First Dive after Certification - what's your log say?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: First Dive after Certification - what's your log say?

Post by WylerBear »

My first dive after OW was a Fish ID specialty dive and boat dive with ......Janna Nichols!
This was the infamous "don't touch me/chicken dance" dive that some of you have heard about.

3/11/02 58' for 22 minutes. Didn't record my gas consumption. Wore 35(!!!!!!!) lbs of weight. 46 degrees. 15-20' viz.

Wrote "Painted greenling, ling cod, striped sea perch, copper rockfish.
Green sea urchin, shiny orange sea squirt, CA sea cuke, sunflower, blood stars, orange sea cuke.
Swift current-Janna held onto me the whole time.
Trouble descending-added more weight."

It was a fun and funny dive which resulted in a couple of good dive stories. From this dive on, I have always recorded all the species I see on a dive to use to record my REEF survey. I'm glad I got into the habit early.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

First dive after certification was with instructors at Sund Rock SWall.
4/19/2009 #3
31 min dive time
61 ft max
53F
loose fin, computer, mask and compass.
Lost Bob at turn around

Dive # 4 was the first dive that my classmates and I tried....What I would truely call my first dive after cert....
Sund rock s wall
5/2/2009
15 min dive
69 ft max
57F
"yo-yo dive due to shallow breathing. Poor poor viz. Like 3-1 ft. Lost buddies."
my profile was...
58 ft at 2 min in
48 ft at 3 min in
69 ft at 5-6 min in
12 ft at 7 min in
69 ft at 9 min in
38 ft at 10 min in
60 ft at 10.5 min in
30 ft at 12 min in
44 ft at 13 min in
and finally made it up at almost 15 min.
Probablly my worst dive.(next to getting caught up in downwelling currents on Pt Defiance N wall.)
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

3/17/03
Richland, Wa (Columbia river)
"Cold! Testing new drysuit (equipment check-out dive). Suit works good, hands frozen!
Surface temp: 32'F. Water temp: ?
Bottom time: ~20min, Al 80.
Start press: 2500psi, end pres: 1600psi
Max depth ~20ffw, viz ~5-10ft.
Need to add 5# weight and secure clasp on bc"
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I went straight from OW into AOW, but my first non-class dive was #10:

Dive No. 10
SeaCrest Cove 2
Time in: 12:51
Max Depth: 77
Time: 35

Added 2 lbs of ankle weight. Good control below 40'. Descent too fast and got vertigo again. Ascent -- lost control about 30', unable to stop. Looked for octopus but didn't find any along boundary line. Fed sea stars the mackerel. Viz was pretty poor.

This log entry doesn't convey any of the fun of the day, or the dive. A lovely, generous woman had responded to my call for experienced divers to go out with (sadly, I have never managed to dive with her again, although we stay somewhat in touch). She brought mackerel with her, and I remember marveling at how she could go almost straight head-down to look under plates and rocks. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and we spent the surface interval laughing and telling stories.

The log is funny, though. I was obsessed with technique, even then . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

eliseaboo wrote:
psundquist wrote:I lost my first dive log book, but from my memory:

Date: Summer 1987
Devils Lake State Park, Baraboo, Wisconsin
Depth: 30'
Bottom time: 40 min
Water temp: 65 degrees
Viz: 15 feet

First scooter dive, my dive buddy and I shared one that we rented from Three Little Devils dive shop. http://3littledevils.com/index.html Didn't see much of anything except silt, mud, boulders, rocks, branches, water grass, crawfishm and a fish or two. We started on the north end of the lake and headed south. Any day diving in the PCNW is better than all of the lakes in Wisconsin, with the exception being Lake Michigan.

Hey, my first dive was there too! I love that lake, the bass are very friendly...I would definitely not scooter it though, as anything worth seeing is going to be a bass or crawfish...3LD, it seems, is going under however. Apparently it's not officially closed, but the shop is never open and they don't answer their phone...sad.
I had only done two scooter dives, both in Devils Lake right after I had been certified. I was focusing on the fun instead of the critters we saw, now with my experience I'd have a different perspective. I liked 3LD, it is unfortunate that they are going out of business. The next time I am diving in Wisconsin it will be back on the wrecks in Lake Michigan - they are well preserved but erie without any life growing on them or around.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Not first but the oldest log entry I could find.

Feb 8 1995
2900/700
10lbs
120' 33min
Waikiki YO 257

cool boat, nothing growing on it, waved at people in sub
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

8/10/1988 (I was 17)
Location Auke Bay Recreation area - Juneau Alaska
Buddy - My Mom
Objective - Catch Crab
Equipment used - my own
31 minutes 40 feet
Vis 5'
Pressure in 3100 out 500
Total BT to date - 9:40
Dave Mitchell