Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Post by Sounder »

I agree with Bob - that is pretty insulting for someone (I'll go out on a limb here) at least the MAJORITY of people on this board (including the moderators) believe is doing good things for people. I also believe the MAJORITY of people here, regardless of "philosophical affiliation," believe gas management as it is publicly and freely taught by Bob, Brian, and Scott is a means of increasing one's safety.

I also think the person who pulled the warhammer maneuver in the pool last time, who argued incessantly about an approach which the MAJORITY of people seemed not to agree with, has a lot of people unwilling to enter into another retarded argument in hopes the previous warhammer may have finally flushed out allowing better vis to return.

Pretty sad if you ask me.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

[Note: I choose to say "nevermind" to my prior comments posted here.]

Soooo... how bout them Dawgs??? :supz: Showed those Cornhuskers a thing or two! Woo-hoo!! :supz:
And when are we going to have one of those dive n' pizza nights?? Sounder???
Last edited by Diver_C on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:LOUD NOISES!, I DONT KNOW WHAT WE ARE YELLING ABOUT!
People are getting yelled at for suggesting that maybe doing deep dives on small tanks ain't a smart move, Curtis. Apparently, we're not supposed to talk about gas management on this board anymore.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Its a movie reference from "anchorman", we have so many of these discussions i could probably tell you whats gonna happen next...just gets old.

It's like religion, same thing over and over. But i do agree about some sort of gas management....knowledge is power...whether you use it or not is up to you.

Oh and i could do a "bounce" (drop straight to 100 and come back up normal accent) dive on an 80cf cylinder to 100ft with at least 35cf (1300 psi) easily left in my tank when surfaced. Not impossible for us girly breathers.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Diver_C wrote:For the most part, the red flag issue, gas management, seemed to be discussed in a civilized manner, until your post Matt, then, well, I don't know... Meh, I understand what you were thinking, but the hammer-tone seemed harsh. That's all.

you guys are missing the point within my sarcasm, it seems. to be clear:

there is nothing wrong with discussing gas management.

the horse that has been beaten to death is the back and forth about whose methodology is best. "scuba police", "your gonna die" etc is what prompted my post. that type of discussion we, and the new readers, can do without.

so please, discuss away. be civil and respect each other's views, if it is at all possible. otherwise we're going down the same rabbit hole, over and over.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Oh, nooooooo!
Attachments
WDCC-ALICE-DOWN-THE-RABBITHOLE-I.jpg
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

cardiver wrote:Oh, nooooooo!
:supz: HA!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So does referring to "your going to die" or the "scuba police" count as inflammatory? Anyone who has been around for a while knows this is a comment directed at one particular "philosophical affiliation," and the comments were unprovoked and unnecessary. If the reverse were true, and someone of this "philosophical affiliation" were to hypothetically have called the poster, for example, "a stroke," it would most certainly have been deemed as much. Moreover, those who commented in the thread prior to the inflammatory comments are outwardly NOT affiliated with the "philosophical affiliation" the comments were a direct attack on. It seems the poster of the comments was just trying to cause a moderator PITA with random acts of general douchebaggery. Unfortunately, meanwhile nobody is willing to pass along what many consider important safety information because they just don't want to deal with another stupid argument.

In other news... Matt said "hole." :bye:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sounder wrote:In other news... Matt said "hole." :bye:
Heh-heh-heh he did say "hole"

P.S. I'm so glad I missed that previous discussion. Image
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay, okay, maybe using the words "Getting stupid on an aluminum 80" was a bad choice of words. But I was just thinking out loud, I hope I didn't offend anyone. If i did, you can do this :wedgie: to me.
But please don't do this :penelope:
Okay, so I think I may have just use all of the Smilies at least one time! But I'm not 100 % sure. :neener:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote: So does referring to "your going to die" or the "scuba police" count as inflammatory? Anyone who has been around for a while knows this is a comment directed at one particular "philosophical affiliation," and the comments were unprovoked and unnecessary.
The saddest part is that except for yourself, none of the people involved up to that point even subscribe to the dreaded "philosophical affiliation" ... if you know these divers, they're about as varied a group as you can find on this board.

I really don't understand people who have to jump into these conversations, make inflammatory comments, and then moan about "rabbit holes" that they helped to create. Why don't we just make a big list of things that we shouldn't talk about, so everybody knows what topics to stay away from?

About the only thing I feel safe cramming down people's throats anymore is pictures ... and I'm just waiting for somebody to jump on my ass about those ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I don't think it was the people who give the gas management seminars that were being referred to. Bob et al have never (in my opinion) tried to force their seminars on anyone.

I think the comment was directed at the rest of us who jump up and comment on gas planning when someone mentions doing a dive that is not something we'd do, and start proselytizing vehemently about the gas management seminars.

I get hammered on when i mention doing an easy dive on doubles "this is what is wrong with blah blah blah, encouraging people to dive doubles where a single tank would be fine, and blah blah blah, we just dove that dive on a single last week!" ... or driving the proverbial ferrari to the corner store (AKA 'breather at the junkyard or somethin').

Seriously... hard to win here on this board ;) So OP, please just ignore all this for the most part... singles or doubles, 80 or 100, air or mix, OC or CCR.... no matter what we bring up there is always someone who won't agree and a bunch of people who will be happy to throw in their $.25.

To the rest of us... how about a new years resolution... show a bit more tolerance and don't assume the worst.

and yes, of course gas planning is a good thing. :P
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Sounder wrote: So does referring to "your going to die" or the "scuba police" count as inflammatory? Anyone who has been around for a while knows this is a comment directed at one particular "philosophical affiliation," and the comments were unprovoked and unnecessary.

The saddest part is that except for yourself, none of the people involved up to that point even subscribe to the dreaded "philosophical affiliation" ... if you know these divers, they're about as varied a group as you can find on this board.

I really don't understand people who have to jump into these conversations, make inflammatory comments, and then moan about "rabbit holes" that they helped to create. Why don't we just make a big list of things that we shouldn't talk about, so everybody knows what topics to stay away from?

About the only thing I feel safe cramming down people's throats anymore is pictures ... and I'm just waiting for somebody to jump on my ass about those ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This is exactly what I pointed out too, and fwiw, I hadn't responded at all before the comments were made...
Moreover, those who commented in the thread prior to the inflammatory comments are outwardly NOT affiliated with the "philosophical affiliation" the comments were a direct attack on. It seems the poster of the comments was just trying to cause a moderator PITA with random acts of general douchebaggery.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Argh. Bob, I'm sorry. I had no intent to insult you, but I totally get how bad my comment looked.

What I was trying to express was my frustration with the fact that I don't like people getting all bent out of shape over the op planning to do a 100' dive on an al80.

Gas management is great, and your seminars are a wonderful resource that I would recommend to any new diver.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

ljjames wrote:... how about a new years resolution... show a bit more tolerance and don't assume the worst.
Well put Laura! I'll jump at that!
But at the same time we will still get the :smt064 :hah: :bootyshake: :evil4: :lalala: :iamwithstupid: :neener: :neener: :rofl: :taco: :popcorn: :smt064 :partyman: :tomnic: :rawlings: :stir: :koolaid: :laughing3: :nutty: :stir: \:D/
Confused with the
:angry: :eek: :chrisnjoe: :violent1: :ballandchain: :crybaby: :banplz: :banghead: :angryblue: :stick: :boxing: :computersmash: :confused: :smt119 :smt065 :offtopic: :police: :pale: :shootself: :slap: :tappingfoot: :pills: [-X :uh: :brute:

When in reality, it's just as you say, a few, putting in their own .02

:lurk: :grouphug: :thumb3d:

I will try to be a better, more sensitive and self governing poster in 2011. To know when I'm pushing the edge and will try to recognize, when I should not put my .02 in, if it may start a ...
:angry: or :crybaby: :slap: :nervous: :pale: :police: [-X .

As a new member, I have asked about a few of the ...
:pale: [-X :timeout: :questionmarks: :dontknow: #-o

When in all honesty, I was just asking for :help:

Good thing we have the moderators. :supz: :angelblue: :rawlings: :pirate: :smt051 :notworthy:

Man, I can't wait, to get back to diving, this can drive a person :nutty:

And yet I still, did not use every Smiley!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

BASSMAN wrote:
ljjames wrote:... how about a new years resolution... show a bit more tolerance and don't assume the worst.
Well put Laura! I'll jump at that!
But at the same time we will still get the :smt064 :hah: :bootyshake: :evil4: :lalala: :iamwithstupid: :neener: :neener: :rofl: :taco: :popcorn: :smt064 :partyman: :tomnic: :rawlings: :stir: :koolaid: :laughing3: :nutty: :stir: \:D/
Confused with the
:angry: :eek: :chrisnjoe: :violent1: :ballandchain: :crybaby: :banplz: :banghead: :angryblue: :stick: :boxing: :computersmash: :confused: :smt119 :smt065 :offtopic: :police: :pale: :shootself: :slap: :tappingfoot: :pills: [-X :uh: :brute:

When in reality, it's just as you say, a few, putting in their own .02

:lurk: :grouphug: :thumb3d:

I will try to be a better, more sensitive and self governing poster in 2011. To know when I'm pushing the edge and will try to recognize, when I should not put my .02 in, if it may start a ...
:angry: or :crybaby: :slap: :nervous: :pale: :police: [-X .

As a new member, I have asked about a few of the ...
:pale: [-X :timeout: :questionmarks: :dontknow: #-o

When in all honesty, I was just asking for :help:

Good thing we have the moderators. :supz: :angelblue: :rawlings: :pirate: :smt051 :notworthy:

Man, I can't wait, to get back to diving, this can drive a person :nutty:

And yet I still, did not use every Smiley!
Which one did you miss? :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Tacoma Equipment Dive on Saturday

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great post!
ljjames wrote:I don't think it was the people who give the gas management seminars that were being referred to. Bob et al have never (in my opinion) tried to force their seminars on anyone.

I think the comment was directed at the rest of us who jump up and comment on gas planning when someone mentions doing a dive that is not something we'd do, and start proselytizing vehemently about the gas management seminars.

I get hammered on when i mention doing an easy dive on doubles "this is what is wrong with blah blah blah, encouraging people to dive doubles where a single tank would be fine, and blah blah blah, we just dove that dive on a single last week!" ... or driving the proverbial ferrari to the corner store (AKA 'breather at the junkyard or somethin').

Seriously... hard to win here on this board ;) So OP, please just ignore all this for the most part... singles or doubles, 80 or 100, air or mix, OC or CCR.... no matter what we bring up there is always someone who won't agree and a bunch of people who will be happy to throw in their $.25.

To the rest of us... how about a new years resolution... show a bit more tolerance and don't assume the worst.

Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Joshua Smith wrote:Argh. Bob, I'm sorry. I had no intent to insult you, but I totally get how bad my comment looked.

What I was trying to express was my frustration with the fact that I don't like people getting all bent out of shape over the op planning to do a 100' dive on an al80.

Gas management is great, and your seminars are a wonderful resource that I would recommend to any new diver.
I try to approach diving with the attitude that everyone's an adult (well ... most everyone), and therefore free to make their own choices. I prefer if people make informed choices ... and I think most folks prefer people to make choices that fall within what most prudent divers would consider good practices.

That leaves a hell of a lot of latitude for diving style choices and personal preferences. I think it's natural for people to think that because they wouldn't do something, others shouldn't either ... and that's where we start down the rabbit hole. There's a difference between jumping into something feet first without thinking about the consequences vs making the same decision after having considered the pros and cons and deciding that it falls within your acceptable risk limit.

But I also think that most people are well-intentioned when they caution others about what not to do. As an example, at our dive club's Christmas party a couple weeks back, I was floored by how many people expressed concern to me about my 170+ foot solo dive up in Nootka Sound. I could've chosen to take it badly, and tell them that I know what I'm doing and that they shouldn't try to tell me how to dive. But yanno what? Those people care about me ... they had good intentions ... they don't want to see me end up hurt or dead. So I chose to take it that way.

I think the same goes for the people who expressed concern in this case. I don't think they were trying to be "scuba police" at all ... I think they were trying to be helpful.

Bottom line is that the amount of "friendliness" we see in these discussions really boils down to the intent we perceive on the part of the participants. I'd like to see us get back to a place we used to be at ... where we all considered each other friends, and gave each other the benefit of the doubt.

That seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I read the OP's post, and it was very easy to reserve comment. As someone has mentioned, an "Equipment" dive could very well be a relatively short dive in which case 77.4 cubes might be plenty of gas. Someone else can do the math.

At any rate, the rules are merely guidelines. Most of you have bent or even shattered many of the SCUBA rules that you so adamantly subscribe to or teach, whether planned or not.

That being said, I'd now like to comment on the comments but the only thing to really say is that I think Laura is right, Josh was misunderstood, and Bob said it best,
Bob wrote:I'd like to see us get back to a place we used to be at ... where we all considered each other friends, and gave each other the benefit of the doubt.

That seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way ...
I remember when Opinions were lessons, not law.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Bob I meant no harm in my simple post, I just dislike all the arguments we have here when a simple modest post would do. But hey I guess that wouldn't be fun huh?

I definitely agree on diver education, and if a "jedi" believes in something other than the "force" then perhaps....well you think for yourself.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

"dont dive deeper than the cubic feet of your tank" is just a rule of thumb. it also has nothing to do with any "political affiliation" and i think i learned that one first from bob, not from any course.

i've been on dives where that rule was broken (fairly recently) but was mitigated by the short time spent at depth and the copious amounts of gas attached to other divers who knew how to donate.

a dive where everyone has Al80s, down to 100 feet, running out the rock bottom on those tanks down to 1300 psi with a bunch of of relatively inexperienced divers (<= 100 dives) and using EAN32 and good SAC rates to extend the dive time to 25+ minutes at depth while under a soft overhead like the Cove 2 ferry lane is probably not a good idea though.

without knowing where the OPs dive falls within those two extremes... *shrug*.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

lamont wrote:"dont dive deeper than the cubic feet of your tank" is just a rule of thumb. it also has nothing to do with any "political affiliation" and i think i learned that one first from bob, not from any course.

i've been on dives where that rule was broken (fairly recently) but was mitigated by the short time spent at depth and the copious amounts of gas attached to other divers who knew how to donate.

a dive where everyone has Al80s, down to 100 feet, running out the rock bottom on those tanks down to 1300 psi with a bunch of of relatively inexperienced divers (<= 100 dives) and using EAN32 and good SAC rates to extend the dive time to 25+ minutes at depth while under a soft overhead like the Cove 2 ferry lane is probably not a good idea though.

without knowing where the OPs dive falls within those two extremes... *shrug*.
exactly...diving is science but even then, there is so many factors that mix into the equation (than just the math). So being open and understanding rather than set in one way makes for a better tomorrow for all not just divers.

The one i thoroughly enjoy is language, translations lost to a deaf or ignorant ear or in my case when portraying the topic fully and effectively. Not enough detail that is left to assumptions can be used here. This topic hits home base for me, i believe people need to be more understanding and less barbaric one set minded monkey's.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

There is nothing wrong with diving an 80 with 32 percent, makes an awesome sling bottle, although I would sling another 40 also just in case.

Kirby :supz:
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Nothing wrong with Bob's (or Bdub's) gas management course either. Been to one. No sore throat. The more information you have the more likely you will notice a shift in "the force".
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Last edited by Mongo on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote: I was floored by how many people expressed concern to me about my 170+ foot solo dive up in Nootka Sound. I could've chosen to take it badly, and tell them that I know what I'm doing and that they shouldn't try to tell me how to dive. But yanno what? Those people care about me ... they had good intentions ... they don't want to see me end up hurt or dead. So I chose to take it that way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ooo, Ooo, I just can't let this go by without saying how wonderfully awesome this statement is! :notworthy:

Appreciate this tons!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman