Travel gear bag

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Travel gear bag

Post by Tom Nic »

Pez7378 wrote:This only applies to DOMESTIC flights.
Doh! ](*,) I see that now. So... Doh... then YeeHaw! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Ok...a bit of a hijack and a major rant. :angryfire:

I love to fly. I have been an Alaska Mileage Plan member for almost 20 years. I respect what all the people do to make an airplane fly millions of people each day and I am all about being safe. I will continue to fly and show loyalty to Alaska Airlines and its partners. However, I am sick and tired of hearing how much $$$ the airlines are losing each day.

Take an airplane flying from Seattle to Los Angeles with 130 people on board. The average price of a seat, figuring in freebees and full fare passengers, but minus taxes or fuel surcharges is about $150 one way. The airline grossed almost $20k on that flight. They do that flight about 10-25 times a day, figuring all the airlines and airports in the LA area. Figure in Denver. Cost of a seat is higher (less flights) but the distance is about the same. So, now figure in a flight to New York City where there are more seats, and more first and business class people flying. Average cost of a seat is about $500 one way. If the plane has 200 passengers on board, the airlines is making $100k. The airlines that fly that route do it about 2-5 times a day. On top of that, the airlines are charging booking fees, cancellation fees, large bag fees, pet fees, unaccomp. minors fees, booze on board and even for food on some airlines. I know, the airlines has to pay salaries, but to save money, they are now outsourcing reservations, baggage handling, cleaning services and security. They have fewer flight attendants on board and less people working counters. They do not pay travel agents anything anymore either. They need to pay for new planes and rent, and of course jet fuel. However, I am trying to figure out how they are losing money, when the average airline is grossing millions of dollars each day, at each hub it operates out of. I am not an accountant, but this doesn't seem to add up to me. Am I missing something???
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Ok...a bit of a hijack and a major rant. :angryfire:

Am I missing something???
Probably, :-) but I'm not qualified to answer! Nice rant though!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

A 747 costs $216,000,000 (on average).
Add to this it's average hourly* operating cost of over $7,000 per hour x24hrs per day = $168,000 per airplane per day.

The plane has a service life of about 60,000 flight hours. Most fly 1 hour out of 3, so airframe service life is expected to be about 20 years on average (most have gone past that though).

So if the airline issues bonds at 6% with 20 year maturity to fund the aircraft purchase, the monthly loan payments would be
$1,547,424 per aircraft or about $2,149 per hour (24hrs per day)

So if we're in the ballpark, total average hourly costs are $9,000-$10,000 per hour or $216,000-$240,000 per day. About 9 hours per day are spent in the air, so the pane needs to generate revenue of $26,000 per flight hour per aircraft to break even.

You have to break expenses down by hours per aircraft, not just look at total revenue. This is all back-of-the-napkin stuff, but if anything I bet the numbers are conservative.

-Ben

*includes inflight and ground operating expenses
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Math makes me feel dumb.........Shut up Joe.............That just too complicated for me.

What I want to know, is how when I pay $XXX.XX for a ticket, the airline sells the seat next to me for $xx.xx? And, when my travel agent tells me there are no more seats left on a flight, how come I can look at the available seats on the airlines website and see that there are in fact several seats available?
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Back to the subject. For years now I have used that cheap blue travel bag from Costco. With wheels, entension handle and a dry and wet compartments it is great. And only about $39. I have converted many divers and non divers to them. I started with a US Divers gear bag but got tired of not being able to lift it when it was full and went to the smaller ones from Costco. I always carry my regs,computer and camera on with me in a backpack. Most of my cloths in my carry on. Hey your going to the tropics not to Alaska. A couple of shorts, shirts and swim suit is good to go for a week.

Any one want to buy a big bulky US Divers gear bag???????
Charles
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I'm off to Costco this weekend-I'll let y'all know what I find...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

Good advise on the Costco bags! I have been using one for over 5 years (replaced one wheel) and it is still kicking. We have been on several cruises which typically means alot of wheeling of gear down the piers. You can't beat the price. One suggestion is to spray the zippers with silicon. Typically when traveling the opportunity for the best rinsing and complete drying before packing is not always there. Spraying the zippers helps keep them working longer and easier to clean up at home.
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php