Question

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Re: Question

Post by lurch »

Nwbrewer wrote:
smike wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:Expensive gear a good diver doesn't necessarily make.
Yes master yoda. :smt064
As the CEO of Redneck Dive Supply you know this first hand. :la:
I was more refering to your grammer....
Should we expect a tag team comedy act between Nwbrewer & laivindil, in the spirit of Pez7378 and Fistiq?

Just wondering.
Nah, I'm an equal opportunity antagonist. Better watch out Mike. :evil4:

It's true.

He's also tamer than those two. :boxing:

Opps, sorry. "Tamer than those two he is..." laivindil -> :smt064 <-nwbrewer
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

I was certified in April and have about 20 dives now (should have more, I love this hobby!) so this is my opinion. Do not buy anything until after you are certified. I would then look at getting a good drysuit as one of the first purchases. This is a big purchase and one that will make the biggest difference. Being warm and dry is really nice! Do alot of research and do not be in a big hurry to buy. You will get lot's opinions from divers and especially from dive shops. Go to a couple of different shops and ask questions about gear. I have already purchased most of my gear and there are a few things that I would do different. Remeber to search Craigslist often, there are some great deals to be had if you are patient! Good luck, Bob
Last edited by DiverBob on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good, let's dive!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm with everybody else . . . Don't rush into buying stuff; for the certification class, don't buy fancy anything. A simple snorkel, simple inexpensive fins . . . Mask has to fit. Then look around afterward at what people are using. Regardless of diving philosophy, you'll find that the people who dive actively around here tend toward a similar gear configuration, because it works.

I'd vote for a drysuit early on, though. Exposure protection only works if it fits. My first dry suit cost me the same amount as renting one ten times (most are a bit more expensive than that, though). But by buying one, I had one that FIT, and one that I could get used to. Being warm is the key to enjoying Puget Sound diving and wanting to do a lot of it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivindil wrote:

As long as you don't start to type like Jar-Jar, if you do I'm cutting your airhose......
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:

As long as you don't start to type like Jar-Jar, if you do I'm cutting your airhose......
Yoda typing is not only allowed, encouraged, it is. Jar-Jar typing get your ass banned, it will. :smt032
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:We JUST had this discussion, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

i have a half ounce more motivation than mr smith. here's the thread he was referring to.

here's another thread that might help too.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:

I know I've complimented your light's fine craftsmanship and tight beam in the past...

...but they're not actually lightsabers... :smt119
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:

I know I've complimented your light's fine craftsmanship and tight beam in the past...

I'm gonna borrow Sounders. Didn't you know he's upgraded to the new Salvo Saber? You have to wear the battery pack like the second tank on a set of doubles, but man the output is incredible..... :supz:

Can anyone tell it's been WAAAAYYYY too long since I went diving?
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:

I'm gonna borrow Sounders. Didn't you know he's upgraded to the new Salvo Saber? You have to wear the battery pack like the second tank on a set of doubles, but man the output is incredible..... :supz:

Can anyone tell it's been WAAAAYYYY too long since I went diving?
Oh.

Well in that case Dan's got a couple video lights that'll burn your retinas out on a sunny day. I just need to get 'em re-focused for tight-beam and your a** is gra** Darth Brewer. :smt027
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Joshua Smith wrote:We JUST had this discussion, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I vote for getting your own regs first- it's what you're using to breathe underwater, afterall. To me, everything else is less important.
YES...IT WAS ME. Check it out here: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5424

You might not have the same problem I have had [as a shorter, top heavy female], so some of my banter will not be applicable. Though much of the advice there from other folks is extremely helpful. I've learned that scuba gear is typically A) designed for boys and B) designed for girls by boys. Under B- it doesn't quite fit the same as boys will never understand as they don't have things that get in the way.

Just keep in mind, whatever you get is your own choice and do not let anyone pressure you into buying something you are not sure about. Just take in all the info, do your homework and come to your own conclusion based your needs and where you think you will be taking diving.

The best advice I got was to don't rush [take my time] and try-out as much different gear as you can to see what you like and don't like. Don't go ADD on gear. Otherwise you may end up with a dive shack in your yard for all the pieces of gear you don't use for whatever reason. So try whatever you can before you buy. :)

I'm basically going through the same thing. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further.

B
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

THANKS EVERYONE!!! So helpful to see so many different views, and opinons!

\m/(><)\m/

You all rock
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Norris...our instructor said the same thing...try out different items before you buy. I took my class at Seattle UWS and we went on a tour through the shop. I am an internet junkie and most likely will search for a deal or wait for one of the dive fairs to get a package deal. Renting is the way for me right now.

Good luck in your class. I had only snorkeled once before taking the class and so glad I pursued the certification. I think my 7 year old daughter is the most excited as when I returned from my first two OW dives and told her what we saw she said,"we have to get you a camera". When returning sunday she said, "now we definately need to get you one". If only her mother thought the same way.
Sean