So, how cold is it... really?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: So, how cold is it... really?

Post by spatman »

Berritt wrote:There IS something I can sell that would get me about $600... I'm trying to figure out if I want to sell it. That would be a good start.
don't listen to what josh has been telling you, keep both of your kidneys. they'll come in handy later in life.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

spatman wrote:
Berritt wrote:There IS something I can sell that would get me about $600... I'm trying to figure out if I want to sell it. That would be a good start.
don't listen to what josh has been telling you, keep both of your kidneys. they'll come in handy later in life.
:laughing3: :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
River Pirate
Getting To Know Folks

Post by River Pirate »

I certified finally earlier this month (April) up in Washington for the OW dives. Everyone but one guy and the instructors had a dry suit; everyone else a wetsuit. I was fine up until the 3rd dive in my one piece 7mm wetsuit. I found it easier to just leave on between dives. The stick people (they had farmer johns) seemed to be doing all right also...but they were running into the heated showers between dives. I actually tried that after my second dive and it was a mistake. Second I walked out side I was shivering pretty bad. Water Temp was 45*-48* between the 3 days.

If you can...

Take your wetsuit, gloves, booties, snorkel/mask, and fins, and go snorkel some where before your OW dives. That way you will know what to expect from the cold water.

I am also reading about people spending 40+min bottom times. Wow! On my 4th dive so far I got 27min at a depth of 46' (w/150-250lbs left).

And one more thing. It's OK to pee in the wetsuit. It actually kinda warms you up for 3 seconds. But on my wetsuit, it's a loose fit and the back zipper always comes un-done, so water is always flowing through it for a good cleansing.

Good Luck.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:

No, no, no. I wasn't talking about selling your own kidneys. I just said that you could makesome quick cash selling human kidneys. Draw your own conclusions.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

Joshua Smith wrote: No, no, no. I wasn't talking about selling your own kidneys. I just said that you could makesome quick cash selling human kidneys. Draw your own conclusions.
Or you can borrow a play from the derivitaves market and harvest kidneys from possums, raccoons and other roadkill, package them up and market them as human kidneys.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

[quote="Berritt"]Thanks again. This has been helpful.

I don't really know if I am all that cold sensitive. I mean, I hate getting into cold water. I guess we'll see what happens. ;)

There IS something I can sell that would get me about $600... I'm trying to figure out if I want to sell it. That would be a good start. I keep looking on craigslist, but until I know more about what I want/need, I am just sort of window shopping. Can't wait to get in the class and start diving!! Still scared. I was hoping that everyone would just tell me it was not going to be as bad as I was expecting. :rofl: Thanks for being honest, though.[/quote

I hear dash is getting pretty lonley......But I dont think he has $600 bucks! :rofl: :rofl: :hearteyes: :taco:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

when is the openwater portion of your class? we'll do a sun dance....
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

ljjames wrote:when is the openwater portion of your class? we'll do a sun dance....
LJ I think it'll be the weekend of the 8th? Class starts next Tuesday. It's 2 nights for 2 weeks, then the OW dives, which I am only assuming are the next weekend. I'm just getting more and more excited.

River Pirate, I can't pee in the wetsuit. No matter how tempting 3 seconds of warmth might be.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I'm not that lonely! 600$is a lot of clams! If I had that I would put it in savings for a sierra fury!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Dashrynn wrote:I'm not that lonely! 600$is a lot of clams! If I had that I would put it in savings for a sierra fury!
Yep,.... another addict is born.... ya know its bad when ya start giving up all the simple pleasures in life just so you can get another hit of crack.... :ballandchain: :ballandchain:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:I'm not that lonely! 600$is a lot of clams! If I had that I would put it in savings for a sierra fury!
Yep,.... another addict is born.... ya know its bad when ya start giving up all the simple pleasures in life just so you can get another hit of crack.... :ballandchain: :ballandchain:
Sierra Fury, huh..... Hey, Dash. I think she's working at that new club down by SafeCo................... :whip:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

oh my goodness. LOL I'm definitely going to have to get used to the guy humor, huh?
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Berritt wrote:oh my goodness. LOL I'm definitely going to have to get used to the guy humor, huh?
Sorry, Berritt... I hope you understand that "crack" is what we call a Dive Xtras scooter.... If not, that sentance could be looked at really bad.... :angelblue:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Berritt wrote:oh my goodness. LOL I'm definitely going to have to get used to the guy humor, huh?
Oh NWDC is not sexist. Both the men and women have a twisted sense of humor. It's an acquired taste...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Sorry, Berritt... I hope you understand that "crack" is what we call a Dive Xtras scooter.... If not, that sentance could be looked at really bad.... :angelblue:
I actually knew that was a scooter. :)
Definitely got a giggle at how this turned out. ;) I will get there.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I tried looking up sierra fury in the phone book and noone goes by that name :/

Wait car diver, are you sure there is such a person or are you trying to advertise your "call" name.
jOetheDIVR2
Just Settling In

Post by jOetheDIVR2 »

I wear a wet suit all the time, we do a traditional dive, at Edmond which is the day after thanksgiving and it does me just fine. It is a 7mm. My dive buddy wears a dry suit he say he say he thinks it is to warm. I believe it is based a lot on how cold sensitive you are.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacoladiver wrote: As a matter of fact, I don't remember any of this, but I have been told that when I was younger, from about age 0 to age whatever the hell it was, I would routinely piss and even crap in my clothing. It was cleaned up and amazingly enough, my legs have not fallen off to this day from any of it.

I say piss away.
Yesterday?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:I tried looking up sierra fury in the phone book and noone goes by that name :/

Wait car diver, are you sure there is such a person or are you trying to advertise your "call" name.
She's not in the phonebook, maybe try the craigslist deals thread instead.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:I tried looking up sierra fury in the phone book and noone goes by that name :/

craigslist personals er... deals?
----
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ljjames wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

craigslist personals er... deals?
well you know what they say! everything used is on craigslist.... :neener:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote: As a matter of fact, I don't remember any of this, but I have been told that when I was younger, from about age 0 to age whatever the hell it was, I would routinely piss and even crap in my clothing. It was cleaned up and amazingly enough, my legs have not fallen off to this day from any of it.

I say piss away.
Yesterday?
Maybe just a bit before yesterday... but Tomorrow? Well, who knows? And the clock keeps a tickin.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacoladiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

I say piss away.
Yesterday?
Maybe just a bit before yesterday... but Tomorrow? Well, who knows? And the clock keeps a tickin.
Guess it Depends huh?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

as long as She-P's it's okay ;)
----
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

I say piss away.
Yesterday?
Guess it Depends huh?
You just had to go there and now I can't contain myself from retelling a terrible joke.

Something along the lines of... "how's it feel to have sex with an 80 year old"???

Depends.

Mods, as usual, not to purposely keep you busy, but it my sense of humor offends anyone, especially our 80 year old members, please delete my poor joke.