Hellew!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Kill. Me.

Post by Emilyrc »

Back from the store. Two huge bottles of Hydrocortisone and some benadryl. Lets hope this works!

I wasn't wearing anything but my bathing suit under it. I get uncomfortably hot if I'm in ANYTHING over 55 or 60 degrees and can get unpleasantly sick, so I stuck with... Nothing.

Under where my bathing suit was is fine. Perfectly normal. You can even see the suspender lines on my back where my bathing suit wasn't.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Kill. Me.

Post by Nwbrewer »

Emilyrc wrote:Back from the store. Two huge bottles of Hydrocortisone and some benadryl. Lets hope this works!

I wasn't wearing anything but my bathing suit under it. I get uncomfortably hot if I'm in ANYTHING over 55 or 60 degrees and can get unpleasantly sick, so I stuck with... Nothing.

Under where my bathing suit was is fine. Perfectly normal. You can even see the suspender lines on my back where my bathing suit wasn't.

Wow, that's weird. Neoprene or shell suit?

Try wearing some under armor or other thin Lycra if you're worried about getting too hot in the pool. In OW you'll want something heavier for sure. On the other hand if I had that kind of reaction I'd probably go in search of a different material, it sounds like you're allergic to something in that suit!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Re: Hellew!

Post by Emilyrc »

It was a shell. it wasn't the glue, either, it's literally all over. Like a huge swollen sunburn.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Emilyrc wrote:It was a shell. it wasn't the glue, either, it's literally all over. Like a huge swollen sunburn.
is it possible that the interior of the suit was washed with a cleaner that you are reacting to?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Emilyrc wrote:It was a shell. it wasn't the glue, either, it's literally all over. Like a huge swollen sunburn.
It may not have been the glue used to put the suit together, but the inside of the suite is impregnated with urethane. It may be something in the urethane that your alergic too. Spatman's idea is good too.

See if they have a neoprene suit you can try.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

I will call today. I needed a different one anyway, it was too big. WOW this hurts.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Of course you do not wear a swim suit only normally under your dry suit. As has been mentioned, once this gets settled down make sure you at least have poly pro long johns so your skin Ian't contacting the inside of the suit.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Urethane is known to be an irritant and I would think that would be to culprit. I would not wear any drysuit without at least a skin suit especially a rental one. It could also be the cleaners or anti fungal agents used. Skin suits don't add much thermal mass and shouldn't be much of a problem. You can wear panty hose to protect your lower half and just a thin pullover Lycra or spandex blouse or exercise top. It definitely sounds like an allergic reaction but since the seal areas are not affected it's not to latex. If you didn't react to a wetsuit I would go to a neoprene drysuit.

Don't let this minor setback keep you out of the water. As one who suffers from depression I can tell you that diving is the best thing I ever did. and zoloft doesn't seem to have any affect diving in any way for me at least. There is just no way to explain to a non diver the effects of a long relaxing dive. I always feel so much better after a dive. Keep at it. It is soooooo worth it.

Since you are a fish person, check out my website and take a look at what you have been missing. http://www.underthesound.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Costco has some thin non cotton stuff that looks and feels just like the more expensive under armor.
about $20.00 for each piece (Top and bottom) when dry suits are cleaned they are sometimes dipped in a anti fungal(sp?) cleaner and then left to air dry. could be that stuff your skin is reacting to.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

I love you guys already!

Post by Emilyrc »

:supz:

I figured it was the urethane, but possibly a cleaner. I can't touch many cleaners/harsh chemicals without breaking out in some fashion. I asked Ron up at ADU, and he hadn't seen anything like it before, but didn't have any suggestions. It was mostly from my shins to my waist yesterday, and only itched. Today it's still a little itchy, but no worse than a million mosquito bites in a small area about half the size of yesterday.

Anywho, I am now an Open Water Diver! Saturday (Mukilteo) on dive 1 and 2, we didn't see much but some sea stars, a couple rockfish, and some mating crabs :sign10: . My partner poked them and I got on her about it when got back up.

Dives 3 and 4 at Seacrest cove 2 went okay, my BCD inflator kept getting stuck in the D-ring, and then it would stick and continue to inflate.. I couldn't deflate it faster than it inflated, so I went straight up from 60'. And a mask that kept flooding after the mask removal skill. Operator error on that one. Couldn't get it situated right after that. Aside from THAT mess, we saw a bunch of nudibranchs (white lined/tipped possibly, but I could have been mistaken) sunstars, more jellyfish than I have ever seen, and some fish I saw from the top with yellow pectoral fins, couldn't identify anything else.

Well, I love it, even though I had some equipment malfunction, and a too-big drysuit. I just need to learn to RELAX, and figure out a better way to put fins on... I think I'm stuck on it. Sooo.. Who wants to go to Keystone and dive with a brand-newbie this coming weekend?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CONGRATULATIONS Emily! Way to stick through the hard stuff and get it done!

:bounceline:

Now it's a matter of having fun, diving with good buddies, seeing more cool stuff, getting comfortable in the water, getting confortable with your gear, and oh, did I mention HAVING FUN?!?

Congrats again, and no worries on the mistakes - it all gets better as we go along.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Emilyrc wrote:.... And Bacon.
:supz:
tb.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Oh, and welcome!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: I love you guys already!

Post by Blaiz »

Emilyrc wrote::supz:

I figured it was the urethane, but possibly a cleaner. I can't touch many cleaners/harsh chemicals without breaking out in some fashion. I asked Ron up at ADU, and he hadn't seen anything like it before, but didn't have any suggestions. It was mostly from my shins to my waist yesterday, and only itched. Today it's still a little itchy, but no worse than a million mosquito bites in a small area about half the size of yesterday.

Anywho, I am now an Open Water Diver! Saturday (Mukilteo) on dive 1 and 2, we didn't see much but some sea stars, a couple rockfish, and some mating crabs :sign10: . My partner poked them and I got on her about it when got back up.

Dives 3 and 4 at Seacrest cove 2 went okay, my BCD inflator kept getting stuck in the D-ring, and then it would stick and continue to inflate.. I couldn't deflate it faster than it inflated, so I went straight up from 60'. And a mask that kept flooding after the mask removal skill. Operator error on that one. Couldn't get it situated right after that. Aside from THAT mess, we saw a bunch of nudibranchs (white lined/tipped possibly, but I could have been mistaken) sunstars, more jellyfish than I have ever seen, and some fish I saw from the top with yellow pectoral fins, couldn't identify anything else.

Well, I love it, even though I had some equipment malfunction, and a too-big drysuit. I just need to learn to RELAX, and figure out a better way to put fins on... I think I'm stuck on it. Sooo.. Who wants to go to Keystone and dive with a brand-newbie this coming weekend?
Keystone you say? I think that's a GREAT place to hang out! (I am busy the next few weekends though...) I'd love to show you around some time!

And congrats on your OW!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic wrote:CONGRATULATIONS Emily! Way to stick through the hard stuff and get it done!

:bounceline:

Now it's a matter of having fun, diving with good buddies, seeing more cool stuff, getting comfortable in the water, getting confortable with your gear, and oh, did I mention HAVING FUN?!?

Congrats again, and no worries on the mistakes - it all gets better as we go along.

Ditto!
:bounceline: :clap:
Way to go!

Welcome to the addiction!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: