Chartplotter/Fishfinder combos

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
boydski
Submariner

Re: Chartplotter/Fishfinder combos

Post by boydski »

pensacoladiver wrote:There are many mixed feelings about whether the Navionics are worth the price and many, including me feel that Insight is plenty good enough. If you do decide to spring for the Navionics, let me know how they work.
Hi Chad,

How is Pensacola treating you?

I run both Navionics and Insight side-by-side on my two chartplotters (HDS-10 & HDS-7), so thought I would pass along my observations.

Navionics

Matches the look of paper charts (easier on old farts like me)
Much more depth detail.
Loads significantly faster.
Tides & Currents easier to use.
Marina Data, etc. sometimes valuable.

Insight Maps

Less detail than Navionics
False depth readings displayed at certain ranges (see note below)
Slower to load
Adjustable shading is very nice.

Notes:

Insight works very well for general navigation, and you generally can't beat the price. I usually run this on my 10" display.
I frequently see it display false depth data at moderate (0.2 mile) ranges. For example, last week while cruising up Colvos Passage, Insight was showing 48 foot depth readings mid-channel (actual depth was 348, so it was dropping the "3"). When you zoom in the display, the depths do begin to display correctly. At the same moderate ranges, I also notice that Insight will sometimes display little or no depth info other than shading.

I don't know that the Navionics charts are worth the extra $$, but for local boaters/divers, if you decide to upgrade to a Navionics Chart Card, I would advise you to purchase the British Columbia chart. I covers all of Puget Sound and Vancouver Island. If you buy the US West Coast card, it stops working as soon as you cross the border to Canada. I personally use the Navioncs display when searching for and diving wrecks and local dive sites. I find the additional depth readings (which match my charts and charting software) to be useful.

YMMV,
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Scott,
Thanks for your insight (pardon the pun). It's always good to read reviews from someone you have met in person.

I have not had the opportunity to experience the "shading" feature on my chartplotter, probably because mine does not have it. I noticed that that feature is only available on US Models. I got mine off Ebay and assume it was NOT the US model since I can only get the 2D feature work.

But, I cant complain too much. I got the HDS-8 with Insight for $1500 new plus the $150 mail in rebate (check came a few weeks ago).

As much as I would love to see the shaded relief feature, I am pretty damn happy with what it currently has on it. I can find the wreck and get anchored on it first time every time.... knock on wood so far.

What are the Navionics charts running for now? Do they offer shaded relief view?

Oh yeah, Florida is great. No bulky gear. I can be in my 3 mil ready to dive in less than 2 minutes. But I do miss my buddies up there in dreary land though.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

pensacoladiver wrote: What are the Navionics charts running for now? Do they offer shaded relief view?

Oh yeah, Florida is great. No bulky gear. I can be in my 3 mil ready to dive in less than 2 minutes. But I do miss my buddies up there in dreary land though.
The chart cards run $150 - $250, depending on area and detail (gold/platinum). I'm not sure about the shading. I've never felt the need to use it on the Navionics display since there is adequate depth detail for safe navigation. On the Insight, as you zoom out, the depth shading becomes your only clue as to when you are straying into shallow waters. It works very well, but I like seeing the actual depths.

I'm jealous of your 3 mil and warm water. I spent quite a bit of time at Pensacola NAS when I was a youngster. Unfortunately, I did not dive back then. What a bummer!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

+1 on the Navionics. I am not sure if I have the Gold or the Gold+ or what. I only have 1 slot so I only occasionally take the chip out to use a blank SD card to edit marks. I do have the "Northwest" chip which is roughly Columbia River to Port Hardy I think. Be very careful you don't accidentally get "west coast" which is MX border to Canadian border. Not as useful.

I like mine alot running in my color Humminbird. Its 5yrs old but for my navigation, updating it is kinda silly.

I have mine set on shading the <60' bathtub ring. I find it helpful to still be able to see safe water when zoomed out.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.