decent Mexican restaurant up the hill from the park for after, if anybody's up for it.

My dear friend Claudette from LA will be with us, so I hope as many people come as possible, so she gets to meet them!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote:I just use 10/50 for everything below 100' . What do you use below 225'?

DM
I'm a nada therea :salute:

(oh and thanks to LCF for correcting my misinformation about Tuesday the 12th)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Pez7378 wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Hey Josh ... let's go hook up with these guys sometime. I'll certainly buddy up with ya ... I'll just bring my own bailout bottle (I have dived with RB'ers a few times in the past).

I think they're serious about everybody being welcomed ... let's give 'em the benefit of the doubt and go for it sometime.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
See you all at Edmonds next week? I was happy to dive with Josh (Meg) and John (Kiss Classic) at Browning Pass. I'm sure I could stand to learn more about RB rescue/bailout procedures and what not but it can't be as complicating as say, Ratio Deco, or Diving without a Computer.
I'd like to ... but that's a bit far north for me on a weeknight (probably 2+ hour drive from Tacoma in rush hour traffic) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:
dsteding wrote: No, Richard keeps insisting on diving that wacky gas, nothing DIR/UTD difference about it. Probably the minor difference between two otherwise extremely compatible systems.
Actually by and large I don't use either one. 32% to 100ft. 21/35 after that to 150ft. 18/45 below that. Except for the very rare overhead dive in the 90-110ft range which is a crapshoot between 25/25 and 30/30. I've only used one of those at a whopping 3 sites in the past 4 or so years.
Yeah, I see myself using the same gases by and large. 25/25 at least gives some more flexibility at in terms of operating range (from a PPO2 perspective). But, I'll probably move towards similar gas selections.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

When in doubt, more He, less O2. There's nothing quite like seeing your dive site on the depth sounder 10ft below your MOD. #-o :crybaby:

Some of my buddies pay flat rates for trimix and they are using 32% recreationally and 18/45 for everything else (up to 200ft).
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Really? As one of the people on the "not welcome" list, I'm having trouble with that statement, Doug.
You were welcome at the Tuesday pipeline dealio (last week) but missed it. And are still welcome, just BYO-Buddy please. The reasons for BYOB are varied but mostly our comfort level (not yours) with RBs and associated stuff in general. But that doesn't mean you can't join us, we usually eat afterwards BTW. Love that MX Taqueria on Ambaum Ave above 3Tree, mmmm.
Hey Josh ... let's go hook up with these guys sometime. I'll certainly buddy up with ya ... I'll just bring my own bailout bottle (I have dived with RB'ers a few times in the past).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You're on- if next week doesn't work, we'll do a different one. (And anybody who isn't too confused by it is welcome to my bailout bottle if they need it.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

all in all diving with the rebreather crew is still very easy, i learned what to look for on my first dive with josh after he got his new toy, i dive with him on the meg and matt on his evo at least once a week and its no big deal. my only regret is having to listen to them blab to each other underwater! yadda yadda yadda :bootyshake:

kind of sounds like being scared of what you dont know theory, just like the whole stupid anti dir mentality.

come on people, over 100 replies, over 800 views!! wish we could put this energy into finding a way to make helium cheaper.
now back away and go diving, im free friday and sat morning
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Burntchef wrote:
kind of sounds like being scared of what you dont know theory, just like the whole stupid anti dir mentality.
Sure, sounds that way, but it is a bit different.

One foundation of the way I dive is based on the team: team resources, team compatibility. The other part of this foundation is risk, and keeping risk at a minimum and acceptable level for the dives I do.

Introducing a RB into a team like we put together basically destroys the underlying concepts and our approaches to the dive. Different gas management, different emergency procedures, different air-sharing procedures (not the least of which is the fact that UTD is about donating a reg you've been breathing off of, virtually impossible with a RB diver). Not to mention significantly more complex and strange failures that will not only impact the RB diver the way we dive, but the whole team.

Could I do a 30 foot toodle around Edmonds with a RB diver? Probably, it just isn't something that is high on my list of priorities. Would I do a tech dive with a RB diver while I am on OC? No, because it goes against my concepts of the team. This is actually a very reasoned choice on my part, and not some knee-jerk reaction to something I don't understand.

Does this mean I have anything against RB divers?

No.

I think the world of Dan and Matt, and Josh and I have always gotten along just fine topside. They've made a decision about a way to dive, and Dan in particular probably needs a Meg to do the deep dives he's doing. Is there a threshold somewhere out there where I'd consider diving an RB personally? Yes. Probably around the 250-300 foot range, for me the gas management advantages of the rebreather at those depths starts to outweigh the real risks in terms of diving them. But, I don't think I'll ever get to those depths.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

My friends and I dive mixed teams of OC and CCR all the time. Two good buddies we dive with have been doing deep tech dives w/ CCR and OC together for years- they're hitting the Admiral Sampson, in 310 fsw, this weekend, as a matter of fact. (Not their first time there, either.)
I know the DIR line on CCRs, and that's cool. But you should know that there are people out there bagging big dives as mixed OC/CCR teams. Strangely, they don't seem to have much of a problem with this. Just like Howard and Ken seem to have no problem diving with us- they understand how to get emergency gas from a stage bottle, which isn't terribly hard to do. We know that our limiting factor is their gas and deco obligation, so we dive OC profiles with them. It's not rocket surgery. If you're looking at team resourses, each CCR diver basically has enough OC gas to get an entire diver back to the surface without getting bent, from max depth/ deco obligation. They will probably not need it- which means that every CCR diver is carrying a whole entire rescue package, for whoever might need it, on them. THAT'S a helluva "team resource."

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote:My friends and I dive mixed teams of OC and CCR all the time. Two good buddies we dive with have been doing deep tech dives w/ CCR and OC together for years- they're hitting the Admiral Sampson, in 310 fsw, this weekend, as a matter of fact. (Not their first time there, either.)
I know the DIR line on CCRs, and that's cool. But you should know that there are people out there bagging big dives as mixed OC/CCR teams. Strangely, they don't seem to have much of a problem with this. Just like Howard and Ken seem to have no problem diving with us- they understand how to get emergency gas from a stage bottle, which isn't terribly hard to do. We know that our limiting factor is their gas and deco obligation, so we dive OC profiles with them. It's not rocket surgery. If you're looking at team resourses, each CCR diver basically has enough OC gas to get an entire diver back to the surface without getting bent, from max depth/ deco obligation. They will probably not need it- which means that every CCR diver is carrying a whole entire rescue package, for whoever might need it, on them. THAT'S a helluva "team resource."
Yeah, but people solo dive all the time. Not my cup of tea. Just because people are doing it doesn't mean it is right for everyone, or for me.

I, quite frankly, have probably less of a risk tolerance than those diving mixed teams, or doing 310 fsw dives. Remember, we started diving at remarkably similar times, you've progressed much faster and to much deeper depths than I have in the same time period. Is it skill? Probably not, the difference between us is probably a thirst for depth/wrecks that meant you were more willing to move quickly through education to get there. Me on the other hand? I take baby steps and do things like limit myself to one deco bottle after finishing my tech training.

CCR divers always point to their bailout gas as the ultimate team resource.

It isn't.

Lurking in the background as a CCR diver is the very real possibility of hypoxia and CO2, two things that, if they effect one diver, they'd effect the whole team the way I dive. What is always missing in these discussions is not what you can provide the team, but what happens if something goes wrong to the RB diver, not the OC diver. It is worth noting that based on complexity of systems alone, the RB diver is more likely to experience a failure.

Let's set up a couple scenarios. If I'm at 150 feet and my buddy has a gear problem (say, a valve failure) we know how to handle it because we dive the same rigs. If you have as similar failure with a mixed team, the OC person is going to have much less of a familiarity of your rig than you do. Where do they turn off the bottle if something happens? What are the consequences of that action? If they did have similar familiarity, they would probably not be diving OC. Rebreathers still have a much higher fatality rate than OC, and the failures that are possible are much more lethal. For me to accept that as part of the team for big dives, I'd have to have a damn good reason (like all of us needing them for the depths we were at).

I do find it interesting that the CCR types push mixed teams just as hard as some DIR types push a backplate or a fundies class.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm with Doug.

My reluctance to dive with CCR divers has nothing much to do with my fear that they can't rescue me. It has everything to do with the fact that I don't understand the units they're diving, and I don't know how to rescue THEM. And I've read enough accident stories on CCRs to be terribly afraid of them. AND -- When I dive, I make a compact with the people I enter the water with, that I will do everything I can to get them back out of the water in one piece. That presupposes I have some ability to do that, and for OC, I do. I understand single and double tanks, and freeflows and valve failures and ox-toxing and unconscious diver rescue. I don't understand hypoxia and caustic cocktails and how some breathers can be quickly converted to OC and some can't; I just don't understand the equipment and procedures, don't feel competent to help, and until or unless I do, I stick to diving with people I feel I can hold up my side of the bargain with.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I can't argue that CCRs aren't more complex. Or that people die on them. But the rescue scenarios are child's play. If it's a "not too bad" kinda failure, the CCR diver might stay on the loop and turn the dive. If it's a really bad failure, you go OC and turn the dive. (Without a double iso manifold, and the failure scenarios that I never bothered to learn, I might add. ) If you find me unconscious, for some reason, you close the loop (complicated, I know, but it's a lever on the DSV- rotate it 90 degrees- just like a light switch.) and stick a reg in my mouth and purge it- sound familiar? I learned it in my PADI rescue class. I just don't see what's so hard about that- in many ways, it's simpler than the whole "Left post non-fixable, yadda yadda" stuff.

Ultimately, I don't really care. You folks don't wanna dive with me because of my equipment. Some of you wouldn't dive with me because of where I chose to clip off my SPG when I was diving OC. I'm invited to join you for a dive, provided I bring my own dive buddy. Since Bob volunteered, I'll make a point of it, too. More fun to discuss this stuff over beers anyway.

I'm fine with all that. I have lots of dive buddies. I probably should have shut up, and bit my tongue yet again, about 6 posts back. But I grow weary of dogma, sometimes.

Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I've been watching this thread quietly but finally got tick'd off.

I only dive mixed teams because I'm stuck with buddies who can't afford or just haven't progressed to rebreathers. So to turn the tables, Let me say that If I have a choice I don't dive with OC divers. Why would I? that's like going back to Jr. High.

If you guys want to dive your team concept, I have no problem with that, but don't sit around thumping your chest about being big tech divers when in reality you are afraid to do, and when necessary to carry the gas to do real dives.

If your team is so in sync why can't you manage a gas switch without killing each other? If you have any mental capacity at all, a gas switch is no big deal you check, your buddy checks for you and you switch and yes, I've seen someone try to switch to a questionable gas.

For the record, I don't consider 170' for 10 a dive, a dive like that's not worth putting my gear on for unless I'm being paid to do it. On the rebreather, that's a 23 minute runtime, what a waste of time and scrubber.

Don't want to dive with CCR folks fine, but be honest it's because you don't understand the equipment not because off all the other crap you keep throwing out. Yes, there are things that might go wrong with the rebreather that may not happen on OC but a good rebreather diver has more tools to fix those problems than you do on OC.

You want to be a tech diver and do the real dives then you should open your eyes and you'll see that the big dives are all being done on rebreathers now not OC. If you insist on sticking with OC you better get comfortable with those gas switches cause you'll be doing alot of them. Pay attention, there are starting to be alot more trips advertised that are CCR only and rarely do you see one OC only.

Btw, the last time I checked, there were no caves at Alki.

Josh, come up here, I'll dive with you and my bailout is always on and ready!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Why MUST this become a pissing match?!

From reading everything carefully, it appears that there are a lot of "I" statements being said here which aren't being heard for what they are.

To paraphrase: "I am not comfortable with CCR;" "I don't feel comfortable doing X dive with a mixed team;" "I AM comfortable with mixed teams;" "I like this...;" "I like that..."

GREAT!! EVERYONE IS COMFORTABLE WITH THEIR OWN PERSONAL TOLERANCE LEVELS!! EVERYTHING HAS BEEN RELATIVELY POLITE TOO!! WAHOO!! Why do we have inflammatory posts happening in response to "I" statements?!

I DON'T LIKE MUSHROOMS!!! Now, let's do battle on the merits of whether I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T like to eat mushrooms because apparently disclosed personal preference is now an area for attack.

This thread started with a joke against DIR, has morphed in and out of a productive discussion, is DESPERATELY trying to stay productive with VERY informed and skilled people respectfully and productively weighing in on it - people who could, and most probably WILL, have beers together, happily, within 14 days of this thread. People whom I admire greatly, on both sides of the DISCUSSION!!!

What the hell is the problem here?! So people have different ideas of what is an acceptable risk tolerance. Wahoo. So people have different choices in gear. Wahoo.

My p-valve is larger than yours!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! :naka:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I think we just went from Doing It Right to Doing It Rebreather!

I'm not DIR, I'm not a tech diver, I don't understand rebreathers and I just don't care anymore.

Who's diving this weekend? :occasion5:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:Who's diving this weekend? :occasion5:
Want to come try out the dive simulator? It's awesome - you can have a bottle (or beer, or milk) WHILE you dive!! I'm diving with the little one this weekend...
IMG_0096.JPG
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote:Who's diving this weekend? :occasion5:
That would be me. :supz: 600 miles, 36 hours, 5 dives. Rock & Roll. :supz:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

dsteding wrote:Lurking in the background as a CCR diver is the very real possibility of hypoxia and CO2, two things that, if they effect one diver, they'd effect the whole team the way I dive. What is always missing in these discussions is not what you can provide the team, but what happens if something goes wrong to the RB diver, not the OC diver. It is worth noting that based on complexity of systems alone, the RB diver is more likely to experience a failure.
how is this different on oc or cc?? if something goes wrong you call the dive period no discussion. you can build up co2 on oc as well right? every failure effects the team or buddy. if i have to shove my reg in joshes mouth then so be it, just like in a ox tox rescue, am i going to be highly concerned if his loop floods? probably not, saving his life is worth a can of sorb. yes rebreathers are more complex but the more you educate yourself with them the better you are. if no one in your posse is ever going the ccr way then i agree on why bother learning.
dsteding wrote:Let's set up a couple scenarios. If I'm at 150 feet and my buddy has a gear problem (say, a valve failure) we know how to handle it because we dive the same rigs. If you have as similar failure with a mixed team, the OC person is going to have much less of a familiarity of your rig than you do.
again not if you are familiar with his gear. this is one reason josh joined in on some of the dives we did during our tech1. matt knew that we were going to be a mixed group and it was great. i can glance at joshes comp and see all 3 cells reading his po2, i can see his hud and know whats going on, i can look in his eyes and see if he is ok.

dsteding wrote:. Rebreathers still have a much higher fatality rate than OC,
come on doug you are way better than that, how many deaths are factually the fault of the machine?? maybe before our time that was true but with the rush of " extreme diving" there will allways be people pushing themeselves well beyond there training and most will not surface alive. even if you were to throw in the deaths blamed on the machine i would bet its still not a close pecentage to oc deaths.

hey bob when you hook up with josh let me know, its been a long time since we dove together as well.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Pez7378 wrote: Who's diving this weekend? :occasion5:
Me!

Shoot me a PM if you're up for some dives ... I've got nine planned.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/