July 15th - Dive Club BBQ w/ Presentation by John Rawlings

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Awesome. Thanks. :prayer:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It was great meeting everyone. Cheng and I had a great time ... and Cheng said this is the friendliest dive club she's ever seen.

Huge thanks to John for the presentations ... as always, interesting and informative. And even HUGER thanks to Calvin for coordinating and hosting the get-together.

Cheng and I had two long dives at Edmonds today ... was expecting to see some of y'all, but must've missed ya. We were there from about 8:15 till about 1:30 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Grateful Diver wrote:It was great meeting everyone. Cheng and I had a great time ... and Cheng said this is the friendliest dive club she's ever seen.

Huge thanks to John for the presentations ... as always, interesting and informative. And even HUGER thanks to Calvin for coordinating and hosting the get-together.

Cheng and I had two long dives at Edmonds today ... was expecting to see some of y'all, but must've missed ya. We were there from about 8:15 till about 1:30 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sorry we missed you Bob. Nailer and I figured everyone else was done doing their dives for the day so we sauntered over to Cove 2 at around 3pm and did a pair of dives there. We ran into The Jims, Maverick and Cuppie as they were finishing their Rescue class.

I think everyone had a great time and thank you and Cheng for coming. It was my pleasure to host, but it really wasn't much work at all. I forgot to bring two party platters and the dive log pages I made for everyone, so I'll have to bring the log pages to people individually. The brain cells weren't working properly I guess.

About this being a nice dive club. I have to agree, though I have nothing to compare it to except for the odd stories I hear once in a while about some other clubs having problems w/ finances and/or politics. I've never belonged to another dive club so I don't know what I'm missing (for better or worse).

I had no idea this little club would grow to the size it is already, or that it would be so fun. Actually, I just set up this board so that the 5 or 6 dive buddies I had at the time would stop sending me so many emails via reply-all, since I already have a ton of work email to read through each day. Ironically, only one of them really liked the idea of communicating this way (Dave), and then a few of you guys picked up on this site and away we went with friends telling more friends about it!

I think the reason this club is pretty nice is that it's simple. No dues and no one is really 'in charge'. From the beginning we've just had 2 basic rules:

* Have fun.
* Be nice.

As we grow there might need to be additional guidelines (such as: don't use too much habenero when preparing food for divers), but for now I'm happy as a clam seeing things the way they are. :fish:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

YEAH that ist trrue, my ass just stopped burning yesterday :angryfire:

there is a third rule to the club, you have to like pizza, since we always eat pizza.

bob, i would love to have a dive with you some time, as would Cuppie.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

HEY GANG:

I have grate news MY BRAKES ARE FIXED :bootyshake: :bootyshake:

thanks in large part to my brother-inlaw Gary now there is one smart cookie he not only figured out a way for me to get my striped out allan head bolts out he also figured out how to disasembule and reasumbule my locking hubs which by the way if you drive a older Dodge like I do you have to do to replace your front rotors ( Go figure )

but the long and short of it is I can now stop with out slideing all over the place

so now I can dive againe but not next weekend have to work on Saturday and wife has something lanned for next sunday I think

So see you all in a few weeks I hope

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

good to hear sparky.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sasquatch wrote:Hi there, all.

I posted some shots of the BBQ in the gallery. I don't know how to link directly to it but if you go to the gallery it'll be there under my name, Sasquatch or John Rawlings' Presentation. I don't know...

Sea ya!

(Sparky can check it out, now)
yea but there is no picture of the food what am I going to eat whhile I look at the pictures?

thanks for the pics looks like I missed out on a good time againe
but I got the Ramcharger all fixed not so I hope to be up for some diving in a couple weeeks

looks like you all had a grate time

I am sooo bummed now missed out againe and this time I could have seen Bbo B and Cheng Bob you give her a big hug for me you hear?
what a grate lady.

I was so looking foward to hearing John R story present this to
Oh well there will be lots of chances to hear it in the future.

see you all soon

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Maverick wrote: bob, i would love to have a dive with you some time, as would Cuppie.
That's easy ... all you need are the three magic words ... "let's go diving" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sparky wrote:......I was so looking foward to hearing John R story present this to
Oh well there will be lots of chances to hear it in the future.

see you all soon

Sparky
Hey, Sparky!

As requested above in my earlier post, please mail a DNA sample (a lock of hair will do) to me so that I can forward it to the FBI lab for testing. I'm curious as to whether you truly exist or if you are really a computer generated image and series of posts used by Calvin to advertise for NWDC. :smt064

Hee Hee Hee!

Sorry that you missed it, bro! I was looking forward to finally meeting you and being able to shake your paw!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote:
......Also, loved the two copies of ADM that I took. Great mag! Loved the heaviness on content, and even though much of it is over my head (in more ways than one) I found it very interesting and worthwhile. I also loved your writing, and look forward to reading more in the future! (When's your book coming out?!?) :book:
I have considered compiling a bunch of my articles on PNW diving that have appeared in ADM and other mags over the years into book form, but at this point have NOT exerted one single little itty-bitty bit of effort to do so....maybe someday? Never having ever published a book before, I'm not even sure how to go about it! ](*,)

In terms of the Warren case, the leader of our team, my friend Dan Pontbriand, is writing a book about the history, search and discovery from beginning to end. I have NO idea yet when it will be available, but rest assured that I will trumpet its availability when it comes out! Dan was on the spot there at Lake Crescent with the National Park Service and right at the core of everything from beginning to end of the "modern" search. His book will undoubtedly be far more detailed than anything any of the rest of us on the team could produce.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

John Rawlings wrote:I'm curious as to whether you truly exist or if you are really a computer generated image and series of posts used by Calvin to advertise for NWDC.
I don't think computer technology can generate such random spelling... :smt024

(Meant in good spirit.)
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

JDelage wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:I'm curious as to whether you truly exist or if you are really a computer generated image and series of posts used by Calvin to advertise for NWDC.
I don't think computer technology can generate such random spelling... :smt024

(Meant in good spirit.)
you will get use to me I spell every thing how it sounds ( to me )

but on the lighter side its not my fault im illigitemate youy know I cant read or wright ](*,) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

And John you could ask Bob B he knows im real he was my mentor when I first started diving..

cant send you a lock of hair I shaved it all off months ago .
looks like you will have just have to join me on my next trip to the sound for a dive then Bro.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

sparky wrote: but on the lighter side its not my fault im illigitemate youy know I cant read or wright ](*,) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Ah, Sparky ... I think you meant to say "illiterate" ... "illegitimate" means that you don't know who your daddy was ... :dontknow:
sparky wrote: And John you could ask Bob B he knows im real he was my mentor when I first started diving..
Yep, I taught you about cabezon eggs and pouring cold water down your wetsuit ... :salute:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Grateful Diver wrote:
sparky wrote: but on the lighter side its not my fault im illigitemate youy know I cant read or wright ](*,) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Ah, Sparky ... I think you meant to say "illiterate" ... "illegitimate" means that you don't know who your daddy was ... :dontknow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob i knew it was one of them big I words LOL :smt064

as to the Cabie eggs we will talk about your mean streak later

\:D/

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Just an update for those of you that have followed the "Warren case" over the years and/or attended the presentation.

My good friend and team leader Dan Pontbriand flew into Seattle yesterday from Washington, DC, where he now lives and works. He's in town for the Historical Diving Society conference that is going on this weekend and that several of us will be attending.

Last night a bunch of the old team got together with Dan at Elliott's on Pier 56 for dinner and remembering. What a great time! Present were Bill Walker, Jerome Ryan, Rollie Warren (grandson of the Warrens), Dan Warter (film-maker) and myself. It felt good to give Dan a huge bear hug and hoot-and-holler a bit. He has made huge progress on his book about the case and we were able to look through part of the manuscript.

Dan and Bill will be driving over to Port Angeles to pick up the venerable 82 year old Bob Caso, the historian of the Warren case as well as a member of the dive team in the 1950s that searched for the missing couple. Bob will be attending the Historical Diving Society conference along with other members of the team and, if I know him, will be doing much reminiscencing about the "old days" of diving.

- John

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

John when do you think the book will be ready? I have yet to see the DVD too - waiting for more to come in stock. Also, please keep us posted if you plan to give another presentation on it... I was sorry to have missed the NWDC one you put on.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounder wrote:John when do you think the book will be ready? I have yet to see the DVD too - waiting for more to come in stock. Also, please keep us posted if you plan to give another presentation on it... I was sorry to have missed the NWDC one you put on.
AS yet there is no announced date of release, although when there is a firm date I will announce it here.

In terms of presentations, that will depend on me being invited by a dive club or other group to give one. With the Lake Crescent discoveries fading into the past those invitations are becoming fewer since it has become, in reality, "old news".

- John

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

John - I hereby invite you to give a presentation at my house whenever you're available. All who would like to attend are welcome. Perhaps Bill Walker might even be able to make it (if he's in town). I know my father-in-law (best friends with Bill) would enjoy it too.

If folks want to let me know they're interested, I'd be happy to put together a BBQ for sometime in the coming weeks/months. If you wanted to dive Pine Lake afterwards - that would be fine too! I don't know if there's much of anything to see... (there's a lot of silt and various crap) but you could dive the swimming/fishing dock at the park looking for treasures or plot yourself a navigation course starting and ending at our dock and polish your skills while rinsing your gear!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'll come! :bounce:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I would like to see it as well if I can time it with the time off and wife permitting

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I had to miss the last presentation / BBQ.
So if at all possible... I would be there!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I will be out of town this weekend, but perhaps after I get back I can get clearance from mission control (Mrs. Sounder) on a good date that works for folks and we'll make it happen.

Another idea - John... any chance you can make the Hood Canal trip in December? I'd hate to wait that long before learning about it, but that might be another option.

Post by . »

Depending on the date and time and my schedule, I would like to attend.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounder wrote:John - I hereby invite you to give a presentation at my house whenever you're available. All who would like to attend are welcome. Perhaps Bill Walker might even be able to make it (if he's in town). I know my father-in-law (best friends with Bill) would enjoy it too.

If folks want to let me know they're interested, I'd be happy to put together a BBQ for sometime in the coming weeks/months. If you wanted to dive Pine Lake afterwards - that would be fine too! I don't know if there's much of anything to see... (there's a lot of silt and various crap) but you could dive the swimming/fishing dock at the park looking for treasures or plot yourself a navigation course starting and ending at our dock and polish your skills while rinsing your gear!
Where is "home"?

I'm always happy to give the presentation if I can manage to make my schedule work.....and if there are enough folks. Doing at the Hood Canal club dive in December will most likely NOT work.

- John

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

You are still welcome to come spend a fun day or two with us at the "Hood" in December!