Logging dives?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Logging dives?

Post by Grateful Diver »

Mortuus wrote:I like to log my dives because I know one day I will really enjoy reading my notes about some dives, and watching my experience grow all over again. I just hope that no one ever requires buddy signatures from me. I stopped getting those after about 60 dives. Too much of a pita
The signatures thing is agency-specific ... not all agencies require them, and not everyone dives by PADI standards.

As for reading a log book, mine's mostly numbers ...
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Great thread!!! I just completed my OW, and was just wondering how long and what type of logging other might be doing. I think I will do a hybrid of paper and puter logs.

As for paper logs, what replacements are you guys using. To date, mine are the small SSI logs but I can see that I will need more shortly (hopefully very shortly).
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

KneeDeep wrote: As for paper logs, what replacements are you guys using. To date, mine are the small SSI logs but I can see that I will need more shortly (hopefully very shortly).
Just buy a small notebook. Rite-in-the-rain makes good ones although the paper doesn't like ink, and pencil smears over time.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

KneeDeep wrote:Great thread!!! I just completed my OW, and was just wondering how long and what type of logging other might be doing. I think I will do a hybrid of paper and puter logs.

As for paper logs, what replacements are you guys using. To date, mine are the small SSI logs but I can see that I will need more shortly (hopefully very shortly).
I've got a printer version of the SSI logs, but you'll need a hole punch, and cut the paper to size.

Lemme know if you want it.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I used to print my dive logs. But after collecting a file drawer full ... without ever having had anyone ask to see my log in order to dive ... I stopped that process. Now I just keep everything on my hard drive. If someone wants to see my most recent dive logs, I'll show them the last hundred or so dives on my dive computer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
NWBoiler
Frequent Bubbler

Post by NWBoiler »

I stopped logging my dives back in 32 at about 40,000..... :rofl:

My 2 cents......I am much like the rest of you that have posted. I log/download my dives (and have from the start) and like Zendiver, I enjoy logging my dives it completes the circle. I have been asked for my logbook in Florida and overseas in the Pacific. Like Laura pointed out, it is for liability coverage of the dive operator and our own safety as divers.
Does all black gear really provide a more streamlined dive rig?...... I Think Not!!! Go DiiR (Do it in Red)!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

NWBoiler wrote:I stopped logging my dives back in 32 at about 40,000..... :rofl:

My 2 cents......I am much like the rest of you that have posted. I log/download my dives (and have from the start) and like Zendiver, I enjoy logging my dives it completes the circle. I have been asked for my logbook in Florida and overseas in the Pacific. Like Laura pointed out, it is for liability coverage of the dive operator and our own safety as divers.

I'm actually in awe of my friends that log their dives. I wish I was disciplined enough to do it, but I'm just not. I think its awesome, and potentially a great learning resource. What I do have is an extensive file of my written checklist that I fill out every time I assemble my Meg. Looking back at it, I wish I had added more details......maybe I should do that. It's not a real dive log, but it kind of.comes close....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I use a Sensus Ultra, and download my dives every other year or so. Love it. Only problem is when I happen to do an unplanned dive somewhere (like I did in Panama a few weeks ago), there's no way to input those dives in my log.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tangfish wrote:I use a Sensus Ultra, and download my dives every other year or so. Love it. Only problem is when I happen to do an unplanned dive somewhere (like I did in Panama a few weeks ago), there's no way to input those dives in my log.

An UNPLANNED dive???!!? What the hell are you talking about?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Those of you that do log, what dive logs do you guys like? Im going to need a new logbook very soon. Ive seen the SSI ones and those look pretty good. But if I recall correctly, they were just pages, right? As opposed to the PADI ones which are actual books. Anywho, I like switching my dive logs up every now and then. Just trying to figure out what all is out there
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mortuus wrote:Those of you that do log, what dive logs do you guys like? Im going to need a new logbook very soon. Ive seen the SSI ones and those look pretty good. But if I recall correctly, they were just pages, right? As opposed to the PADI ones which are actual books. Anywho, I like switching my dive logs up every now and then. Just trying to figure out what all is out there
I use a standard log book binder, and print my own pages.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Me too.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

oldsalt wrote:I didn't log dives for over 20 years, then a dive charter operator in Hawaii asked to see our logs and divided us up into sharks and guppies based on our logs. I dived with the guppies on a wreck I had penentrated before but was only allowed to swim around the upper decks on this dive. I have since kept logs, and have enjoyed doing so. Last summer a charter operator on the East coast initially denied my participation on a dive trip because I lack tech diving certs. Upon viewing the number of deep cold water dives in my log he reversed his decision and included me.
-Curt :rawlings:
Just curious: Sea Tiger/YO? Operator?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Logging dives?

Post by Zen Diver »

I have a template that I use as well (to print my own). I liked being able to customize the data I track. Shoot me a pm if you'd like a copy of it.

Valerie
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I have my own design that I made in photoshop too. I just dont have a printer xD
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Logging dives?

Post by cardiver »

I use, "Dive Book Pro" on my i phone.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Tangfish wrote:I use a Sensus Ultra, and download my dives every other year or so. Love it. Only problem is when I happen to do an unplanned dive somewhere (like I did in Panama a few weeks ago), there's no way to input those dives in my log.

An UNPLANNED dive???!!? What the hell are you talking about?
We'z all gonna DIEEEEEEEEE! :eek: