Fatality at Sund Rock 3/22/09

General banter about diving and why we love it.
clackadiver
Just Settling In

Re: Fatality at Sund Rock 3/22/09

Post by clackadiver »

Thanks for the condolences folks, I'll pass them on and that's really where we need to be at this point.
At least till there's a chance to get final arrangements completed, services performed and to actually find out exactly what went wrong.
I can tell you their training was not lacking for her level of experience. And gas management is part of the curriculum.
Yes, there's absolutely no reason to run out of gas and we train to be on shore with no less than 500psi, but, you cannot assure what a new diver does at 60' is the same as what they do either in the pool or with an Instructor or dive leader.
In the heat of the moment we have all made mistakes, sometimes either the multiplicity or magnitude of those mistakes get the better of us and the Piper must be paid.
I believe, still without ALL the facts- still don't have the dive profiles, that that's mostly what happened here.
I refuse to cast blame and will not, neither should anybody here. We should learn from the situation, reexamine our training techniques, and incorporate whatever revisions we can to make as safe a diver as we can that fully understands the risks of their decisions.
That's all we can do, the final decision is ultimately up to the diver and the level of risk they are willing to accept.
Accidents will still happen and hopefully through training we can teach those willing to learn how to mitigate those situations when they arise. And in the process they learn how to reduce needless risk.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: Fatality at Sund Rock 3/22/09

Post by Burntchef »

clackadiver wrote:Thanks for the condolences folks, I'll pass them on and that's really where we need to be at this point.
At least till there's a chance to get final arrangements completed, services performed and to actually find out exactly what went wrong.
I can tell you their training was not lacking for her level of experience. And gas management is part of the curriculum.
Yes, there's absolutely no reason to run out of gas and we train to be on shore with no less than 500psi, but, you cannot assure what a new diver does at 60' is the same as what they do either in the pool or with an Instructor or dive leader.
In the heat of the moment we have all made mistakes, sometimes either the multiplicity or magnitude of those mistakes get the better of us and the Piper must be paid.
I believe, still without ALL the facts- still don't have the dive profiles, that that's mostly what happened here.
I refuse to cast blame and will not, neither should anybody here. We should learn from the situation, reexamine our training techniques, and incorporate whatever revisions we can to make as safe a diver as we can that fully understands the risks of their decisions.
That's all we can do, the final decision is ultimately up to the diver and the level of risk they are willing to accept.
Accidents will still happen and hopefully through training we can teach those willing to learn how to mitigate those situations when they arise. And in the process they learn how to reduce needless risk.
iam very sorry for the loss of your friend. and thank you for bringing some insight to the tragedy with factual details. everyone does make mistakes, the hobby we all enjoy is no stroll in the park no matter what the dive plan. not all of us here are quick to jump to conclusions.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ