Computers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Re: Computers

Post by RenaB »

Thank you Jeff, that is very kind of you to offer. I will probably start heading up your way in April, and might take you up on that, if I haven't bought something by then.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

I second the thought on the "cheapest computer you can buy". I have seen/used them all. No matter how careful you are, you end up damaging dive gear. I just like not having to worry about replacing a 2000 dollar complex device.

As many people said, if you're staying recreational, you need three things:
1. Depth
2. Time
3. Remaining no-deco time.

A transmitter is helpful I suppose. I personally haven't ever used one and never missed one, but people who have, loved it.

I use a DG-02, and I can't say I've used "all the functions" it offers. I haven't used it as more than a timer after my 30th dive.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

OK, this goes without saying, but air integration doesn't come on all computers. To me that sounds weird. What are you timing?? I mean I guess it doesn't have to be connected to the air but it seems silly not to be intergrated to the tank??? I just assumed it would tell you your depth, and pressure, and then calculate based off current consumption how much air time you had left. Seems like a fairly standard thing to give. I mean whats the point then, besides not having to assume all your time was spent at your max depth?

So the Oceanic 180 series isn't air intergrated but the 1.X series is (it appears).

I think my problem at this point is that I REALLY just want my classes to start, and they haven't. So, now I am looking at stuff to purchase, when really I don't need to do that. I am probably the most well read non-diver anyone knows. :)
Rena

Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I've seen a lot of people with air integrated computers that are no longer air integrated for one reason or another. They seem to go bad fairly often. My feeling is you should be able to do a quick "Time to end of dive" calculation in your head by looking at your current pressure level and your dive timer. But it never means too much because there are too many variables like your depth changing, your work level changing, your anxiety level changing, etc.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

IMO air integrated and transmitter based systems are simply expensive options looking for an inopportune moment to go bad. I've seen plenty that have. In fact I've seen not a whole lot of any computer last much over 5-7 years. My last one that died, still in warranty (less than a year), but no longer made, so I had to cough up a 'generous' replacement cost. Scubapro/UWATEC and my opinion of generous were not the same, not even close-should have been free. Not to pick on them, they are just one of multiple brands that have gone down that path.

I think you should never go in the water without an analog air gauge and working depth gauge. Most of the rest of it is fluff for an average recreational one tank dive. Multiple tanks and a basic computer starts to make some sense.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Thank you, it has been so long since I have done any diving, I thought that they had integrated everything into a computer. I didn't really feel very comfortable with that, so I was going to get a back up system anyway. This takes some of the guess work out of what I was thinking around gear.
Rena

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are some really simple calculations you can do in your head to tell you roughly how long you can dive, given the profile you are planning (and you always ought to be planning a profile, at least in rough outline). Take a look at this article on Bob Bailey's website: http://nwgratefuldiver.com/articles/gas.html

If you use those principles, you don't need to have your computer telling you how much more time you have in your tank; just an analog gauge to tell you how much gas you have will be enough. That frees things up to use a wrist computer (much nicer to see, especially on ascents, when you want to manage your inflator and watch your depth) without having to buy a transmitter, which is a finicky and expensive gadget.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Yes, agree about the non-integrated computer :) I was happy to hear that I didn't need one, and relieved. Thanks for the link, Lynn
Rena