Why AOW

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

For me the AOW was more about doing 5 Adventure Dives, learning a few tips for a Night, Deep(100') and some Navigation Skills.
It was the 5 dives that I feel I was paying for , not the class.

Greatfull Divers Gas Management class was more in formative than most of my AOW class.

My goal this summer is to take the Rescue Diver Class. Not for the Card or the Title or even the "Master Diver" Card.

I feel it would make me a safer diver(Self Rescue) and would be a benifit to the Buddies I dive with, if I could help them in a situation.

I agree with everyone who says "It's not the Card or the Title that makes you a better or more experienced diver."

It's getting wet often and learning from both my own mistakes and others that makes me a better or more experienced diver.

And thanks to many of the insights to other divers right here on the board, I have learned so much above the water too.

Thank's NWDC! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I had almost 30 dives before I did my AOW this Fall, and I did quite a bit of research before choosing a class to take. I knew the skills I wanted to take away from the class, and I sought out instruction that would help me develop those skills. (I'm still working on most of them.)

Before I took the class I had been diving with some very good divers, and I had read a lot of accidents and incidents type reports, as well as spent a lot of time surfing around Scubaboard and other places. This along with a reasonable fear of going OOA and getting bent I'm sure served to keep me out of too much trouble between my OW and AOW.

I had read some about gas planning and RB (Thanks Lamont!), but I didn't really have the tools to start applying these concepts and certainly didn't have enough knowledge to put them into actual practice until I took my AOW with Bdub.

I'm certain that taking AOW with an instructor who is interested in producing safe prepared divers is well worth the time and money.

Jake
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

well said, Jake =D>
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Yup, at least until you piss BDUB off and then it'll get alot harder. ;)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

runamonk wrote:Yup, at least until you piss BDUB off and then it'll get alot harder. ;)
LOL...Yeah, cause everyone knows that's so easy to do!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

This is true, I have yet to see you throw a fit. I mean we've all seen Jeanna tear some ass but you're not as easy to get going as her hee hee. :D
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

runamonk wrote:This is true, I have yet to see you throw a fit. I mean we've all seen Jeanna tear some ass but you're not as easy to get going as her hee hee. :D
lol. good one! ;-)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets