AP journalist dives into Gulf, can see only oil

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Re: AP journalist dives into Gulf, can see only oil

Post by Jaksonbrown »

spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
ktb wrote:
spatman wrote:
ktb wrote:Associated Press journalist Rich Matthews is certified with the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. He has been recreationally diving for about 10 years and has about 50 dives under his belt to depths of 120 feet.

I don't get it.
see bolded text above.
#-o

Ok, so the funny thing is, I've heard so many of the WRONG things PADI stood for that I guess I never learned the real thing. I kid you not.

So what does the fact that this moron, who happened to be certified by PADI, have anything whatsoever to do with the PADI organization ??

Pigeon holeing PADI for this idiots actions is like blaming Boeing for 911.

huh? where do you get that from?

Its just sad that people are associating this guys actions with the PADI organization, like the two are related in anyway.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
ktb wrote:
spatman wrote:
ktb wrote:Associated Press journalist Rich Matthews is certified with the Professional Association of Diving Instructors. He has been recreationally diving for about 10 years and has about 50 dives under his belt to depths of 120 feet.

I don't get it.
see bolded text above.
#-o

Ok, so the funny thing is, I've heard so many of the WRONG things PADI stood for that I guess I never learned the real thing. I kid you not.

So what does the fact that this moron, who happened to be certified by PADI, have anything whatsoever to do with the PADI organization ??

Its just sad that people are associating this guys actions with the PADI organization, like the two are related in anyway.
Um, dude, you read the whole thread before posting, right?
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
ktb wrote:
spatman wrote:

I don't get it.
see bolded text above.
#-o

and kelly and i say this where, exactly?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Hmmm.. I just re read the entire thread and I can't seem to find anything resembling "PADI bashing"............
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

cardiver wrote:Hmmm.. I just re read the entire thread and I can't seem to find anything resembling "PADI bashing"............
Ok, ok....I'll take responsibility....I did reinforce the PAY PADI joke....mea culpa, mea culpa.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Dude. I would have blasted an organization that made someone an instructor with only 50 dives under their belt, which is what I thought they were saying. But knowing the guy's got an OW cert through PADI is perfectly acceptable.

Chill.
Kelly
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

It was not my attempt to bash anyone in this forum in particular... I was simply stating that it was sad to see the press label this guy as a "PADI Instructor"... when he is obviously under qualified and ignorant. Its a bad correlation and brings bad press to PADI just like it caused everyone in this thread to end up talking about PADI instead of the real issue of this guy being an idiot reporter...
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

selkie wrote:
spatman wrote:
ktb wrote:Sick and wrong.

SIDENOTE:
Um . . . so how does one dive for 10 years and become an instructor with only 50 dives under their belt?

where does it say he's an instructor?
It just says he is a PADI diver with 50 dives in ten years. So maybe he does think it is an oxygen tank.
Sorry Cory,

I may have made a joke at PADI's expense. 50 dives in ten years speaks much more to this journalist diving qualifications and experience then being a PADI diver does.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jaksonbrown wrote:It was not my attempt to bash anyone in this forum in particular... I was simply stating that it was sad to see the press label this guy as a "PADI Instructor"... when he is obviously under qualified and ignorant. Its a bad correlation and brings bad press to PADI just like it caused everyone in this thread to end up talking about PADI instead of the real issue of this guy being an idiot reporter...
you might want to check facts before you start an argument. nowhere does it say that this guy is an instructor.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Jaksonbrown wrote:It was not my attempt to bash anyone in this forum in particular... I was simply stating that it was sad to see the press label this guy as a "PADI Instructor"... when he is obviously under qualified and ignorant. Its a bad correlation and brings bad press to PADI just like it caused everyone in this thread to end up talking about PADI instead of the real issue of this guy being an idiot reporter...
Nah....we all ended up talking about PADI because we're like cats. With shiny objects. We are easily distracted.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Ok, see? You thought the same thing I did. If you re-read it carefully (it took a couple of times for me) they only say he's certifed through PADI--using the full name, not initials.

And you are right on the fact that the guy's underqualified, but he's probaly the only person they could find who was a diver and a journalist. Maybe I should dust off that college degree . . . :rofl:
Kelly
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

lizard0924 wrote:
Nah....we all ended up talking about PADI because we're like cats. With shiny objects. We are easily distracted.
SQUIRREL!!
Kelly
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

ktb wrote:
lizard0924 wrote:
SQUIRREL!!
I do not like the cone of shame!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

scottsax wrote:
ktb wrote:
lizard0924 wrote:
SQUIRREL!!
I do not like the cone of shame!
Yeah, those devil eyes have been freaking me out since you changed avatars.
Kelly
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

spatman wrote:
you might want to check facts before you start an argument. nowhere does it say that this guy is an instructor.

The only person arguing here is you spat... get off my back already. Your a moderator not an attack dog..

I was just upset at the correlation between a great association and an idiot reporter being linked together... and I did miss read the instructor part.... :questionmarks:

Its just bad press....by another attention grabbing paper pusher.....imagine that...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:

The only person arguing here is you spat... get off my back already. Your a moderator not an attack dog..

I was just upset at the correlation between a great association and an idiot reporter being linked together... and I did miss read the instructor part.... :questionmarks:

you quoted me and kelly with an aggressive tone, and i'm the one picking a fight? i was merely asking you to clarify what it was that i or kelly had said that made you feel entitled to post that.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Jaksonbrown wrote:The only person arguing here is you spat... get off my back already. Your a moderator not an attack dog...
Uhhhh . . . I think the only person attacking anything here was you. Seriously dude. Chill.
Kelly
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:

Its just bad press....by another attention grabbing paper pusher.....imagine that...
Ah....I can see my attempts at humor have done nothing to diffuse certain short fuses. Oh well....a girl can only do so much. Carry on, then.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:

you quoted me and kelly with an aggressive tone, and i'm the one picking a fight? i was merely asking you to clarify what it was that i or kelly had said that made you feel entitled to post that.

Didnt this cover it???

"It was not my attempt to bash anyone in this forum in particular... I was simply stating that it was sad to see the press label this guy as a "PADI Instructor"... when he is obviously under qualified and ignorant. Its a bad correlation and brings bad press to PADI just like it caused everyone in this thread to end up talking about PADI instead of the real issue of this guy being an idiot reporter..."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:
spatman wrote:

Didnt this cover it???

"It was not my attempt to bash anyone in this forum in particular... I was simply stating that it was sad to see the press label this guy as a "PADI Instructor"... when he is obviously under qualified and ignorant. Its a bad correlation and brings bad press to PADI just like it caused everyone in this thread to end up talking about PADI instead of the real issue of this guy being an idiot reporter..."
taking this to PM.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Take a chill lozenge, people. :police:

BTW, I think that the primary factor leading to the confusion about whether or not the diver is an instructor is what PADI actually stands for - so you can blame whoever chose "Instructors" to be in the name of that organization. And, please, no agency bashing or dissing the Mod(s) or each other.

Happy Friday!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Go to your corners, everyone. I'm not sure why everything is turning into a pissing match lately, but I'm starting to notice a common theme.

This site is supposed to be a friendly place. Generally speaking, there's no real reason to go immediately to DEFCON 5 at the drop of a hat. And yet, it keeps happening. I, for one, am getting tired of it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

Competing in an internet argument is like competing in the Special Olympics.

You may win, but you're still retarded....

:smt064
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Did I miss something in the video or did the "journalist" roll off the boat with his regulator missing from his mouth?

If so, kind of hard to build credibility as a diver pulling stunts like that.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:Go to your corners, everyone. I'm not sure why everything is turning into a pissing match lately, but I'm starting to notice a common theme.

This site is supposed to be a friendly place. Generally speaking, there's no real reason to go immediately to DEFCON 5 at the drop of a hat. And yet, it keeps happening. I, for one, am getting tired of it.

In the interests of keeping thing real while adding, I hope, a bit of humor: Defcon 5 is peace, utterly calm, everyone getting along peace. Lions lying down with the lambs kind of thing. :angelblue:
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.