Dry suit undergarments....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Dry suit undergarments....

Post by scottsax »

Sockmonkey wrote:I'm surprised no one has brought up weezle yet. I luff my weezle booties.

-Eric
I think because the OP indicated he was in the broke-a$$ divers' club, and Weezles, while toasty warm in their soft, pillowy goodness, are most definitely not the least expensive undergarment option on the market. I :luv: my Weezle...

I forgot socks on one dive this last summer, and in a fit of desperation not to go back home and be further late to the dive site, I stopped and bought some DUI polar fleece drysuit boot liners. They were crazy expensive, but I'm looking forward to diving them this winter because they are HOT!!!!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

just bought a Columbia Sportswear Fleece Jacket-sweat thing for $30 at Fred Meyers. They also had the bottoms for 30, but I have my jammy bottoms, and those keep my meaty legs toasty (for now).

D(B)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I dove a 4mil semi compressed suit for a long time and then switched to a 2 mill compressed neo and found to my surprise my undergarment from the old suit felt virtually the same in the 2mil as it did in the four so I don't think the thickness of the neoprene makes any difference at depth. Anyway you go you need insulation.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Sockmonkey wrote:I've been thinking about some light weight undergarments from Fourth Element. A guy I dive with has them and they seem really warm and way space age high tech. Has anyone used them?

For cold water diving I have a big marino wool undergarment from Pinnacle. It always keeps me warm even in a leaky suit... but I never enjoyed the bulk factor. It could be that it wasn't sized right.

I'm surprised no one has brought up weezle yet. I luff my weezle booties.

-Eric
I have wondered about this as well. I get super cold. So I had a friend sew me up a double layer polar fleece undergarment. It keeps me warmer but it is super bulky! The fourth element stuff looks nice and thin. But I wonder if it compares to the warmth of the thicker fleeces.
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

I am sure i'll be warmer considering that I will be dry and the water won't be sucking the heat away from me. After reading the suggestions (thank you for the explanations, just didn't compute to me that I wouldn't need something under my suit to keep me warm)....went to REI and got an underarmour cold gear shirt, have some skins leggings and my ski socks (wool) that I can try out. They had a smart wool shirt that I could also consider, but I might just do the underarmour with a vest or something and see how it does at the club dive and then go from there. Like Fritz said, I'm going ot have to "splash it, squash it, and find out for myself".

I looove the idea of the Weezles, lol...might have to put those on my bday list for this year too....along with way too many other fun things I can't afford at the moment, lol.....
Thanks all, and thanks Geek for letting me steal the thread for a moment or two :biggrin:
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I don't think it's possible for you to steal anything from me :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Sockmonkey wrote:I've been thinking about some light weight undergarments from Fourth Element. A guy I dive with has them and they seem really warm and way space age high tech. Has anyone used them?
I have Fourth Element stuff (separate top and bottom). Mine is the thicker stuff, not sure what it is called. It is very nice and does its job very well. I had the opportunity to dive with a DUI one-piece undergarment (the green one that makes you look like a teletubbie...oh so flattering) recently, and it wasn't nearly as warm as my FE stuff. In fact, I was freezing my butt off after about 15 minutes.

I got the FE undergarments from NWSD. So, if you're local and interested in FE, go see Matthew. He's the bomb.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Thanks Liz. I'm guessing the ones you have are the arctic? How's that stuff do when it gets wet?

-Eric
lizard0924 wrote:
I have Fourth Element stuff (separate top and bottom). Mine is the thicker stuff, not sure what it is called. It is very nice and does its job very well. I had the opportunity to dive with a DUI one-piece undergarment (the green one that makes you look like a teletubbie...oh so flattering) recently, and it wasn't nearly as warm as my FE stuff. In fact, I was freezing my butt off after about 15 minutes.

I got the FE undergarments from NWSD. So, if you're local and interested in FE, go see Matthew. He's the bomb.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

This ebay seller has good stuff. I am a happy customer.

http://shop.ebay.com/rondel101bjrr/m.ht ... rom=&_ipg=

I have the "2 LAYERS OF 250G/SQM POLARTEC" style. Under it I wear one thin layer--actually the light Polartec jumper I used when I had a compressed neoprene suit, which makes a good base layer in a chilly shell suit.

This seller has done custom suits before too, for less than $150 I think. More discussion at Scubaboard.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Sockmonkey wrote:Thanks Liz. I'm guessing the ones you have are the arctic? How's that stuff do when it gets wet?

-Eric
I've never had a full-on suit flood, but the FE does a good job of dealing with the random seal leakage that happens sometimes. Keeps me warm and it never "feels" wet, even when it is wet (if that makes any sense). I would buy FE again, for sure. One thing to be aware of though, is that it is cut to fit snugly which took some getting used to at first.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

sungurl wrote:I am sure i'll be warmer considering that I will be dry and the water won't be sucking the heat away from me. After reading the suggestions (thank you for the explanations, just didn't compute to me that I wouldn't need something under my suit to keep me warm)....went to REI and got an underarmour cold gear shirt, have some skins leggings and my ski socks (wool) that I can try out. They had a smart wool shirt that I could also consider, but I might just do the underarmour with a vest or something and see how it does at the club dive and then go from there. Like Fritz said, I'm going ot have to "splash it, squash it, and find out for myself".

I looove the idea of the Weezles, lol...might have to put those on my bday list for this year too....along with way too many other fun things I can't afford at the moment, lol.....
Thanks all, and thanks Geek for letting me steal the thread for a moment or two :biggrin:
You're going to be miserable if you try to dive in Under Armor. You need something with loft to it so that you will stay warm!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Matt S. wrote:This ebay seller has good stuff. I am a happy customer.

I have the "2 LAYERS OF 250G/SQM POLARTEC" style. Under it I wear one thin layer--actually the light Polartec jumper I used when I had a compressed neoprene suit, which makes a good base layer in a chilly shell suit.

This seller has done custom suits before too, for less than $150 I think. More discussion at Scubaboard.

I have that same undergarment. I have to say that for the price it's warm and adequate. However it is also very bulky and bouyant, hence the reason why I am looking to switch to something else.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Well if you find something else you like, please post. I am always open to options. :)
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Just wondering.. I'm 6'1 210lbs. I'm wondering what size weelzle extreme would be appropriate. If there's someone out there my size I'd like to know which one they wear. If not I guess I'll have to make sense of the sizing chart and measurements.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Just wondering.. I'm 6'1 210lbs. I'm wondering what size weelzle extreme would be appropriate. If there's someone out there my size I'd like to know which one they wear. If not I guess I'll have to make sense of the sizing chart and measurements.
I have the Large Long. I'm 6'2", 220, and it fits me well. I had the regular large originally, but it was a little tight in the crotch. (TWSS) You're welcome to try it on for fit at the club dive...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Just wondering.. I'm 6'1 210lbs. I'm wondering what size weelzle extreme would be appropriate. If there's someone out there my size I'd like to know which one they wear. If not I guess I'll have to make sense of the sizing chart and measurements.
we're about the same size, you're an inch taller and a few lbs heavier. i'll dblcheck when i get home, but i think mine's a L. scottsax is a bit taller than you and his is an L Long.

edit: i see scott was quicker on the reply button...
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

hm good to know, usually everything I wear is XL. Sounds like one of the L models is going to fit.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm a Weezle dealer, so anyone wanting more information should just send me a PM or e-mail and I'll try to answer all of your questions.

One vital thing to remember with Weezles is that they do NOT stretch. Trust me on this - you want to get one that is slightly too large for you so that you can easily and simply reach your valves, put on your fins, etc. Last year a customer bought one from me that was slightly too small for him, a "Large" if I remember correctly, and then sold it for the same price he paid for it from me. He then bought a "Large-Long" that fits him perfectly and allows for reach. Each size also comes in a "Long", (Small, Small-Long, Medium, Medium-Long, etc.).

Remember - too large is no big deal....slightly too small will cause you huge problems.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

cardiver wrote:
sungurl wrote:I am sure i'll be warmer considering that I will be dry and the water won't be sucking the heat away from me. After reading the suggestions (thank you for the explanations, just didn't compute to me that I wouldn't need something under my suit to keep me warm)....went to REI and got an underarmour cold gear shirt, have some skins leggings and my ski socks (wool) that I can try out. They had a smart wool shirt that I could also consider, but I might just do the underarmour with a vest or something and see how it does at the club dive and then go from there. Like Fritz said, I'm going ot have to "splash it, squash it, and find out for myself".

You're going to be miserable if you try to dive in Under Armor. You need something with loft to it so that you will stay warm!
So I'm better off with straight wool like a SmartWool coldgear shirt??? The reason i went with the underarmour is because it helps wick sweat away, and I thought wool didnt' do that.....I sweat a lot, despite always being cold...so wanted soemthing that would wick it away....I'm open to suggsetions and I still have the receipt :biggrin:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Matt S. wrote:This ebay seller has good stuff. I am a happy customer.

+1 on this guy. His stuff is a great buy! Not fancy but the prices are good and they wear well.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I used this for awhile when I was super broke. It kept my dive buddies entertained. :chat: :hah:
http://www.footedpajamas.com/Midnite-Bl ... -119-a.htm

Hey its one piece and it's fleece. Good for one layer. I also had to wear a top and bottom fleece set and wool socks undernieth it. But eventually I had to drink the :koolaid: and buy a Weezle. It is, by far, one of my best dive purchases.
I love the Weezle! Wait! That doesn't sound right, even in my own head! #-o
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Polar fleece here...and I usually get cold after 30-40 minutes in the winter. Saving my pennies for a couple nice Weezle Extremes. Wife also has polar fleece, she gets so cold that even pouring hot/warm water over her post dive she still cannot undo her weights, ect.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

BASSMAN wrote:I used this for awhile when I was super broke. It kept my dive buddies entertained. :chat: :hah:
http://www.footedpajamas.com/Midnite-Bl ... -119-a.htm

Hey its one piece and it's fleece. Good for one layer. I also had to wear a top and bottom fleece set and wool socks undernieth it. But eventually I had to drink the :koolaid: and buy a Weezle. It is, by far, one of my best dive purchases.
I love the Weezle! Wait! That doesn't sound right, even in my own head! #-o
Hey those look like they might be great for an extra layer under you present garment when it gets really cold out,,, or should I say in.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dusty2 wrote: Hey those look like they might be great for an extra layer under you present garment when it gets really cold out,,, or should I say in.
I don't need to wear anything at all, under my Weezle. But for reasons I need not to explain, I wear swim shorts or something equilvlent under it.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

sungurl wrote:
cardiver wrote:

So I'm better off with straight wool like a SmartWool coldgear shirt??? The reason i went with the underarmour is because it helps wick sweat away, and I thought wool didnt' do that.....I sweat a lot, despite always being cold...so wanted soemthing that would wick it away....I'm open to suggsetions and I still have the receipt :biggrin:

are you thinking of JUST wearing underarmour? because you will definitely need more than that. I wear a thermal (USIA exotherm III) and under that I wear a wicking layer on my legs (similar to underarmour but thinner), a t-shirt, wool baselayer, and fleece vest on top. and wool socks. and I still get cold! Wool does wick just not as well as synthetic material, and it performs better when wet and doesn't get as stinky.

EDIT: I should also say that I have a shell suit (not neoprene)
Last edited by April on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April