Introductions Please

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Awesome LG! I can't wait to hear your account of your first impressions. It's really a lot to absorb during your first encounters. Hey, you might want to wait for the UWS Diver's Fair for the big ticket items.

Woooohoooo for LawGoddess!

:wav:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great Goin'!
You Go Girl! :supz:
=D> \:D/ :smt038 :bootyshake: :wav:
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Greetings All!

I found this site by happenstance tonight and since I saw a few old friends were already here felt obligated to join in the fun!

I've been diving for five years, have almost 800 dives to my credit, a gazillion specialties and decided to move up to the ranks of Divemaster, EFR Instructor (CPR and First Aid) and DAN Instructor (Basic O2, Advanced O2, REMO2, Hazardous Marine Life Injuries, AED, Onsite Neurological Assessment, BLSPRO). Like my friend Grateful Diver I love learning any and everything about diving. Currently my passions include underwater photography and videography, but bottle hunting is right up there too.

I got into diving when I made a trip to Australia and did a Discover Scuba kind of dive in the Great Barrier Reef. The organization even had some Rx masks so I could actually see what it was I was looking at, and I was instantly hooked. When I came back to the PNW I certified so I could do it for real. Now I dive a few times a week and can't get enough (work really gets in the way!).

Dive boards are fantastic. I've met several buddies thro them who have turned out to be not only great divers and mentors (Bob B aka Grateful Diver, and John Rawlings aka Wolfeel) but wonderful friends as well. Dive Boards; can't live without 'em I say \:D/

Looking forward to meeting up with y'all!

-Valerie :prayer:
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Nice to meet you Zen. We are planning a dive at Cove 2 tomorrow if you are interested. Look forward to diving with you soon!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Welcome, Valerie- Zendiver. This here's a great board- good people. I've made a few friends allready. Hope to see you in the water sometime!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Welcome ZEN :supz:
Who run barter town?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Valerie! As a new diver (38 dives) we always welcome the great advice, wisdom, perspective and experience brought by long time divers! Glad to be on board with you! Tom Nic
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ah ... all my friends are showing up. Welcome to the club Valerie ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Sounds like everyones your freind Bob. :supz: I see on other boards people speak highly of you! Thats a great thing to have people like you around lending a hand.. :partyman:
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hola Valerie!

Your story speaks to my experience as well. My first dive was at the GBR too, a Discover SCUBA dive and I was hooked!

I believe I've seen you around ScubaBoard (I'm Funkyspelunker over there).

Well, it's great to have you here. Being a smaller group, we tend to bump into each other in real life a bit more, which is the best part about this site. I had the pleasure of diving with Bob & Chen for the first time last weekend. Thanks again GD! :notworthy:
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Seargent Pepper wrote:Nice to meet you Zen. We are planning a dive at Cove 2 tomorrow if you are interested. Look forward to diving with you soon!
Actually, I'll be doing 3 dives at Cove 2 Wednesday but during the day time. In the evening I'm packing and getting gas fills for a few days in Hood Canal starting Thursday AM.

If you're there by mid-later afternoon look for me, I'll be in or near my dark green Ford Explorer. Say "hi" if you're around.

-Valerie :salute:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hello and welcome Zen-Diver / Valerie, :hello2:
I too am realativly new to diving, but look forward to diving with some experienced divers such as yourself, One thing for sure, I've noticed there is always something new to learn at each dive. Hope to meet & dive with you soon.
:bounce:

Bassman (Keith)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wow! It seems like every time I log in here another one of my good friends has signed up! I'm DEFINITELY feeling "at home" on this site! Great to see you here, Val!

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Food Friends?
Nice typo? =D>
F & G are right next to each other on the key board.

Its amazing how one letter can make a difference.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I love my Food Friends!!! ](*,)

Welcome Zen and welcome back John!!! I too look forward to learning from you both. \:D/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wassamatta wit youse guys? Dontcha have any "food friends"? Hee Hee Hee!

Oops.....typo alert! Edit completed! #-o

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Hi Everyone

Post by Pez7378 »

Hey everyone, My name is Christopher (PEZ)

I've been hanging around SB for a while trying to get back into the swing of diving when I found out about NWDC. A co-worker got me going again and I recently ordered a dry suit with plans to purchase everything I need to be self sufficient. I will be taking a refresher as well as a dry suit orientation and hope to be diving soon. I have future plans to hook up with Bob (NWGreatfulDiver) for an AOW class hopefully in the next few months. Once I'm situated I will be dragging my buddy out to Cove 2 to meet you all, Wednesdays right? This is a great site, and a good service to divers in the area. Thanks
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Pez!
I don't do the Wednesday night dives myself, but I'm sure if you stick around we will dive together, eventually.
Should be fun! You will love the whole dry suit thing!
And as for the AOW? It is worth every penny!
Go for it! :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome PEZ! Wednesdays are usually standard fare around here. I won't be making it today, but next week looks good. I think I'll be trying out some gear ahead of the trip to Hood Canal next weekend.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nice Avatar Calvin! Looks like me whe I was learning to wakeboard!!!

Welcome Pez! \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Holy Mackerel Calvin!! Is that you impaled on a leaping dolphin?!?! :toimonster: :smt065
Uwscotch
Getting To Know Folks

Nice to meet you all

Post by Uwscotch »

Well, Hello

My name is Aaron and I decided to check the site out after a sold a tank to Calvin a week ago. However, I realize that I have been to this site before and appreciated the descriptions that members gave for dive sites.

Well, like a lot of people here, I dive a lot. I have a fairly good collection of warm water and cold water diving experiences under my belt. My wife and I have dove at almost all of the main Caribbean destinations as well as a number of the not so popular places. However, my wifes diving is very limited in the NW. I get her out around once a month during the summer.

I normally do a night dive every week, either Wed or Thurs and now realize that I have likely come across a lot of you at Alki during your club dives. I normally put in 2 fun dives on the weekend and the rest of the time is spent teaching the next generation of divers.

I am currently a Divemaster at a local dive shop and am working on the Instructor Development Course. While helping out as a Divemaster, it has been brought to my attention that I work very well with students and have my own unique style that helps students that are struggling. I'm sure a lot of this comes from classes I've teached during my carreer. I am a glutten for punishment.

I'm always looking for new people to dive with, although I already have a handful of regulars that I go out with. With that said, I'm sure any dives I go on with the club, I will likely bring new friends along. One thing I have not experienced is fresh water diving. If anyone does fresh water dive, I would be game for giving it a try. I'm hoping to make a trip to Lake Crescent, but all the people I will go with will likely be trimixers and I happen to lack the funding for such levels of certification.

I'm a big tinkerer. If something has DIY written on it, I will give it a try. To be honest, it is not an attempt to save money since I realize every time I go into a project, I spend more money than I would if I were to purchase those spring straps, O2 analyzer, lift bags, so and so forth from the dive shop. I need to unleash my creativity on some poor and unsuspecting plastic.

So that is an aweful lot about me. I'm a certification junkie, however I rarely send in to get the cards. Basically hang out with the instructor I work with and go thru all of the education and dives. Always about learning new things.

best

aaron
A promise made is debt unpaid.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey, uwscotch/aaron - that's really something when someone tells you that you're a good teacher. having a good teacher can mean a world of difference in so many ways. welcome!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nice to see you here Aaron! :supz:

Also, thanks for the tank, now my 'Bertha' has a twin sister. Actually, I did a dive with her last weekend, right after you sold it to me and when I got into the water I just realized "I hope this thing doesn't have Nitrox in it!". But, knowing that you're a DM I was confident that you would've either A) mentioned it to me or B) have had some tape on the tank indicating O2%. Anyway, Nailer's eyes got pretty big when I told him to keep an eye out for convulsions :-({|=

Well, welcome aboard. I hope to see you around Cove 2 or elsewhere soon!
Uwscotch
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Uwscotch »

Right on about letting you know about the O2 mix. Pure 20.9 % O2 for you my friend. I'll be out at Cove II tonight with a buddy for a night dive around 8:30 or so. Maybe I will run into you guys and give a quick hello.

best with "bertha's" twin.

aaron
A promise made is debt unpaid.