Drysuit Glove System - Which is best?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Re: Drysuit Glove System - Which is best?

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

I use the Diving Concepts with the furry liners installed !!! only about 20 dives on them and luv'em
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I have to Si Tech Quick Lock system and I have had no prblems with them. These are my first pair of dry gloves and the rings are a bit big but I dont have an issues with them. I bought some bright red gloves from Homedepot that work fine and I have no problems getting the rings on. takes me like 10 minutes. I also bought thicker lined gloves at Lowes for like $2.98 a for two.
Jeff Castor
Ranbal
Just Settling In

Post by Ranbal »

Another vote for SiTech Quick Locks. Have been diving them for two years and love them. Easy on, easy off. Never a leak. Still using the original orange atlas gloves. The stuff works and lasts.

Not home - sent from mobile.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

Hey Everyone,

I figured since I have personally dove so many different kinds, I may as well pitch in.

These are my own personal user reviews that may help someones decision and not intended to steer someone one direction or another. Also note that any o-rings that are designed to move should have some lubrication. Most dryglove sytems failures can be prevented with lubricating the o-ring o avoid it from rolling or unseating. Also by trimming any excess glove with help prevent the glove from rolling up underneath the o-ring. Out of all the systems used, I have not had many leaks because someone showed me how to use them properly.

I currently dive the Northern Diver System. It has probably been my favorite ring system in the fact it locks well and fits bigger hands. It is extremely easy to install on the suit and the glove. However, although I do not believe they closed, they do not have a North American Distributor any longer. UTC use to distribute them out of Canada but they don't anymore. This is primarily important in the event you had any issues with them. Although you can send them to the UK, you will be without them for a while. They also can be used in adjacency with neoprene or latex seals while many others say they aren't designed to be used with neoprene. Another issue is the red locking rings tend to break if you bang them together.

Northern Diver
Pros - Easy To Use, Reliable, Fits Larger Hands
Cons - Expensive and no Distributor

Diving Concepts Rings probably were the most reliable system I used. It definately is not as user friendly to install, in fact Diving Concepts uses a machine to install the gloves onto the rings. Although I have done this plenty of times I have to admit it sucks and I have lost serious chunks of flesh doing it by hand. They do not go on and off as easy as some systems I have used, but they seal well. They can easily be used with or without keeping your seal.

Diving Concepts
Pros - I never had one leak in the seal
Cons - Harder to install, Not as easy to don/dof, not the best for larger hands

SiTech Quick Dry Glove System (Non Locking)
This system is by far my most popular selling system. It is extremely easy to install, and is "one" of the more inexpensive systems out there. You can use either lined or unlined Atlas gloves. The one thing to note with this system is Whites and USIA are starting to offer the Quick Change system on there suits. http://www.sitech.se/files/documents/pr ... %20set.pdf
These glove systems will work with that system out of the box. I am switching to this glove system since I have gone to Quick Change System as descibed in the above link.

I have not tried the Viking System whatsoever so I can not make any comments on them. SiTech also offers an oval system for larger hands, and their locking system. I looked at them both at DEMA 2 years ago. My quick opinion of the locking system was that it was HUGE. The oval system looked like it would work well for large hands.

Again, just my 2 cents on what I have experienced.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I agree -- when I was trying to figure out what would work with the SiTech quick change wrist seal system, I tried the Glove Lock, and it's just ridiculously enormous.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I kind of figured the trick with the si tech quick drys, and have used mine leak free now on 8 dives.

1> Lube, both the seal, and the mating surface. I used technical jelly
2> Press them on evenly. Its abit of a trick, but I've been doing it on my own now.
3> Once seated, open the locking rings at least 1/4 turn, I do 1/2. Then press fit back on. (Saw this on their video) I think this helps straighten the seal, if it gets askew.

I ran for abit without equalizing straws, but on my last dives at Sund Rock, Bruce gave me some straws.

He said at deeper pressures, the glove squeeze is pretty bad, and not good for your hands.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Love my Viking stretch over the ring system. Once you figure out how to do them yourself they're tops!