Back from Hawaii and just got certified as a tech diver

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Back from Hawaii and just got certified as a tech diver

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:You've already mentioned a Halcyon BCD, have you taken DIRF or the NAUI intro to tech yet? With the questions you've posted, it sounds as though gear configuration for our waters was not covered in the class you've already taken, therefor I'd highly recommend getting some more foundation training before moving 'on'.

The Halcyon kit would make me think that at some point you've considered the DIR route (there is a DIRF coming up in vancouver in a few weeks with Marc Hall) but then everything else you've posted leads me to believe otherwise.

It's very hard to recommend tank size without an idea of your diving goals.

Regards,

Laura
Seems like she covered that in the first post:
Crystaltear wrote:Can't wait to blurb about it. I took the Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedure course with Don Kinney and am now a certified TDI tech diver :supz:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Nailer99 wrote:
What regs do everyone recommend? I'm thinking either APEX XTX 200 or a scubapro, not sure about the model yet.

I love my Apeks regs! They were priced well, breathe great, and are simple and relatively cheap to service. My Scuba Pro mk25/s600 is a good reg too. But I don't like it as much as my DS4's

I highly recommend Apeks
Last edited by Ken G on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Crystaltear wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote: I've found the DSS Torus wings to be a pretty awesome deal ... and they perform wonderfully. Tobin is very helpful at determining the right size wing for your setup.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm planning to use steel 80s plus a 40 or 30 AL stage bottle. Would 50lb be enough? DSS, is that what you use? Who's Tobin?
The DSS 49 should work fine, I use one with double 100s and a 40 or 80.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I also think the DSS Torus 49 would be a good choice.

Guanjin ... I own one. If you want to try it out with your rig, then let's exchange some PM's and see how we can make it happen.

I'd be happy to discuss gear choices with you ... I own several different styles of Apeks and ScubaPro regs, and can show you what they are, how I use them, and what the advantages/disadvantages of each are. There are other brands out there that also work well for local tech diving. I can discuss those alternatives with you as well.

Not sure that an internet forum is the best way to learn about these things. Sometimes "show and tell" works best ... there's nothing like getting your hands on the gear, or actually diving it to see if it's right for you before you buy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

Thanks Bob, I'd love to have you help me get the gears figured out. Unfortunately, I just bought some new stuffs 5 hours before your post. Still would love to do some dives with you as a way to start my tech dives though :)

I was at the dive shop yesterday and got a really sweet deal on the 40lb halcyon evolve wing, an atomic m1 reg and a 40cft stage bottle setup, but still haven't decided whether to use the atomic as the octopus or the stage reg :p
Guanjin
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

I have some awsome pictures of a great tech diver that I hope to dive with again. It was a great and fun weekend.
SURPRIZE!!! :smt038 :smt038 :occasion5: :occasion5: :supz: :supz: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
CONGRATULATION
DSC_0394.JPG
DSC_0397.JPG
DSC_0398.JPG
DSC_0404.JPG
DSC_0471.JPG
DSC_0541.JPG
I have added a few things I wish you could of seen. Again you will have to come down here to dive. we don't have Hood canal down here but there is a lot of neet things to do and dive.
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I LOVE the bunny hood! Now THAT's the right attitude :supz:

-Valerie
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Is that a bunny hood? I'm not so sure Val - may need to take a different critter ID class to ID that one! I love the hood too, BTW!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, whatever kind of critter hood it is, I still love it!

-Valerie
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I dunno- those bunny ears might comprimise long hose donation in an OOG situation.........

But at least the victim would die looking at a cute bunny, so it's probably OK.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

I was a short ear pink bunny :D

Yann, I still can't believe you posted those pictures here on the board :boxing:
Oregon diving is still on my list, but the priority for me now is go to florida :D
Guanjin
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

I'm sorry if that offended you. Really I'm sorry. I didn't think that there was anything wrong with those pics. I thought they were cute. And enjoy your trip to Florida. Going to do some wreck diving. I envi you. I would love to dive there two but it is not on my budget. :partyman:
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:I LOVE the bunny hood! Now THAT's the right attitude :supz:

-Valerie
I want one now.... extremely badly. Do they come in yellow? :naka: