Drysuit gloves

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Drysuit gloves

Post by Nwbrewer »

oregondiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote: You CAN rig this system to maintain the inner seal, but I think most of us doing no-deco dives with this system just take the risk of the suit flood for the comfort of not having to deal with wrist seals.
People intentionally rig their suits to remove/not deal with wrist seals? I knew zip seals didn't have teh inner wrist seal...but I guess I never thought about the fact that people didn't WANT the inner wrist seal. Hmm.....

I had them in for a while, but got tired of reaching into the ring and fighting with them every time I took the suit off. For a NDL type dive, if you have a catastrophic glove failure, just end the dive. You'll be wet and cold, but no worse so than some other failures I've seen. Just ask Mattleycrue.....

If you're going to be doing deco dives where just getting out is not an option, you might consider leaving the wrist seals in place.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

oregondiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote: You CAN rig this system to maintain the inner seal, but I think most of us doing no-deco dives with this system just take the risk of the suit flood for the comfort of not having to deal with wrist seals.
People intentionally rig their suits to remove/not deal with wrist seals? I knew zip seals didn't have teh inner wrist seal...but I guess I never thought about the fact that people didn't WANT the inner wrist seal. Hmm.....
My zip seals have inner wrist seals. I like having the wrist seals, plus the DC ring system. They are not a big deal and I like the extra insurance against getting wet.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

lizard0924 wrote:
oregondiver wrote:
My zip seals have inner wrist seals. I like having the wrist seals, plus the DC ring system. They are not a big deal and I like the extra insurance against getting wet.
I had new wrist seals put on a couple of weeks ago and i decided to put the DC rings on with the cuffs. That lasted for all of two dives before I switched back to no cuffs. Much more comfortable now!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

oregondiver wrote:People intentionally rig their suits to remove/not deal with wrist seals? I knew zip seals didn't have teh inner wrist seal...but I guess I never thought about the fact that people didn't WANT the inner wrist seal. Hmm.....
i had thought about trimming the seals in my cuffs, but then decided against it. i drive at least 2.5 hours to go diving, and if my dry glove develops a leak, you can bet i'm pulling the rings off and using the wet gloves i keep in my kit. i would rather have a wet hand for one dive, than have to scrap an entire day's diving because i trimmed my seals back.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:
oregondiver wrote:People intentionally rig their suits to remove/not deal with wrist seals? I knew zip seals didn't have teh inner wrist seal...but I guess I never thought about the fact that people didn't WANT the inner wrist seal. Hmm.....
i had thought about trimming the seals in my cuffs, but then decided against it. i drive at least 2.5 hours to go diving, and if my dry glove develops a leak, you can bet i'm pulling the rings off and using the wet gloves i keep in my kit. i would rather have a wet hand for one dive, than have to scrap an entire day's diving because i trimmed my seals back.
With the DC gloves you retain your entire wrist seal, Spat. It takes about 30 seconds to remove the rings and go back to standard seals for wet gloves if you want/need to.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

cardiver wrote:With the DC gloves you retain your entire wrist seal, Spat. It takes about 30 seconds to remove the rings and go back to standard seals for wet gloves if you want/need to.
that's true. maybe on my next suit i'll consider that system.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I look at the whole flooded suit thing differently. The worst suit flood I have had yet happened on not only a no-deco dive, but a silly, shallow one . . . at EDMONDS.

Do you know how long it takes to swim it from the far boundary line at Edmonds, especially with a flooded suit? If I hadn't spent the money on a darned good undergarment, I would have ended up in the hospital with hypothermia. I was still good and darned cold by the time I was able to stand up.

You don't have to be on a deco dive to be in serious trouble in the PNW if you are wet. The surface is just the big air tank, but it isn't warm. Shore is warm, and you can be a long way away from that.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

I have the Viking classic ring system. It works well, but next time I'm going to the DC system.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

oregondiver wrote:
.... Si Tech Rubber Glove system......

Pro/con to this system (anyone even know what I am talking about)? I have also seen divers putting their drygloves on with a pvc type tool to stretch the gasket over the cuff (I think, only saw it once and was intrigued).

Any brands I SHOULD be considering? I don't want zipseals, so just looking for drygloves that pop on and off between dives.

THanks!
you probably saw me putting my classic vikings on with my homemade glove stretching tools.

I now own the si tech quick glove system and so far i love how easy it is but its not near as idiot proof as the classic system. I literally had fuzz sticking out from the gloves seal (on the viking classic) and the dern things never leaked. changing gloves out is easy as pulling another glove out of the dry bucket on the classic viking dry gloves and si tech quick gloves.

Down fall to the viking classics is how dang hard it is to put these gloves on. Before i built the loader, i had to pester my dive buddies to help me or somehow struggle with getting it on by myself. The gloves can be hard to find, and putting something between the wrist seals so air can get between the wrist seals and help fight the cold can be a slightly aggravating process.

there are pros and cons to everything....but i personally like both systems...but the classic's are more forgiving. Where as the si tech quick glove is easier to don. Just my 2 psi
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Thanks for all the awesome info! I will be checking out the gloves at the Dive expo on the 23rd and hopefully make a purchase for gloves. My LDS's will be there too so might order the drysuit then too!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924