DIY thread

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY thread

Post by airsix »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. PEZ, were you thinking about a Karambit for diving or LE types? For diving I'd be worried about poking a hole in something important (suit, wing, self...) that said, I've actually already been thinking about trying to make a Karambit design that has a blunt tip, but I haven't tried to draw anything up yet.

Camerone, the pattern that looks like knurling is the fabric weave. Sort of like you can see the weave in carbon fibre, but it's cotton. Because it's an epoxy laminate it's impervious, but the exposed cotton fibers keep it grippy when it's wet. Good stuff. X15tn isn't much like 304 or 316. I've never used 316L, so I can't comment on that. I make custom pocketknives, and use 316 for bolsters because it polishes up real easy, and I use 304 to make pivot-pins because it turns so nice on the lathe. Unlike those, X15tn is not very fun to machine. It didn't seen to work-harden, but it is very hard on tooling. It's got a lot of vanadium, chromium, and molybdenum in it, so even annealed it's tough to cut & drill. The closest thing I can compare it to from personal experience is S30V, made by Crucible Powder Metalurgy. The unique thing about x15tn is it is 0.2% nitrogen (like the H1 steel used by Spyderco in their 'Salt' series of knives).

I have a lot of fun doing projects like this. There is a lot of mental intensity to my job, so some evenings I go out to the garage to relax and unwind. I realize that a $6 steak knife will get the job done, so from most angles a project like this doesn't make sense. You might say "waste of time", but it's more about the doing than the result.

Again, thanks for the comments, guys.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

As a very proud owner of one of these knives, I am absolutely delighted to show mine off as often as possible (and I do, believe me). The bloody finger picture makes me sad, but I suppose that belongs in the "blood" category....having to create some of the equipment to make these, combined with the heating equipment, probably took care of the "sweat and tears" categories.

It was definitely the coolest gift I could have possibly received, and all for standing in line to get some tanks? Ben, you are beyond generous. It is a lovely piece of craftsmanship that I adore, and I am in awe of the work that was put into its creation.

I love the fact that the developers of the metal are mostly divers, too!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I LOVE my knife!! I just got home last night after being away since early Friday morning, and I had to get to the mailbox before I went into the house!! I opened it before bringing my suitcase and just drooled over it. Ben, this is a serious piece of work. It's beautiful. =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

spatman wrote:wow, ben! just... WOW! :supz: =D> :salute:

so do your talents actually have limits?

Not sure which I am more envious of, his talents or the shop and equipment which he works from!
Life is good, let's dive!!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BTW - you can shave with the knife... I have a little bald spot on my wrist to prove it.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

a lot of really cool stuff in here, NWBrewer and his lights, and dry gloves, the BP channel weights, etc, BUT the knife takes the cake. Very very nice work, I wish I had that sort of talent. Thanks for sharing.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Thanks for all the nice comments, Everyone.

There are others out there doing DIY projects and are being shy. I hope they'll open up and share too. One person in particular is doing something extremely cool (well, extremely warm actually). Hopefully he'll post about it.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

What's it take to have a knife made? Any chances, or was that your limited "see how well I can do it" run? 0]

D(B)
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

defied wrote:What's it take to have a knife made? Any chances, or was that your limited "see how well I can do it" run? 0]

D(B)
Yeah, maybe you should go into production. Wow that looked nice. I DIY myself, but there is no way I could tackle that project.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

H20doctor wrote:Its coming !!! do you think you can handle it ??
No! No! I CAN'T HANDLE IT !!! Ahhhhhhh :axe:
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:As a very proud owner of one of these knives, I am absolutely delighted to show mine off as often as possible (and I do, believe me). The bloody finger picture makes me sad, but I suppose that belongs in the "blood" category....having to create some of the equipment to make these, combined with the heating equipment, probably took care of the "sweat and tears" categories.

It was definitely the coolest gift I could have possibly received, and all for standing in line to get some tanks? Ben, you are beyond generous. It is a lovely piece of craftsmanship that I adore, and I am in awe of the work that was put into its creation.

I love the fact that the developers of the metal are mostly divers, too!
I'll be taking my knife out for several tests this weekend and I just might need to cut some stuff at the safety stop to "test it" (play with it). I've used it several times playing with it around the garage and the thing is still razor sharp - like bald spot on your arm because you're constantly showing it off, sharp.

Ben, these things are amazing. Seriously. They're very VERY cool and will no doubt be causing pools of drool at the Coves. The kydex sheath is really perfect too. The bungie secured it beautifully and the kydex locks it into place with a positive "click." It inspires confidence when you secure it.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Cool. :supz:

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any punctured drysuits, severed hoses, lacerated buoyancy devices, or personal injury. But have fun. :salute:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

where is the Death Light? Now that you've used it you gotta show it.
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

i little info about flashlights . at costco in warrenton there selling maglights that are led 1 with 3d's 3wats and 1 with 2aa's i think they were 29$ very bright blue light
the big one even comes with a spare led
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Roger that, I picked one up. They aren't the highest lumens out there, like the Seoul P7, but they are effective.

i also picked up a maglite (non LED) mini at Harbor freight, and then picke dup a mod package that contained a Luxeon LED. It's pretty awesome, but about half as bright as the P7.

Thanks Bob!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I will start the death light pics and all my hard work in a couple of days.... I need to borrow my girlfriends High speed comcast internet to upload all the pics and type up all the details of " THE DEATH LIGHT " ... Stay tuned DIY
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

why death light? so angry are you? maybe you can can call it mega light or something that shops will wanna sell. Death why death. I know your avatars are always scary and unhappy but htink about a production stand point. Death Light is so negative, think of happy thoughts dude :dontknow:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Maverick wrote:why death light? so angry are you? maybe you can can call it mega light or something that shops will wanna sell. Death why death. I know your avatars are always scary and unhappy but htink about a production stand point. Death Light is so negative, think of happy thoughts dude :dontknow:

Yeah, how about "Destroyer of all that is Dark!"
Or, "Super Mega Robo Light Beam of Doom!!!"

Too much?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Maverick wrote:why death light? so angry are you? maybe you can can call it mega light or something that shops will wanna sell. Death why death. I know your avatars are always scary and unhappy but htink about a production stand point. Death Light is so negative, think of happy thoughts dude :dontknow:
He's desparately trying to kill any idea that Salvo puts out a better light than his. :smt064 Besides, the Cannister on this thing is so big, you could use it for a coffin!! :bootyshake:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes my master told me to use the force and calm my feelings... But yet I am turned to the dark side of divelights... Much anger for the evil galactic Salvo and their Clone forces... I must destroy them all and turn them to my Death Light... You will never know the Power of the death Light !!!! Untill I blind you at 65 Feet in the dark and cold underworld..... And Yes my battery canister is the size of a 80 cubic tank !!! But who cares !!! Its got a 6+ hour burn time. MMMWWAAAAAAA HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I tried to post this a while ago...

While I didn't manufacture all the parts myself, it did take me a while to find the donor reg and fix er'up like so. I'd say I have about 100 dives on it now and she still breaths as well as my TX100.
Attachments
DSC00329.JPG
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sweet! :supz:
-Ben
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Awesome!

What drivers did you use, and do you have sources on where you purchased those, and the drivers?

D(B)