Argon for warmth?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Argon is good. I use argon and an electric heater. 5thD told me what undergarment to buy from them. $425 and 4 years later I still freeze when I don't have the heater. They wouldn't take it back because I had used it for a while while I was trying to make it work for me. Right now I cant justify buying the right undergarment for another $400. I am still bitter about it.

There are many ways you can go about filling it yourself. Richard and I use a hydraulic cylinder to boost from a K bottle.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

FYI, at my supplier a K (250 cf) costs $80. The booster cost me ~$250.

I think I've saved at least that (maybe 2x as much) in gas and time not driving to a shop already.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I highly recomend getting a T bottle. They come in at 2500psi rather than 2000psi.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

lamont wrote: If you swim over to the rubble piles in cove 2 you can pick up a brick or two to help keep you down... hanging onto the boundary cable also can work, but you'll tend to go upside-down... =)
]

Yeah, next time that happens (I tell myself there will not be a next time) I will stuff some rocks in my drysuit pockets. That wasn't fun.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

T's are too heavy and expensive (the cylinder not the gas) IMO
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

The tanks might be a little more to begin with but the gas is cheaper and starts at a higher pressure. I'll get 10 - 15 fills before I even think of bosting.

They are damn heavy but easy engough to push around.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't see the benefit. You start with 300 cf at 2400 psi and don't boost the first 15 fills. I start with 250cf at 2200 psi and start boosting right way. We both use the bottle down to 400 psi, you return yours with ever so slightly more than I do.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

It typically comes in at 2500psi. Boosting, while it may be fun it's also a pain and waists both drive and supply gas. A short whip is what I use to fill my 6cf argon bottle. That way when I am done the only gas lost is the small amount in the whip. HP drive gas takes time to pump and puts wear and tear on your compressor.

I like not having to boost right away. If I am doing just one dive I transfer from the supply tank untill it's below 1200psi. Only then do I boost.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Must be those leased bottles. Central supplies owner Ts of He at 2400 by my gauges. I got the K of argon cause the bottle was ~$50-60 cheaper (refurbished from Fire King).