OK Not dive related, Buying a bench lathe

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: OK Not dive related, Buying a bench lathe

Post by Dusty2 »

Well for those that asked to be updated I did it! I ordered my new lathe today. Should be here in about 10 days.

I went through several different models and changed my mind at least a dozen times but here is the one I ordered.
SHOP FOX Gunsmithing Lathe — 12in. x 36in
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200423984
SHOP FOX Gunsmithing Lathe — 12in. x 36in.jpg
Now I have to clean out my shop before it gets here then figure how to get it from the truck into the shop and lift that heavy critter onto it's base. The base cabinet is cast iron not sheet metal and the total package is a mere 1240 lbs! Not exactly portable :naka: :naka:
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Damn! I'm soOo frickin jealous!!! That's one sic unit!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sweet.
The possibilities are endless. :luv:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:Sweet.
The possibilities are endless. :luv:
:thumb3d: :thumb3d: Yep I'm thinkin canister light and maybe some maglite converts and oh yeh I been noodling an underwater magnifying glass for us critter watchers ... and......... :confused: :confused:

Hey Ben, We have to get together some time and exchange shop tours! To bad you live so dam far away.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dusty2 wrote:Hey Ben, We have to get together some time and exchange shop tours! To bad you live so dam far away.
LOL. Lets just tour YOUR shop and go diving! My shop is just an assortment of toy-tools shoved into the perimeter of a 2-car garage. Well, I do have a 6x12 surface grinder, but the rest are just toys. Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the pictures!

I can't wait to see the stuff you turn out with your new monster. I'm just a wanna-be.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Right now I don't have a shop either. Just a whole lot of junk piled about in total chaos. It's a good thing it's going to take some time to get here cause I sure couldn't get it in there right now.

On the other hand I'd love to get in a dive or two anytime. As long as you are tolerant of old and slow critter watchers.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dusty2 wrote:On the other hand I'd love to get in a dive or two anytime. As long as you are tolerant of old and slow critter watchers.
I have never once dived with anyone who was too slow. :highfive:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Got word today that my lathe will ship tomorrow from the Missouri warehouse so probably early next week it will be here. Got to get off my rear and get the shop cleared out! Crunch time!

Anyone out there have access to a precision machinists level???? Hate to have to buy one just for this setup.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I don't have a level, but I am curious how you approach the setup of a lathe. Is it possible to put a twist in that heavy metal?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yes over time it can settle out of line if it isn't properly aligned to start with. Actually the weight is the negative. Doesn't matter how big the machine is. It's own weight will cause it to settle. Remember we are talking in thousandths of an inch here over a 4 foot distance. Of course you have to remember I'm an X toolmaker so being off a hair is the same as a mile!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dusty2 wrote:Anyone out there have access to a precision machinists level???? Hate to have to buy one just for this setup.

Nope. But I do own a few carpenter's levels, and a laser that's accurate to within 1/16th of an inch, within 16'. Probably not within your tollerances; but please let me know if I can help in some way!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks Josh. I have lots of those levels too but they just don't quite make it for this app. A machinist precision level does .0005" in 10 inches. Not something people have just laying around but I had to ask since we have such a wide range of people here.

Now if you have a heavy duty engine hoist just sitting around.... :clap: :clap:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dusty2 wrote:Thanks Josh. I have lots of those levels too but they just don't quite make it for this app. A machinist precision level does .0005" in 10 inches. Not something people have just laying around but I had to ask since we have such a wide range of people here.

Now if you have a heavy duty engine hoist just sitting around.... :clap: :clap:
Lol- yeah, but no. I work with tolerances between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch. I wish I knew more about precision metal fabrication; but I don't.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Well the word from the freight company is that they will deliver the new lathe Thursday afternoon. So for better or worse it's a done deal! But that's just the start of the work. Now I have to get it installed and set up and that is going to be a challenge in itself.

For those that said budget allot for accessories I am well on my way already. I have had to sell lots of older toys to keep up but all is going well so far.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It's here!!!! The freight company delivered it yesterday. Now I have to figure out how to get it moved into the shop and set up. It is one big hunk of iron. :80sdance: :80sdance: :80sdance:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wohoo :clap:

So how long is the line of friends who "need a little help with a project they've been working on" ?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith