Now I know why no one Freedives here

General banter about diving and why we love it.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Re: Now I know why no one Freedives here

Post by 4ster »

Any attempt by me to put something on paper would look like a 2 year old with crayons. It would be best if someone with graphic arts talent would put something together.

It would be nice to merge efforts with WSA if they are interested in this kind of approach. In my mind this is best as a people to people effort, gentile face to face education. I don't think a new law or donations for a well funded program will be any more effective than what's already in place. Minimal fundraising for the materials could be done here.

Some elements that I think are important:
- It should be friendly
- It should mention that there have been some recent close calls
- It should have examples of a dive flag, alpha flag and an SMB
- It should say something about divers behaving responsibly too
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Instead of getting a booth at the boat show, how about distributing material from another booth, such as Coast Guard Auxillary, Power Squadron, or one of the dive shop booths? All of these have an interest in boating safety.
Happy to be alive.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

lamont wrote:There's at least a chance they've listened to Van Halen before and could identify a red+white dive flag
Huh?.... VanHalen sang about a dive flag?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I'd be willing to work the Olympia area yacht clubs, boat stores and marinas. I'm sure I could recruit some others. Great ideas folks...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
lamont wrote:There's at least a chance they've listened to Van Halen before and could identify a red+white dive flag
dude. diver down.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

spatman wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:
dude. diver down.
.....I have that vinyl record.....and the only reason why I bought it was the cover....It doesn't really match the rest of my vinyl collection.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Waynne Fowler wrote:I'd be willing to work the Olympia area yacht clubs, boat stores and marinas. I'm sure I could recruit some others. Great ideas folks...
I presented a short session on dive flags at my yacht club. They were all aware of the red and white flag but very few Knew of the alpha flag which is the only one specified by the rules of the road. I would be glad to talk to the YC's in the Everett area.
Happy to be alive.