This makes me sick, Makah Indian tribe kills whale with gun

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sorry folks ... I deleted a couple of posts that I felt were a bit out of bounds, even for this controversial topic.

You know who ... and probably why ... but if there are any questions about the two posts that disappeared, please PM me and I'll be happy to discuss my reasons.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

airsix wrote:
Sea of Green wrote:Somebody needs to tell the Makahs that they can't have their Keiko and eat it too... #-o
Valerie will stop by later to administer your pun-ishment. She apparently has a low tolerance. :smt064

-Ben
After just now catching up on this thread, I'm now groaning twice! Or should I say, whaling (wailing).

Sorry, it's the best I could come up with. And, I'm not meaning to take light of the situation or be flip in any way.

-Valerie
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Nwbrewer wrote:As much as I'm not really in favor of whale hunting, you should know it was not the Makah's idea to shoot the whale with rifle.

My understanding from previous years hunts was that the Makah wanted to hunt the whale in the traditional way (harpoons and canoes only) DFW or whoever they secure the permit through required the rifle usage as being more humane... :pale:

Jake

EDIT - http://www.komotv.com/news/9680792.html

From this story it appears that this may have been a case of poaching. I still don't really understand the alure of hunting whales for meet. There's no way that can taste good.....
This is about the best quote from the article:
"We are a law-abiding people and we will not tolerate lawless conduct by any of our members," said Debbie Wachendorf with the Makah Tribal Council. "We hope the public does not permit the actions of five ill-responsible persons to be used to harm the image of the entire tribe."
I would say overall it still saddens me to see such a great creature still being hunted, poaching or not. But worse has been seen in other parts of the world. For instance Japanese fishermen rounding dolphins into nets, clubbing and spearing them.. etc. Just hope someday we're still left with enough of these great creatures in our world for us to still see and study. :(