What training do we need next

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: What training do we need next

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwcid wrote:Not sure what you mean when you ask if I can get oxygen there.

There is not any there now. We do have a local gas supplier so getting it should not be a problem. Funding and/or an agreement with the sheriff will be the things that need worked out.
I meant it not a rediculous drive to a gas supplier.
Actually before you talk to the Sheriff you might want ot take the actual scuba class and understand what you "get" with nitrox vs not. The Sheriff can't use nitrox under L&I rules.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

kitsapdiver wrote:I figured I would throw this out there as well. I obviously think Rescue and Nitrox are your next two dives. Nitrox is a great gas for extending the NDL especially in the 80-100 foot range.

I think you're wise to hold off on tech classes or gear yet. A lot of people look at a class like "intro to tech" to get an understanding of the gear they'll need, and some basic instruction, but for those classes they expect you to have doubles, all the equipment and be on an immediate path to technical diving. A more suitable class might be something like Brian's UTD-Essentials Class. Essentials targets recreational divers with all types of long-terms goals. I've never actually taken it so I don't know but a few things I think you might get from it that would be useful are:

-A good discussion on gear configuation that would carry well into a tehcnical configuration if you went that day someday.
-A discussion on gas planning which is probably super important for the depths that your talking about.

Even if you talk to someone like Brian and determine that his teaching style or methods aren't suitable to your diving there are other instructors who teach gas management and equipment configuation "mini's". Bob Bailey comes to mind. For the most part those aren't necessarily certification classes and don't get you addditional depth ratings, or anything, but they are powerful nuggets of knowledge. There is a point after OW/AOW/Resuce where there just needs to be some maturation by means of exposure to equipment, methods, styles, etc and I think that's why people say.... JUST GET OUT AND DIVE!

I took Brians UTD Essentials class in June and think it would be a good option for you as a follow-up to Bobs AOW class. The class isn't really technical training, but focuses on the baseline skills you will need before tec. Its also a sanity check as to where your skills really are.

UTD Essentials class doesn't really have prerequisites, but the more comfortable that you are with the skills that Bob taught you in AOW the more you will get out of the class.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwcid wrote:Not sure what you mean when you ask if I can get oxygen there.

There is not any there now. We do have a local gas supplier so getting it should not be a problem. Funding and/or an agreement with the sheriff will be the things that need worked out.
I meant it not a rediculous drive to a gas supplier.

Aaahhhh. Nope, about 8 blocks away from compressor.
Actually before you talk to the Sheriff you might want ot take the actual scuba class and understand what you "get" with nitrox vs not. The Sheriff can't use nitrox under L&I rules.
Did not know about the L&I. In theory the set up would be there and "available" for certified users. As it is right now only certain people have been trained on using our fill station have access to it. The plan would be to set up a similar system for for the Nitrox.

I know I need to do much more research into this and something that will take a few months to get done.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

BillZ wrote:
kitsapdiver wrote:I figured I would throw this out there as well. I obviously think Rescue and Nitrox are your next two dives. Nitrox is a great gas for extending the NDL especially in the 80-100 foot range.

I think you're wise to hold off on tech classes or gear yet. A lot of people look at a class like "intro to tech" to get an understanding of the gear they'll need, and some basic instruction, but for those classes they expect you to have doubles, all the equipment and be on an immediate path to technical diving. A more suitable class might be something like Brian's UTD-Essentials Class. Essentials targets recreational divers with all types of long-terms goals. I've never actually taken it so I don't know but a few things I think you might get from it that would be useful are:

-A good discussion on gear configuation that would carry well into a tehcnical configuration if you went that day someday.
-A discussion on gas planning which is probably super important for the depths that your talking about.

Even if you talk to someone like Brian and determine that his teaching style or methods aren't suitable to your diving there are other instructors who teach gas management and equipment configuation "mini's". Bob Bailey comes to mind. For the most part those aren't necessarily certification classes and don't get you addditional depth ratings, or anything, but they are powerful nuggets of knowledge. There is a point after OW/AOW/Resuce where there just needs to be some maturation by means of exposure to equipment, methods, styles, etc and I think that's why people say.... JUST GET OUT AND DIVE!

I took Brians UTD Essentials class in June and think it would be a good option for you as a follow-up to Bobs AOW class. The class isn't really technical training, but focuses on the baseline skills you will need before tec. Its also a sanity check as to where your skills really are.

UTD Essentials class doesn't really have prerequisites, but the more comfortable that you are with the skills that Bob taught you in AOW the more you will get out of the class.
Thanks. We will look into that. Maybe work on trying it this spring.
John

nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

If you are sure about moving to doubles, taking essentials with them might really give you a boost to working out any bouyancy issues you might have. Brian, along with Jeanna, are really helpful in that regard. The other avenues may help with this as well, but I have experience with Frogkick diving, and can recommend them. We took it in a single tank configuration, but others took the class in doubles. You learn a lot of skills in that class, all of which are performed while (hopefully) maintaining bouyancy control.
Another thought, if your wife will be going sidemount, why not both go that route? It seems that if you are going to be diving together mostly, having your gear configuration the same might be nice, and perhaps more cost effective. Of course, that brings up another factor, is there anyone in the area that actually teaches sidemount?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nwbobber wrote:Of course, that brings up another factor, is there anyone in the area that actually teaches sidemount?
Other than one instructor down in Vancouver WA who teaches a basic intro to sidemount class, I don't know know of any other.

That being said, there are a few of us that have been diving sidemount for awhile who would be available to help mentor or give advice should anyone decide to give it a try.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I am not sure about moving to doubles that is why I am asking these questions. That is why I was wondering about some kind of "tech" intro to learn about these kind of things. It also seems to be needed to do the type of diving we would like.

Right now we do have our gear basically standard and very close to DIR. The weight of doubles would be no problem for me but would be for the GF that is why I was thinking side mount. She could either take one tank at a time to the water or I could help her. I guess she could do doubles as long as I could pack her rig to the water for her to gear up. Maybe side mount is not the answer which is why I am asking questions.
John

nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Well I think that an essentials class of some type (UTD is not the only option) would be time and money well spent regardless of which way you go. Rescue fits in there too. I appreciate having a buddy who can keep an eye out for potential situations and make good judgments to keep things cool. And if things are not cool, well, its good to have a clue how to deal with the situation. I think you have some good background here, and would probably get more, not less, out of a rescue class than someone without that background.
If I could do my path over, I would do the essentials first, rescue second. If your in water skills are dialed, I think you get more out of any other activity, as your mind is freed to concentrate on what it is you are supposed to be learning.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Well as your previous 112' dive illustrated, you aren't gas volume limited right now. You are bottom time limited. So I don't think carrying enough gas for 2 or 3 very short dives in doubles is getting you anything except a huge reserve, and a sore back.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

CaptnJack wrote:Well as your previous 112' dive illustrated, you aren't gas volume limited right now. You are bottom time limited. So I don't think carrying enough gas for 2 or 3 very short dives in doubles is getting you anything except a huge reserve, and a sore back.
+1. :supz:
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I like redundancy for deep dives, though.

Your girlfriend may surprise you. At least, I surprised me. Walking in doubles really hasn't been a problem for my back. What I have to watch is moving them around on land, and I've gotten smart about what I can and cannot do with them.

If you guys come out one of these days and want to spend some time, either in OW or in our pool playing with doubles, just let me know. We have several different sets.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks Lynne. We will have to take you up on that. One of the next times we make it over that way we were going to see who would meet up with us that has some of this kinda of gear.
John

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:I like redundancy for deep dives, though.
yeah well there's deep and then there's deep
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
LCF wrote:I like redundancy for deep dives, though.
yeah well there's deep and then there's deep
That's deep.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

LCF wrote: Walking in doubles really hasn't been a problem for my back. What I have to watch is moving them around on land, and I've gotten smart about what I can and cannot do with them.
like don't do the low tide @ Redondo, entry :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BASSMAN wrote:
LCF wrote: Walking in doubles really hasn't been a problem for my back. What I have to watch is moving them around on land, and I've gotten smart about what I can and cannot do with them.
like don't do the low tide @ Redondo, entry :smt064
Hell Cove2 at even a +1ft tide is dreadful