AP journalist dives into Gulf, can see only oil

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: AP journalist dives into Gulf, can see only oil

Post by ktb »

pensacoladiver wrote:Did I miss something in the video or did the "journalist" roll off the boat with his regulator missing from his mouth?

If so, kind of hard to build credibility as a diver pulling stunts like that.
OMG, I missed that the first time but you are absolutely correct. But then again, when you only do ~5 dives per year, I'm sure you forget stuff. ;)
Kelly
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

ktb wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:Did I miss something in the video or did the "journalist" roll off the boat with his regulator missing from his mouth?

OMG, I missed that the first time but you are absolutely correct. But then again, when you only do ~5 dives per year, I'm sure you forget stuff. ;)
Speaking of missing stuff the first time.....was the Ecorig guy wearing jeans during the dive? I swear it looked like he had on a pair of bad '80s-style acid washed jeans while he explored the artificial reef.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

lizard0924 wrote:
ktb wrote:

Speaking of missing stuff the first time.....was the Ecorig guy wearing jeans during the dive? I swear it looked like he had on a pair of bad '80s-style acid washed jeans while he explored the artificial reef.
I wondered that too. Glad it wasn't just me thinking along those lines . . .
Kelly
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

ktb wrote: I wondered that too. Glad it wasn't just me thinking along those lines . . .
Looked like spearo blue camo to me. Doing marine bio research in spearfishing gear is like being a arborist and logger.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

ktb wrote:
lizard0924 wrote:
ktb wrote:

I wondered that too. Glad it wasn't just me thinking along those lines . . .
If the guy splashed with his reg out of his mouth, wasn't it covered in sticky gooey oil that takes 30 minutes to wash off? How do you then use that reg?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Old Nubbins wrote:Competing in an internet argument is like competing in the Special Olympics.

You may win, but you're still retarded....

:smt064
I for one find this highly offensive!! I know many people personally who do compete in the Special Olympics... I am actually very proud of what they are able to accomplish, and think anyone that says something like what you just said should be banned from the board. I would like to know why not one single mod has done anything about this post?!?!?

It was totally uncalled for and not even close to appropriate.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

2loud4u wrote:
Old Nubbins wrote:Competing in an internet argument is like competing in the Special Olympics.

I for one find this highly offensive!! I know many people personally who do compete in the Special Olympics... I am actually very proud of what they are able to accomplish, and think anyone that says something like what you just said should be banned from the board. I would like to know why not one single mod has done anything about this post?!?!?

Brendan
Ohh come on, one post like that does not call for banning a person from the board. More then likely he didn't even mean it in an insulting way.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

My Pimp hand is vibrating... just saying
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

citycatred wrote:
2loud4u wrote:

Brendan

Ohh come on, one post like that does not call for banning a person from the board. More then likely he didn't even mean it in an insulting way.
So if there is another way to take that please let me know... And I think you would have another opinion if maybe you had a child in the Special Olympics... You would not think it was so funny then would you?

Brendan
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

2loud4u wrote:
citycatred wrote:
2loud4u wrote:

Brendan

So if there is another way to take that please let me know... And I think you would have another opinion if maybe you had a child in the Special Olympics... You would not think it was so funny then would you?

Brendan
If you would consider that the word mental retardation, shortened to retardation, is pretty much the most common way of expressing a person with a mental handicap you could see that it is more then likely that old nubbins did not mean to be offensive. Its the same with "Indian vs Native American" and "midget vs little people" it all has to do with what is considered "politically correct" vs what is commonly used. Imagining that I had a child who competed in the Special Olympics which is hard to do since I do not have children or would know how I would act, I would still see the point he was trying to make. Which was that even if you do win it will not change you, you will still have the same capabilities you were born with. Yes, he could have used the politically correct term, but it would be the same point none the less. What I was originally trying to justify was that he does not need to get kicked off the board for one comment, it would be stupid, he was just making a comment that happened to include a subject that some people happen to find "improper".
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

citycatred wrote:.....I would still see the point he was trying to make. Which was that even if you do win it will not change you, you will still have the same capabilities you were born with.
Not how I took it.....
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Geek wrote:My Pimp hand is vibrating... just saying
For some reason i have this urge to watch "the ringer".....
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

2loud4u wrote:
citycatred wrote:
2loud4u wrote:

Brendan

Brendan
Yes, I would... because I have a sense of humor.
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

From now on, instead of saying "retard" or "that's so retarded," I'm going to say "leotard" and "that's so leotarded." I won't be mocking the mentally challenged, just the physically gifted. I will pick on the strong—and the limber—and not the weak.
-Dan Savage

I too condone the use of leotarded... because leotards are just plain stoopit.

Now everyone... please stop being such sensitive leotards.

Aloha extra hard,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Best post in this thread was...
ktb wrote: SQUIRREL!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

talk about a total :offtopic: :threadjacked:
Now back to the original topic...

Anyone who attempts to dive in that oil / water, is just plain... :shootself: #-o
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

2loud4u wrote:

Brendan
it seems this was an attempt at humor in poor taste. unfortunately, we cannot ban a user every time this happens or we'd have no one users left who would be able to post. :tomnic:

Nubbins has been a fine user so far and we will forgive him this one trespass in the hopes that he has learned a lesson, and tries not to offend anyone any further.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

spatman wrote: it seems this was an attempt at humor in poor taste. unfortunately, we cannot ban a user every time this happens or we'd have no one users left who would be able to post. :tomnic:

Nubbins has been a fine user so far and we will forgive him this one trespass in the hopes that he has learned a lesson, and tries not to offend anyone any further.
:goodpost:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

My intention with that comment was to bring some lighthearted humor to the conversation, I can see now that it was a poor decision.

However, while trying to be a bit edgy in illustrating the silliness of some of the arguments on this board, I believe I have gained some valuable insight as to why so many of these types of arguments seem to be happening.

I will not apologize for being a bit crass, that is how I am at times, but I will no longer bring it to this forum.

Lesson learned.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Old Nubbins wrote:My intention with that comment was to bring some lighthearted humor to the conversation, I can see now that it was a poor decision.

However, while trying to be a bit edgy in illustrating the silliness of some of the arguments on this board, I believe I have gained some valuable insight as to why so many of these types of arguments seem to be happening.

I will not apologize for being a bit crass, that is how I am at times, but I will no longer bring it to this forum.

Lesson learned.
OK, well maybe I overreacted, maybe not. I am willing to accept that your intentions with that statement were not as I perceived. I just read the post and it just pissed me off to no end. I spend time helping out when I can to take handicapped children and kids of lesser means out to do things that everyone else takes for granted... and to see the joy that some of the smallest things bring these kids is the best feeling in the world. So I just took it as a personal insult. I mean, if you had said that same statement but instead referred to another race, like a stereotype, I would know you were just saying it in good humor, but anyone of that race would not find it at all funny and would be up in arms about it.

With that said, I will let it go. I guess it really doesn't do any good to get myself worked up.

Brendan
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

:grouphug:
kenpodan
Avid Diver

Post by kenpodan »

Heck, I've got a kid who could compete in the Special Olympics (never bothered to sign him up though...bad daddy!) and I thought this was funny as hell.
Sometimes we just gotta learn to relax...
:taco:

Old Nubbins wrote:My intention with that comment was to bring some lighthearted humor to the conversation, I can see now that it was a poor decision.

Lesson learned.