Octo/BC combo air supply

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Octo/BC combo air supply

Post by mpenders »

This thread reminds me of a certain discussion regarding can lights...

:popcorn:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mpenders wrote:This thread reminds me of a certain discussion regarding can lights...

What's a can light?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

mpenders wrote:This thread reminds me of a certain discussion regarding can lights...

I personally like the cannot lights better :p
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:

I personally like the cannot lights better :p
The handheld cannots are the bomb
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

While yes, if money was no object i certainly would try the dive rite integrated air supply. I really appreciate the replies, knowledge is always welcome. I am in no way discounting the advice on this forum, challenging it at times? certainly! In my line of work I am taught to question everything and look for solutions to needs which often results in outside the box thinking...Sometimes just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it is the best or only way of doing something. Also, Scuba has come a loooong way and people were successfully diving on gear that we would consider suicide these days. I have no problem what so ever in trusting my life to modern tech that only costs $99. A bit of advice, if i may: Just because something costs lots of money does not mean it is significantly better than something that is a fraction of the cost. There are modern business practices which involve marking up products by huge amounts to influence the consumer to assume it is significantly better than the competition. Ultimately it is up to the consumer to decide and we don't always get it right.

I am in no way saying any view is right or wrong, that's a common misconception. Instead i just think for myself and don't sway with popular opinion. I make my own decisions with as much information as possible. Sometimes it ends up being aligned with popular opinion, other times it does not. Please don't be offended by this.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

WaGigKpn wrote:While yes, if money was no object i certainly would try the dive rite integrated air supply. I really appreciate the replies, knowledge is always welcome. I am in no way discounting the advice on this forum, challenging it at times? certainly! In my line of work I am taught to question everything and look for solutions to needs which often results in outside the box thinking...Sometimes just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it is the best or only way of doing something. Also, Scuba has come a loooong way and people were successfully diving on gear that we would consider suicide these days. I have no problem what so ever in trusting my life to modern tech that only costs $99. A bit of advice, if i may: Just because something costs lots of money does not mean it is significantly better than something that is a fraction of the cost. There are modern business practices which involve marking up products by huge amounts to influence the consumer to assume it is significantly better than the competition. Ultimately it is up to the consumer to decide and we don't always get it right.

I am in no way saying any view is right or wrong, that's a common misconception. Instead i just think for myself and don't sway with popular opinion. I make my own decisions with as much information as possible. Sometimes it ends up being aligned with popular opinion, other times it does not. Please don't be offended by this.
I very much agree. And what is critical for someone who will be decompression/cave/wreck diving might not be so critical for those of us who are strictly rec divers
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

If you are questioning things with an open mind, then I'd seriously question whether switching to a combo unit to streamline you and using oral inflation would do either. I doubt you could get much more than 1-2% improvement in either parameter....if that.

I say that after using 'standard' setups, a ScubaPro combo setup, and moving to BP/W with 7' hose and necklace octo.
I have had to share air with a standard setup - successful but it was not fun or pretty, and that was in the tropics which makes it MUCH easier. Having done that, attempted to mock up an air share using a combo unit, I simply would not want to do it at all.
I have also shared air (for real, 95' and OOA situation, along with a couple other non-critical times) with the long hose and it simply makes a world of difference in lowering the stress, and making the process easier.

Time to look at your real agenda because your first assumptions simply do not hold up. IMO those things are on the market simply to sell more equipment. Just because Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, or even Atomic sells it doesn't make it a useful piece of equipment.

Even if you are (only) a rec diver (I am), if you dive long enough you most likely will have to share air in a real situation. Borrow one and try it. Make your own decision based on real experience.

Note-harsh reality. Practice helps enormously with any rescue type drill. Most people don't practice very much. They seldom practice OOA situations. I can almost guarantee that you won't have practiced it with the person that grabs your reg.
Last edited by fmerkel on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

fmerkel wrote: Time to look at your real agenda because your first assumptions simply do not hold up. IMO those things are on the market simply to sell more equipment. Just because Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, or even Atomic sells it doesn't make it a useful piece of equipment.
^^^^^^
what Fritz said. There's awhole lotta crap out there meant to be: 1) flashy and new 2) part you and your money. Repeat every few years and keep manufacturers churning out more of it.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I am by NO means an Scuba expert of any type but I can pass on my own experience with a ScubaPro Air2. I just ordered a HOG Zenith second stage reg to run on a 22"-26" hose setup in leu of the Air2. My reasoning is much the same as a few of the others in this thread. During my OW training I complained to my wife about the closeness of the air sharing drills and how I disliked trying to breathe off of the Air2. If I moved my head to the left there was no restriction but move it to the right and I felt like I was pulling the Air2 out of my mouth and felt like I had to bite down extra firm to keep the reg in my mouth. I am not Tec, DIR or GUE but I do like how these folks are setting up their gear, it just makes sense to me. I like the idea of taking my primary second stage and giving it to someone then grabbing for my "octo" that is sitting on a necklace just below my chin. Now...having said that, I have not done it yet so I can't say anything other than it makes sense to me. Hell, who knows? I might hate it even more than running the Air2. I will post after my first dive with the new setup.

Either way, I wish you luck in finding what works best for you.

Dave
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I figure I'm about as streamline as a cement truck underwater so I just use what I like and try to swim smooth as possible.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.