yet more from Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: yet more from Redondo

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey, Those PLS pix are the cutest I've seen! Look like he's smiling just for you. :hello2: :hello2:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty2 wrote:Hey, Those PLS pix are the cutest I've seen! Look like he's smiling just for you. :hello2: :hello2:
I suspect he was just trying to get rid of me.

It's taken me the longest time to figure out how to make this camera focus on something that small ... there's so dang many settings to play with. I think tonight I finally figured out something ... compare those to the ones I took the previous night where it looks like the camera was focusing behind the fish ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wonder whats causing this viz out we have been having? Is it just spring and all the critters are spawning?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty2 wrote:Wonder whats causing this viz out we have been having? Is it just spring and all the critters are spawning?
Sun, I would imagine ... it's warming the water up. According to my computer, water temp on the surface right now is 52 degrees. At depth it's still just a bit over 45. That's probably causing the plankton to get all sorts of horny ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Spatman and I did a dive to the bottle field yesterday afternoon. Vis wasn't much better than it's been all week ... about 15 feet at the bottle field, with lots of floating schmutz in the water. In about a 20-minute search we turned up a couple red octos, quite a few stubby squids ... and no lumpsuckers. So we headed back upslope. At about 60 fsw I noticed a familiar-looking split-fin tail sticking out of a snail shell. I stopped Spatman and pointed to the shell. He got this quizzical look as if to say "it's a shell" ... so I reached down and tapped on the shell and out came this beautiful little lumpie. I didn't get any decent pictures ... between all the floaties in the water and the fact that he blended in with the surroundings so well I could barely see him ... but the colors were so pretty I wanted to share ...

When we hit our safety stop the water turned this thick, brown color and was filled with tiny little globules of what looked like oil. We did our safety stop and came in ... at which point I could see what caused it. The storm pipe was gushing this thick, brown sludge that was running down the ground (it was a very low tide) so fast that it had literally carved a new gully in the bottom ... there was what looked like about a foot-and-a-half high sand cliff right next to the stairs from all the runoff. What we'd been swimming in those last few minutes was pure pollution ... yuck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The spectrum of colors on these little guys is just amazing.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Vis at Redondo tonight was just stupid-bad ... about zero to 2 feet on the descent and clearing all the way up to about 5 feet by the time Valerie and I got to the bottle field.

We still had a nice, 61 minute dive and managed to find a few little things here and there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Bagged me a fat one tonight ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow Pretty shot on the hermit! That one is a keeper! The little PSL Looks ready to make more for us to wonder at. Nice to see the population doing so well.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Vis was sooooooooooooooooo bad last night Mon / 7 th.. I couldn't see 2 feet.. It was terrible..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That's why I didn't stay last night.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

H20doctor wrote:Vis was sooooooooooooooooo bad last night Mon / 7 th.. I couldn't see 2 feet.. It was terrible..
But you still saw a few Baby Red Octo's, a Sailfin Sculpin, a few Stubby Sqid's,A larger Red Octo on my glove, an Ellpout, Several Longfin Midshipman (?),and a few Gunnels! in 2 foot vis, I think that's a prety good :toimonster: dive! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes , but , but ,but Bassman.. It was Brutal Vis... Even Dusty sat it out !!!
That was funny seeing you trying to shake an octo Off your Hand ... Isn't there a song ? .. Shake shake shake .. Shake shake shake..shake that Octo... Shake that Octo .. !!! :laugh:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

H20doctor wrote:Yes , but , but ,but Bassman.. It was Brutal Vis... Even Dusty sat it out !!!
That was funny seeing you trying to shake an octo Off your Hand ... Isn't there a song ? .. Shake shake shake .. Shake shake shake..shake that Octo... Shake that Octo .. !!! :laugh:
#-o :pale: ... :evil4:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Really interesting colors on tonight's lumpie ... Sandra's first ...

... are y'all getting tired of these yet?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Grateful Diver wrote: ... are y'all getting tired of these yet?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Never! It's amazing the quality of your shots. I would love to see one of these.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

AAAAHHHMMMMMMM yes... So put that G10 on video mode and let's see the Lumpy shine for the camera..
But No I could never tire of a psl , never.. Thanks Bob for doing what I couldn't do last night ..
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Here's a pic from Thursday at Redondo. It was the only place that the vis was good....
Attachments
CIMG2161.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

cardiver wrote:Here's a pic from Thursday at Redondo. It was the only place that the vis was good....
For sure!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Last night's lumpie was exceptionally colorful. Unfortunately the little bugger never stopped moving, and so I didn't have as much opportunity to get the lighting as right as I'd have liked. I'll post a few, though, so you can see the lovely colors.

This one's a serious "in your face" ... it's out of focus because the little guy swam right into the lens!

... and I found a couple other nice things down there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

more jewels from the King of the Lumpies. Great stuff Bob ! :supz:
Are you using close up attachments ?
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jan K wrote:more jewels from the King of the Lumpies. Great stuff Bob ! :supz:
Are you using close up attachments ?
Not yet ... I ordered the macro port after the Expo, but haven't received it yet.

All these are done with the standard 28 mm lens and flat port.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That camera is awesome! A great series of shots. I really like the stubby shot. Great angle and the clarity is awesome!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Here's the tiny lumpsucker we found at Redondo yesterday. While GD was down at the bottle field, we found this little fellow out on the flat somewhere. Here are a couple of the better shots of him, close up so you don't really get a feel for how small he was:
lumpy1.jpg
lumpy2.jpg
With that in mind, here's a pic by me of him on his little lettuce leaf, to give an idea of his size:
lumpy4.jpg
Even better is this pic. He swam up and right into chenari's - oh, foo, her name's Malinda, into Malinda's - light and she couldn't get him off it. Apparently he was seriously attracted to the beam. So she took this pic of him on the light. It's not in focus, but it gives you a good idea of his size in comparison to the lens of a C8:
lumpy3.jpg
As an added bonus, we thought we had gotten skunked on nudibranchs yesterday; didn't see a single one. Then we took a closer look at that first pic of the lumpy, and guess what? Look on the right side of the picture. Now think about how tiny that lumpy was. Gee, I wonder why we didn't spot that nudi??????????????????
lumpynudi.jpg
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

NicE!!!!! :supz: :smt038 =D> =D>